A sunny but freezing New Year's day in Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The whole area was under a wind chill advisory from yesterday until noon today. It has expired but would not be surprised if it was issued again, It is bright and sunny but windy. and don't forget freezing! I was having a meal in my new crock pot this evening, I was making kielbasa which is just like Polish sausage with sauerkraut and some other unusual ingredients that sit in the crock pot five hours and makes such a good meal. I bought the sauerkraut in a jar and am unable to get the jar opened! So that means hot dogs for today! One of my big resolutions is to read more this year and keep track of how many books i read and what the titles are of those books. I am also going to start going to book club as Phyllis who is head of the club and a librarian( she is really great!) gave me a letter she wrote me she was going to mail to me but I showed up at the library that day so she handed it to me telling me how much they missing me and said about what book they are reading. There are some others I am still making plans to accomplish them. What did you do today? Have you any resolutions? if so, are any of them about reading like most of mine are?
I did not make any resolutions, yet I did set goals. I guess that the term resolution just makes me think that of the word temporary. Its just me. I have a goal set to improve my health, and I'm on a path to cook and eat healthier, especially my snacking.
That is what I do too. I thought that was meaning it was a resolution! I have to make plans yet to reach those goals!
@Marty1 I've got one in progress now, I am changing what we eat around here.
@Juliaacv That is a great one! I am trying to eat each day with at least two meals a day, something I neglected to do in 2017
A happy new year, and try to stay warm. Today is quite relaxing with a few family members and friends dropping by.
That sounds like a nice day! I am by myself this year with my kitten Better companion than most humans!
@GoodKylie (146)
I have been wanting to read all the books in the "50 books you have to read in your lifetime" !
Thank you so much for reminding me.I have seen plenty of those lists on the internet, and I am going to write them all down and try to read as many of them as possible! good luck with reading!
• Denmark
@Marty1 Read only the books which appeal to you. Reading is a good thing but not reading down a list someone else has compiled if the books are not interesting for you.
@MALUSE that makes a lot of sense. I am going to look at those lists and read reviews, professionally and by everyday readers to decide which ones I want to spend my time reading. I am still debating about a book I am reading that is written in a confusing way and is not that interesting but somehow feeling must finish it?
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
We've got freeze warnigns, Its supposed to be in the twenties and thirties here all week and I am not looking forward to it. I still need to email you the recipes. I will put together a few more for you to see if you like them. I'm sorry its taken me so long to get them to you. I have a couple resolutions. 100 books this year, and to finish and publish at least one book.
We should get up to 20 degrees one or two days this week, and everybody is saying it will be balmy that day! It is 3 degrees here now. Very cold. Are you a member of Goodreads? It can keep track of how many books as they ask one to set a reading goal of how many books we do read. I was thinking of setting a hundred as a goal too. I set that as a goal last year and didn't come close as it was a difficult year I hope the wind shifts and takes the arctic cold away from you! ( I think it has to do with the wind shifts?)
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@Marty1 I set it as my goal last year too but stopped keeping track halfway through. so I should get back ongood reads
@thislittlepennyearns I sm trying to become more active in Good Reads. I joined a couple of discussion groups I found that I want to get involved in them. I got sidetracked on the books I read and didn't keep track at all. I am writing down all titles for sure this year
It is -12F here, and Molly is delighted, but we are not. I do not make resolutions and just take care of matters when they arise. Keep warm, my friend.
I hope that -12 below is the wind chill rather than actual temperature as that is freezing. I think it is 7 degrees here. It probably is lower in the windchill as it is quite windy right now. Hope it warms up some of you. Our balmy weather should be here Tuesday and Wednesday at 20 degrees! Then another arctic blast by the end of week! You keep warm also dear friend!
@Marty1 No, -12 is the temp, but I think we are at 3 degrees now. I think we have the 20s coming the same time you do. Oh well, at least it is coming. You keep warm too, my little buddy!!!!
@Corbin5 Next Monday we are going to have 36 here! i am majorly excited! I am going to look up our coldest regular temperature ever as I don't recall it being below zero ever WE love you and Molly!
@KristenH (21244)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
That sounds like a great crockpot meal for dinner. Good resolution. I've read a total of 117 books last year! Reading and watching TV. Just staying healthy and gain weight. Hope to get agented and a pub deal by summer.
Wow! that is great you read so many last year! I do not know how many I read. I am setting a hundred books as my goal. are you still making as many crockpot meals as you were doing last year? if your book is as good as your writing here, then I am sure you will get a pub deal even before summer! have a great year reading and writing!
@KristenH (21244)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Marty1 Yes it is. I finished my last 3 books in a row yesterday. I've read 17 books last month. Good goal. You can join the 50 Good Reads Group List to list your reads. As for crockpot, just about the same with 3-5 meals, if you don't count side dishes. Aww thanks Jen. I'll share some news in a day or two that happened before Christmas. Thanks so much!
I hoping to be the healthiest me I can be in 2018. It is still really cold here too. Stay warm and enjoy your day.
That sounds like a super goal. I am hoping to be healthier just by eating every day which I did not do for 2017. I am sure you will be your healthiest ever in a matter of months! hope you have a great day and year and you keep warm also!
@Marty1 thank you Jennifer
Nope, I have a new life thanks to God! =) I hope you have a wonderful New Year!
That is great God is so important in your life! I hope you have a great new year and get even closer to God who should be such an important in all our lives!
