6 degrees below zero and we have no heat

Well this was my welcome to the New Year .. I woke up this morning and said brr it’s cold and went to check the thermostat. It was at 48 degrees. (The photo shows 52 because I have an electric heater plugged in near it) I usually keep it at 62 and saw it was turned to 70 and realized my boyfriend was in the cellar checking on it. I’ve lived here since 2003 and have never had the line freeze no matter how cold it got outside. My boyfriend looked in and said the oil in the tank has a thin line of ice across it. I guess from now on I will have to have them put 1/4 of the tank with kerosene in the winter instead of just fuel. I have a robe and slippers on like usual. My fingers and toes hurt they are so cold.
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
Is there anything your boyfriend can do to fix it? It’s going to be a long winter
He has been in and out trying to get it to work for the last hour. I feel so bad it’s so cold out there for him to be out there. He hurt his back a few days ago and has been so sore.
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
@shaggin maybe you should contact a technician.
@Madshadi my father in law in a plumber he told us what to do but he has a lot of work to do today so he couldn't come himself
There is a heater you can put where the tank is to heat it up and make the liquid more fluid?
The tank is outside and the way its so low to the ground and so close to the house it was very hard to get to the lines. He turned on a heat tape thing in the cellar and put a hair dryer outside and a blanket around that. It took about an hour and a half to get it going. It's running now but by the sounds its making its not going to stay running.
@shaggin I hope it will continue to run, it's horrible to have a cold house.
@LadyDuck I was right it didn't even get fully warmed up and has quit again.
It never gets so cold here. But I have lots of warm clothes around as I don´t have central heating.
We don’t have central heat either. It’s one of the things my boyfriend suggested I get in the past but I think it would be very costly to install.
@shaggin In what part of the US do you live?
@marguicha I live in Pennsylvania near New York
I do hope you will be able to get it fixed and be warm and cozy again
My boyfriend got it running and left to get his son. 10 minutes after he left it quit again. My father came and dumped in 20 gallons of kerosene for me and got it running again. It started up and 5 minutes later quit again. My brother in law and sister in law stopped by on their way home to Maryland and my brother in law puttered around and got it running and it kept quitting. By about 3pm the line was finally all thawed out and the house was warm. I got to shower and do laundry and dishes and I was so happy!
@shagginI I am just glad that you have heat again! Took time but all that matters is you have it!
@Marty1 Its going to be 10 degrees colder tomorrow morning so I'm having anxiety worrying it will freeze up again when there won't be anyone around to help me.
Ugh, why do these things have a tendency to occur on a holiday when the professionals are available but at a premium. I do hope that you can rig something up to keep warm if not get it fixed.
The line was frozen up so it took about 6 hours to get it unthawed. Thankfully my father in law is a plumber and so are my brother in laws. It was a busy day for my father in law yesterday as many peoples pipes were frozen.
@shaggin I'm glad that you got them unfroze and I hope that they don't freeze again. Its a terrible winter so far.
@Juliaacv I had anxiety last night worrying I would wake up to no heat again but thankfully everything is running great this morning!
I hope you've got it taken care of and you've got heat again. That is a chilly wake up.
It took most the day but by 3pm we were warm and the furnace stayed running. I am so nervous since it will be 10 degrees colder tonight that the line will freeze up again.
@shaggin I hope it didn't.
@just4him nope. It was warmer today (20 F) and everything was running perfectly when I woke up thankfully!
I didn't know heating oil could freeze...
Yep apparently it can because around here we are supposed to mix it with kerosene to keep it from freezing. I haven't ever had a problem so I stopped adding the costly kerosene many years ago. I learned my lesson today!
@shaggin I hadn't thought about it really, but I know diesel fuel can turn 'slushy' in cold weather so I guess it would affect heating oil as well.
@JolietJake The buses here for school break down all the time on cold mornings as the diesel gels up more then regular fuel. Due to that on very cold days they have started doing an hour or two delay in the morning to give the buses time to warm up before driving them. When the buses broke down and there was no heat at well below zero the kids got cold very fast. They would have to send another bus to go pick them up and then hope that one would stay running.
@BarBaraPrz (20807)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Can he poke a stick or something at the ice to break it up?
The thin layer of ice on top wouldn't have actually been causing the problemso breaking it up won't help much. I'm going to get a can of dry gas to dump inside in a few days to hopefully get rid of some of that water in it. The pipe from the furnace to the house had oil all froze up inside it. It took hours to get it unthawed. My dad put 20 gallons of kerosene in the tank so hopefully that will mix with the fuel oil well enough to keep it from freezing up. I think the way the tank is sunk down so close to the ground its going to continue giving me problems.
@BarBaraPrz (20807)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@shaggin Maybe you should put a thermal blanket on it.
@BarBaraPrz I don't have one but that may be a good idea.
@topffer (36139)
• Hamburg, Germany
I hope that you will solve this soon, I suppose it can damage the equipment if the pipes start to freeze. And you should better not stay there if it cannot be repaired, such a cold is dangerous.
