Welcome January 2018 - Anything Planned?

Image by LadyDuck  - Dressed table for New Year
Switzerland
The year 2017 is gone and forgot, let's welcome this New Year with some January facts and trivia. January 1st was declared first day of the year by the Roman Senate, in 153 B.C. The name January comes from the Roman god Janus, the God with two heads. The meaning, one head looks back to the past year and the other forward to the new one. The birthstone of January is the Garnet (dark red), the flower the carnation. Capricorn and Aquarius are the two Zodiac signs of this month. Some facts: January is "National Soup Month" in the U.S. The 13th is the International Skeptics Day - this is my day. The 21st is National Hugging Day - take note on your agenda. The 27th is Chocolate Cake Day - I will try to remember. How this year started for you? Anything planned for this first month of the year? Happy New Year to all myLotters with a photo of my New Year table.
Pretty table settings. I am writing out my resolutions now. No plans to leave the house today. Happy New Year!
Happy New Year to you Andria. We did not move from home at all today. Outside it is grey and it rains, we are so well inside.
Happy New Year Anna! I'm all for celebrating soup month since it's so cold here that soup sounds good. I'll be making a note on my calendar for hugging day and of course will participate in chocolate cake day too Hoping 2018 is a great year for you
Happy New Year to you and to your family. It's cold here too and I am going to make soups very often if it continues. I write down the chocolate cake day, a good excuse to eat chocolate. Let's hope that 2018 will be a good year for everyone.
• Olney, Illinois
I had planned absolutely nothing today, but one of the renters called and said their pipes were frozen so Boss and I are getting ready to go see what we can do
I am so sorry, having to go out with this kind of cold is nothing funny. Hope you can come back home quickly.
• Olney, Illinois
@LadyDuck Ended up having to fix pipes at two houses, but it could have been worse
@JolietJake I have heard that many houses have pipes problems right now in the States.
Happy New Years Anna to you and your family there. What a lovely table setting.
Thank you, a very Happy New Year to you, let's hope that this 2018 will be a lucky one.
@LadyDuck Yes luck and blessings to us all
I love your table decorations! It is gorgeous! I am waiting for Chocolate cake day and might attempt to make one that day! I didn't know that about the god Janus and two heads. Thanks, for the good information!
Thank you Jennifer, I like a table nicely dressed, not only for the holidays.
@LadyDuck I keep my table plain as I cannot decorate it like you or Onyx would make the decorations his toy as he often gets on the table! he is allowed to do that!
@Marty1 I know, you must be careful with Onyx around. Willy was not allowed to go down where the table was ready for our little party.
@nanette64 (14760)
• Fairfield, Texas
That is a gorgeous table setting @LadyDuck . I can see where January would be a 'soup' month in the US. The only real major thing I need to do is clear the 2017 files and store them away and get the 2018 in the file cabinet.
I hate to store files, but this is something I also have to do. If the cold continues, it will be a soup month here too.
@nanette64 (14760)
• Fairfield, Texas
@LadyDuck Yeah, I think Texas is gonna have a screwed up weather year.
@nanette64 We had a weird weather during all 2017, let's see if the trend continues.
The photo of your table looks so pretty! Do not have any fancy dishes like that. Will you be having guests over?
I bought those dishes two years ago to celebrate our 45th anniversary, but they are nice also for Christmas or New Year. No guests today, the table is only for the two of us.
@LadyDuck that really is a beautiful table setting
@Marilynda1225 Thank you, I sewed the table cloth, I liked the fabric.
@Platespinner (19310)
No big plans. We've packed away most of the Christmas decorations and are spending some time watching the Rose Parade on TV. Normally I wouldn't sit down to watch (though the TV would be on), but since my great nephew is marching this year, I'm sitting down to actually watch.
I understand that there is a reason to watch the Parade this year. I have removed most of the decorations, I only left the nativity, to wait for the 3 Kings on the 6th of January, when everything will go.
@sjvg1976 (15892)
My day was a normal day at work. For me January is a special month because of my birthday.
I wish you Happy Birthday in advance. In most countries today is a holiday.
@sjvg1976 (15892)
@LadyDuck thanks Anna. Hmm I also wished that we could have a holiday today as most of the people were tired. And me , I had A shift today, had to reach office at 6 AM.
@sjvg1976 Goodness, horrible to have to be at work by 6 AM the day after New Year's Eve.
What a pretty table setting ! Today we have a family get together at my parent's house - for a traditional Japanese New Year's feast. My sister in law has a birthday soon. The kids go back to school next week. Other than that, I am hoping it will quieter and less hectic than the past couple months!
I sincerely hope that 2018 will be quieter and a bit better than the past year. We still have one holiday, the 6th of January (Epiphany) and then kids go back to school.
@LadyDuck I looked that up. I guess here they call it Three Kings Day (it's not recognized as a holiday here). I've heard some of my friends say that they keep their Christmas decorations up until this day. I also forgot about Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday which is on the 15th . . . the kids get that day off school but not all get that day off from work.
@much2say This year the Martin Luther King Jr.'s Day is the 15th, it's the third Monday of January each year.
