Question of the Day- Dog Limits

By DB
In my town in New Jersey (USA) we have a municipal code which states homeowners can own up to 5 dogs in their home. There have been concerns raised by citizens on our state to consider a uniform law establishing a set limit on the number of dogs allowed in a home. Currently each municipality sets the limit. Should there be a legal limit to the number of dogs a homeowner can have? Do you foresee any problems if there were no dog limits enforced? What is the law in your state or country? Should there ever be exceptions placed on dog limits? Source- 101.5 FM radio Photo- google images/Change.org
@Asylum (48100)
• Manchester, England
As far as I know there is no legal limit here. However, I fail to understand why anyone would want more than 5 dogs. Surely it would be difficult to give each dog sufficient attention if you have a large number.
First Happy New Year too you too. Hope you are doing well. Your comment is well taken. Dogs do require attention as they are very social animals and that large a number makes me also question if indeed each pet would receive equal care?
@Asylum (48100)
• Manchester, England
@dgobucks226 Personally I would only own one dog at a time, but if someone has two it would be acceptable. The dogs would never be alone if there were two of them.
In our suburb, no more than three dogs over two months of age are permitted to be kept per household. Yep, I am for a legal limit due to those who own too many dogs may be breeding and selling those dogs, the owners have too many dogs but not the money to provide proper care, and keeping track of too many dogs may lead to some dogs roaming the town, which is illegal. No pet can be out and about here if not on-leash. Not sure what the laws are for other suburbs, though.
@Daelii (2671)
I live in the country and outside city limits. There have been issues where people dont take care of their dogs and let them run wild (not at all leash trained and run unsupervised). So dogs attack people. One neighbor shoot another neighbors dog because the dog attacked his wife. I wish we had limits. Its for better health for dogs.
@Daelii I wish you had limits too. Even a pet rabbit cannot be outdoors off-leash. It is for the protection of the animals as well as for the humans. Being hit by cars, disease, attacked by coyotes, and accidental poisoning can happen to any animal that is allowed to roam. My sister's 4 kitty cats are on-leash when they are outside with Sis. If a pet is off-leash, a fine is given to the owner. I have never seen a roaming anything around here.
Very good answer Deborah. I do have neighbors who are breeding dogs. It is constantly noisy as she leaves them outside during all hours day and night, so it is quite annoying. No wonder why they are out so much, with that noise and when they have litters it is constant noise 24/7
I think five are way too many unless you are living on a property with acreage. Dog owners need to be considerate of neighbors.
I am in agreement for exactly the reasons you stated.
@Daelii (2671)
I think there should be limits and consideration for size and type of dog. I have one dog and love them to no end. They however, are rather costly if you are going to treat them right. The monthly cost for the basics food, shelter, medical care can be costly. When people start collecting dogs/animals, they easily can start skipping care the animals need. Dogs are social creatures and deserve care and time with people. Its not about the quanity of dogs, but the quality of time and care that someone can give them. Does having 5 or more dogs really add value/life to the human taking care of them? is their true value and meaning to the dog's life? walks? time playing? petting?
Perfectly stated! All your comments in this response are right on!
@topffer (31193)
• France
The maximum in France is 9 adult dogs (the puppies are excepted). Above a special authorization from the state is required and can be delivered to breedings having specific equipments for dogs.
That is quite a high number for a regular homeowner to have. I wonder why they picked 9? Maybe they considered the double digit factor as excessive....
• Pamplona, Spain
For me there should be no more than three dogs in a house at any given time. The Laws are strict here too but you sitll have people that have loose dogs and dangerous roaming around freely. They overbreed dogs also which is totally unfair to the mother of the pups and the pups themselves.
These are homeowners with dogs who let them run loose? That is dangerous and owners should be fined. Overbreeding dogs does not seem healthy to the mother to me either.
• Pamplona, Spain
@dgobucks226 There are more stricter laws than before but you do get them that try to go against the grain and try to do what they want instead. Too many loose dogs here way too many even though the laws are in place.