I suppose it is possible the equipment could be damaged but the fuel oil line is all unthawed and my house is nice an my warm today thankfully.
@topffer (36139)
• Hamburg, Germany
@shaggin Wow, it is good that you managed to have it running again I heat the house with electricity, but with such low temperatures I would have the water pipes frozen. We are not used to low temperatures in my area, and the pipes are not deep enough in the ground. In my previous house I have been without water during a week because of that. I had to wait until the thaw, fortunately it never freezes during a long time here.
@redurnet (1588)
Oh my, maybe have lots of hot food and drinks and stay by the electric heater?
I had coffee but my kitchen was the coldest room in the house so sitting there drinking it made me colder than if I sat in the living room under blankets. The electric heaters I plugged in didn't help much either as the downstairs is so open.
I wonder if wrapping the line with insulation would help? I do hope that furnace problem gets remedied soon.
This sits so low to the ground that my boyfriend had to take a butter knife and dig out under neath it just to find the line. In the summer when it’s nearly empty I will have to have a couple guys lift it up onto cinderblocks.
I am so sorry! I know how you feel I did not have heat or power for 2 days with snow on the ground. I really hope that he can thaw ti somehow.
The heat tapes been turned on for hours. My dad dumped in 20 gallons of kerosene and the furnace still won't stay running.
Oy that doesn't sound like a good way to start the day. Hope you can get the heat back on
Not long after the dehumidifier wouldn’t stay running either and it made me realize I had no idea that there was a filter on it lol
Oh no! I would be freaking out
If my boyfriend was working and my father wasn’t in town I definitely would have been freaking out. Thankfully with the help they gave me I stayed calm.
@sjvg1976 (18404)
That's tough you guys are really going through the tough situations. Hope weather changes soon for you.
My son was worried its a sign of a bad year ahead. Let's hope not!
Better put on more layers of clothes.
I don't think I could have fit into any more. I had undies, knee high socks, leggings, jeans, slippers, a sweatshirt and a robe. I was still cold!
Not a good spot to be in right now. Did you call a professional?
My father in law is a plumber and he was busy until 3 taking care of other peoples pipes that had frozen up as well one being my aunt. My brother in law happened to drop by before heading home to Maryland and got it going for me thankfully. If it weren't for all my boyfriend did this morning and my father did this afternoon he wouldn't have been able to get it running. The pipes were so frozen.
@Dena91 (4663)
Sorry that you don't have any heat in this cold. I hope that it gets fixed soon so you can thaw out.
It was really cold for 6 hours but by 3pm my brother in law got it running. The line from the furnace outside into the house was so frozen. It feels wonderful to have a warm house again!
Omg! I hope he was able to fix it by now!!!!
He got it running after over an hour and left to get his son. 10 minutes after he left it quit. My dad got kerosene for me and dumped it in the tank for me. He got it started and 5 minutes later it quit. My brother in law happened to stop by to visit before going back to Maryland and he puttered with it and got it going and finally it stayed running by 3pm. I am so thankful when I woke up today and saw the house was warm. I had been very scared the line would freeze up again.
@shaggin Wow! I'm sure you are thrilled it's running well again. Thank goodness!
@DianneN I am beyond thrilled! I told my boyfriend he is already off to a really good start to winning boyfriend of the year Well the iPod battery I dying and that means I have to plug it in and get back to cleaning.
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
Oh, WOW! Brrrrrr! Yes, even I would say that is a bit too chilly, Shaggin! (And I LIKE the cold!) If you need to, you are welcome to come stay with us... Of course, we would need to figure out how to divide up the chores around here... I could stay toasty in bed while... uhm... someone else shoveled the driveway and takes out the trash (grinning and giggling at you!) I hope your boyfriend can get the heater working and can figure out how to keep it running correctly.
Lol well shoveling is excellent exercise and since I have no man of the house I always have to do it. If you get to stay toasty and warm while I shovel I think I deserve a delicious dinner! He got it running then left to get his son and it quit. My father put kerosene in it for me and got it started and it quit again. My brother in law dropped by before heading home to Maryland and he managed to get it going. The lines were just so frozen up. Hopefully it won’t happen again if I keep 1/4 of it filled with kerosene from now on when it’s cold.
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
@shaggin I know you believe you need the exercise, Shaggin... so I am wondering if you REALLY want me to fix that delicious dinner? You realize that delicious means it is full of fat, calories or both!? I am glad someone was able to get it running! Hopefully, it won't freeze up like that again. (gentle smile.)
@DaddyEvil Everyone can use exercise I'm just to tired and lazy to stick to doing it. I don't check calories and never go with low fat options I like my food to be really tasty. But it has to be vegetarian so that limits your cooking options more. I didn't think got much snow where you are? Its supposed to be 16 below here tomorrow so I'm praying the lines stay unfrozen.