Your table setting looks so beautiful, I showed it to my husband as he loves the way that I will doll up the table too. But you outdo me! I look forward to feeling better during this coming year. I need to lose some weight in order to achieve that, which I am working on currently. We are very diligent in our saving, as every year we get closer to being able to retire. This year we will have to spend a large amount of cash as we need to replace the vehicle that my husband drives. Thankfully we won't have to borrow and pay interest, that is in our favour. Happy New Year, enjoy your day today.
Thank you Julia, I love do doll up the table, this is something I have always liked to do. We had to change our car last year, it will be good for some more years. Happy New Year to you, your husband and your family Julia.
@1hopefulman (21529)
Do I have to wait till the 21st to get a hug? Does in mean that on the 21st I can hug everyone I see? Nothing special planned but to try to stay healthy and happy! All the best!
I think that 21st is hug everyone, I think I will stay inside.
@1hopefulman (21529)
@LadyDuck If that is the case, I could get enough hugs for the year.
@1hopefulman Place a sign and go out that day.
@bunnybon7 (34058)
• Holiday, Florida
looks wonderful. not much planned except a doctors appointment with a lung specialist
Good luck for your doctor appointment and Happy New Year. Let's cross our fingers for a good (or at least not too bad) one.
@bunnybon7 (34058)
• Holiday, Florida
@LadyDuck yes just a not really bad one would be just as happy.
@Icydoll (2053)
My new year started visiting one of my old friends.enjoyed the day.your table picture is very nice .what receipe did you prepared for new year occasion?.have a great year Anna :)
I prepared a load of appetizers and smoked salmon with blinis and sour cream.
@Asylum (48071)
• Manchester, England
2017 has ended? I would have expected this to have been advised, otherwise how would I know what year it was.
Do you mean that nobody informed you that 2017 is over? You should have a look at myLot, people here know.
@Asylum (48071)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck I always seem to be left out and kept in the dark about such things.
@Asylum This is absolutely not correct, someone should have informed you.
The year started with a typhoon in our country but it's ok. Nothing serious in the place I live in, just some wind and rain. We started the new year shopping for my son and he got what he wanted once again. My biggest plan for this year is to apply for a US Visa. Don't have much expectation about that but family has been pushing me to apply already. If granted, I will visit the States this year.
Do you mean a tourist VISA or a VISA for immigration? I know that for some countries even to obtain a tourist VISA is not easy. I wish you good luck.
@LadyDuck A tourist visa. I have no intention of getting an immigrant visa in the US. I will just be there for a short vacation and nothing else. Thanks.
@toniganzon This is what I thought, the Green Card is a pain to obtain.
@alberello75 (13704)
• Genova, Italy
As a first day of the year, well, for me, it was not among the best. From this morning, I have a form of depression! Ok. But nevertheless, I still want to look forward. Just to signal, Italian celebration (and not only) 6th January S. Epiphany. (Epifania, bianca lasagna. Non importa, mia madre cucinerĂ  quello che vuole!) Thanks Anna, for remembering some dates of the month, which I did not know. However, Janus, has to do with my city Genova "Genoa", (please look at it, because, I'm pretty sure of this). Happy New Year dear Anna
I did not know you have the tradition of white lasagna for the Epiphany, I do not believe we had something specific to eat for that day in Milan. About Genova and Janus, there is a legend that says that the name Genova comes from Giano. The historic say the name Genova comes from "jenua", that means "Porta" (door). I am sorry you feel depressed. Happy New Year to you Alessandro.
@alberello75 (13704)
• Genova, Italy
@LadyDuck My depression could be caused by wrong medication, for my pathology! Even this damned "Olanzapine 5mg" brings me a lot of weariness, and I do not exclude that it could be the cause of my depression! On January 12th, I will have to "deal" with my attending doctor. However, the speech with her are almost always the same, for over 12 years, since I followed by her. On Giano, as you see, I was right. Thanks for the informations. Alessandro
@alberello75 I am sorry about your medications, I am pretty deceived by Italian doctors. You were absolutely right about Giano.
@dodo19 (28618)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I don't have much planned for today. My husband did make some plans with his sister. So, along with our kids, he's over at my mother-in-law's.
Did you not join the family to visit your mother-in-law?
@dodo19 (28618)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@LadyDuck No I didn't. I was tired and needed some time to rest. My husband was nice enough to let me have it.
@dodo19 Sometimes I also need to rest at home, with no one around.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
Lovely table setting, Anna. The year started well for my family and I. My cousin got married on New Year's eve so we had a wonderful family gathering. We have a family trip planned this weekend but other than that nothing else planned for January.
Thank you. You had an important celebration on the New Year's Eve. Enjoy your trip and have fun.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
@LadyDuck Thank you, I sure will.
@Madshadi (7348)
• Brussels, Belgium
It seems to be off to a good start. Like last year. I don’t follow any special occasions in January. Soup or otherwise.
I have nothing at all planned in January, no birthday or special occasions at all.
@Madshadi (7348)
• Brussels, Belgium
@LadyDuck life here seems to be picking a specific routine. No need for any planning