• Riga, Latvia
:Love that piggy in the photo. Feels strange being in 2018. It was frosty here but then it rained all day. I too want to do more reading and I want to do some creative things like drawing.
I thought the piggy was adorable! So much better than the other New Year's pictures! I may try to get creative with trying to do crafts. Have not made any plans yet of what I will attempt but am going to look for projects on Pinterest. It seems all the happiest people I know do crafts. I hope you have a wonderful and productive new year!
That sounds like a good resolution. I hope you can do it. I hope to read more, but mostly I'll be writing.
Are you getting near getting another book published? I Hope you get at least one book to publishing state. I will be reading soon to start this year off right. How many books a year do you usually read?
@Marty1 I think I read four to six last year. i know I finished one a couple days ago.
@just4him that is good! do you have a goal for how many you want to read for 2018?
@m_audrey6788 (13170)
You got a nice resolutions there but I didn`t think about for myself I just want to start the year on whatever it`ll be and do the best I can to enjoy every moment of this year
that is a great attitude and you will be successful this year with such great thinking!
@Marty1 Thanks
@m_audrey6788 you are very welcome!
we had a nice lunch that last most of the afternoon.right now I am tired will be heading off to bed early tonight.
What did you have good lunch? Did you do your magic and bake something for the occasion?
I did, my main one is to stop proscrasinating. I may hae procrastinated a bit today but that was mostly, because I was stuck cooking in the kitchen.
Did you cook anything good? I can understand about procrastinating as I do that big time. I am still working on resolutions/goal setting and it is almost January 3! Is the book you mentioned reading last month helping you in any way?
No resolutions. I will be reading as I always do averaging a book a week.
That is super you read so much! I am trying to read a lot more than I did last year. I am aiming for a hundred for the year. I don't know if I will make it but sure will try!
No resolutions here
am so pathetic that I need these goals to improve myself!
@moffittjc (36855)
• Gainesville, Florida
You must have sent that howling cold air my way, because we have a wind chill advisory all day today! My resolution this year is to try and start all my resolutions from last year! haha Actually, I haven't made any yet, but generally I sit down at this time of year and plan out all my goals for the coming year, and then set up objectives along the way to help me accomplish them. It's going to be a busy and productive year!
I sent five plane loads of our cold air! I sent it all down to you and now I'm my area we are wearing shorts and flip flops as the brutal weather is gone! Thanks for accepting it! I have problems with the difference between goal setting and resolutions? I know somewhat what I wish to do but am lost after that?
@moffittjc (36855)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marty1 A resolution is just a general idea of what you want to accomplish for the year. An example would be a resolution to lose weight. A goal would define that more specifically, such as to lose 20 pounds this year. An objective would be the steps to help you achieve your goal, such as losing 2 pounds per month; eating 500 less calories per day; or exercising for 30 minutes each day.
@moffittjc okay, I get it now. I think i will set goals as that seems like it would be easier to accomplish goals than a resolution. I am good at making plans
I haven't made any resolutions but I am hoping to get around to making some monthly goals. One will be to with reading more books.
I like that idea of monthly goals. will reading more books be one you carry over from month to month? What is your favorite genre?
@Marty1 Reading more books will carry on from month to month. I like light-hearted books - nothing too violent or frightening.
@Marty1 I've read one about a lady convict who escaped to New Zealand and eventually made her way to America.
@Blondie2222 (19118)
I had a pretty good new years day also. It was cold here as well but I spent the day at my sister's hanging out with her and my niece. Then came home later at night and had a pot roast dinner and bed early.
That sounds like a super way to spend new year's day!! Your dinner sounds yummy. I have never attempted to make a roast of any kind but am going to try sometime this year. I was in bed early, too as I always am in bed before 6 pm!
@Blondie2222 (19118)
@Marty1 We put the roast in a crockpot with carrots, celery, onions and seasoning it was soo good. It was in the crock pot at 7am and was done by 6pm.
@Blondie2222 I love crock pot meals! I got a new Crockpot from my sister for Christmas and love using it! My cooking turns out better using it for sure! My new crockpot is 5 quarts my old one was 3 quarts and could not fit a roast in it
I'm going to try to read more too. I haven't been due to a cataract but, some days I can see really well. I am taking a supplement that is helping my eye sight in both eyes.
That is great the supplement is working so well. What is your favorite genre? What book are you going to start for the year?
@Marty1 .....I enjoy true crime and romance. It's a new Jude Deveraux one. New to me anyway.
@celticeagle I don't remember if I ever read anything by Jude Devereaux. If I did i I could not tell you which one it was or if I liked it. I have heard of her and will read one by her eventually.
Happy Happy New Year to you and try to stay warm! Good luck with your resolutions. I don't make any.
I am trying my best to stay warm! Is it colder than normal now in Florida? I heard 90% of the United States was below freezing yesterday? I was worried it might be too cold for you? The man on the talk show on the radio said it is 10pm now and 5 degrees.
@Marty1 Oh, that's so cold! Northern Florida is cold, but we, in South Florida, will be into the 50s on Thursday as a high. I have warmer clothes to wear and a some jackets just in case. It will be like fall was at home. Definitely not flip flop weather. lol
@DianneN that is good to know! I should come to Florida as my cousin and his wife asked me to come visit them in Tampa and stay with them at my dinner party. It is my favorite cousin! Be sure to dress warmly if it is not as warm as usual.