@lovinangelsinstead21 That is too bad. Some people just think the laws are not meant for them. They just do what they want, I also see it myself in my neighborhood
• Marion, Kansas
If my community has laws, I am not aware of them, other than dogs out of the yard need to be on leash--supposedly. Our town is so small we do not have a police officer, so really no enforcement except if a county sheriff comes through. I do know I walked past one house and eight or nine Yorkies all ran out to the fence to bounce up and down and greet me. House and yard looked big enough for those small dogs. I worry about people being animal hoarders.
With little to no police enforcement I would also be concerned about hoarders and health issues to Heather.
I think dog ownership should depend on how much room you have for the pets. It would seem unfair to have 5 dogs in a small home
Very true! Unfortunately it happens way to often...
@sallypup (23234)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'm outside the city limits. For health and safety I wish there was money enough to help the animals in my county. Too much sadness at my neighbors. Very skinny, bony little dogs out in the cold and then there are the horrible cats. I love animals. These animals are just sad. If you limit how many animals a person can have, you need to have the money to back up the person enforcing the law.
It is a shame when people leave their pets abandoned. Why own them in the first place or at least bring them to an animal shelter where they have a chance to be adopted.
@sallypup (23234)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@dgobucks226 I haven't a clue on what goes through my neighbor's brains. They feed the horse then zip off back to town, little dogs and cats sitting there bony. My hubby and I are mostly vegetarians these days. I've been cleaning out my freezer, removing all the remnants from past Thanksgivings- hubby's rice and turkey soup, turkey gizzards. I've been giving them over to the neighbor animals. I even found some ancient ham rinds!
@sallypup That is very kind of you I am sure the animals appreciate it since your neighbor has no clue.
I think there should be limits and surely five is enough for any household. I don't know if we have limits here or not.
Thanks for your comment. 5 is a lot isn't it?
@dgobucks226 I can't help thinking of the expense if you are going to look after all of them properly.
@JudyEv Yes I agree. Like having children to feed.
@FayeHazel (12322)
Oh that is a tough one. I think that as long as a person has the money, and time to take care of a large number of animals responsibly - then there should be no limit. It interferes with a person's rights. However - owning animals is a big responsibility - one wouldn't want cases of animal hoarders. There must also be considerations made for neighbors -- a large number of dogs may not be considerate in town.
My opinion is how much is too much. Noise issues, proper caring of the pets, consideration of neighbors are all legitimate issues as you stated. No easy answer but I do think limits are necessary in non-rural areas.
@FayeHazel (12322)
@dgobucks226 Noise issues is something I didn't think of inside of a town. The people in the house next door have 2 dogs that yap all.day.long - when the owners aren't there. Maybe it is true - a limit in town would be best. Maybe anyone rural with a large number of animals should be subject to checks - to be sure they are taking care of the animals
@FayeHazel Yes, I agree
@peachpurple (11805)
I see my neighbor with 3 dogs, that is the most
I am fine with that number myself.
@peachpurple (11805)
@dgobucks226 that is ok for a normal family if 4
Here the limit is four. Not sure what it is statewide.
That limit is not to bad.
@dgobucks226 - It's about right.
@bluesa (13228)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
In my gated community we're only allowed two small dogs because gardens are not very big. If people don't have a large piece of land for dogs to live on, then yes, there should be a limit.
Yep, I agree "C." Sorry about the rhyme Glad you had a nice New Year!
@bluesa (13228)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I do see a problem. Some people are such dog lovers they would over do that limit easy. I hope that most use their common sense and know how many they can really manage.
Yes, that is true! We have had people who were animal hoarders in our county and it really becomes a health hazard!
@dgobucks226 .....Yes, and if they can't take care of the animals adequately then everyone loses.
@KrauseHome (33769)
In all respects, that is actually a very good law, and would stop imbreeding and illegally trying to sell puppies, etc. Here in WA state there is no limit, and it Sickening especially the condition that some of the dogs have to live in. I wish there was a limit, and once repremanded it be impossible to continue to run more puppy mills, etc
Oh yes, I agree completely. How ridiculous that there is no limit. All the potential problems you mention can happen. How is that good for the dogs or neighbors for that matter!