Why would someone not want to celebrate anything.

Chile
I have a couple of friends living with me. They had gone to the US four years ago to be with their children who live there. They had trouble with them and came back. They did not know where to stay until they could arrange to buy a house and get their nationality back. I took them in. I have been wondering how is it that they asked me. I did not see them more than 2 times a year when they were here and we did not call each other either. Now that they are here, I find them very different from the rest of the people I know. They don´t celebrate birthdays, Christmas or New Year. Hugo has called his sister only once since they arrived. And Lely has not spoken to her only sister for decades. One of those facts can happen, all of them together is not to understand much. Not by me, anyway. I pity them. Are they antisocial people?
@Madshadi (9008)
• Brussels, Belgium
Not celebrating holidays doesn’t surprise me actually. I know many people who are very social and friendly but don’t like those occasions for their own reasons. But the other things you mentioned I do find strange
Since they live with me, they spend most of the time in their bedroom. They don´t try to talk.
@Madshadi (9008)
• Brussels, Belgium
@marguicha oh I hope you can find a better friends to spend time with
@Madshadi After some time of trying, I let them be. I have given them a home, but it seems that that´s all they need. So I go out and do what I want. In 2 more days, I´m invited to San Fernando for a week.
not sure what the answer to this.
I wonder too.
@marguicha I am sure they must be a reason there.
Some people have different ways of doing things. Yoi would never have known those things aboit tjem before because you didnt know them as well as you do now that they are living with you.
None of my other friends are like this.
I wonder why they do not celebrate any holidays. Did you ever ask them why.
They say it is absurd. And thats the end of the conversation.
@1hopefulman (33792)
Maybe they are fed up with all this commercialism or the eating of so much junk food? I don't celebrate birthdays, Christmas or New Year either.
I don´t like commercialism either. But I have wonderful parties for my birthday. And it is not about having lots of presents either.
@1hopefulman (33792)
@marguicha In my family we never celebrated birthday parties. So I never developed the habit. We have parties many times during the year just to have a party and for no particular reason. Different strokes for different folks!
@1hopefulman I know. But if you go to a place, to live, you are supposed to do as Romans do.
• Uzbekistan
Have you asked them why they behave like this?
They just say that celebrating is absurd.
• Uzbekistan
@marguicha Is this attitude due to a certain religious leaning?
@MALUSE No. THey are not religious people. They are just a bit boring.
@peachpurple (12772)
My hubby is that type of people
And he doesn´t either have friends or family?
Strange people
They are.
@kobesbuddy (57569)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Some families fight and don't speak, for years. I don't fight with anyone, it's childish! Celebrating is a part of family life, we should enjoy:)
And even if we have troubles with the family, there are still the friends.
@kobesbuddy (57569)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@marguicha Maybe they don't actually have any friends.
@kobesbuddy It seems to me that that is the problem. But I guess I´d be absolutely depressed if I did not have any friends.
There is a religion that does not celebrate birthdays or holidays. I feel sorry for them. To me these times are good excuses to get with family. So I wonder how their family unit is without these added reasons to get together.
They are not religious. It is just the way they are. And it is not either that they are angry or anything. It´s just as if they had lost the joy of living.
@marguicha .....That is truly sad.
I remember the posts you submitted when you were expecting them. How much longer do you think they'll stay?
I don´t know. I hope that no more than a month more. Some of their papers are ready, but the holidays make everything slower. I hope they find a place to live soon.
@marguicha It is a big commitment to take in another family, even if you've been friends in the past.
There's nothing wrong with not talking to family, or not celebrating things. Or even being anti-social. those are actually quite normal around here.. but the whole asking to live with you when you hardly saw one another or talked part, that it weird and hope they aren't taking advantage.
I don´t think so. They came very distraught but now I hope they speed up what they have to do.
@marguicha like i said, i hope not
@cahaya1983 (10037)
Probably they just don't feel like celebrating special occasions like that because they don't have their family with them. But strange that they hardly communicate with them often.
They came back to Chile because they fought with their children. And they aren´t in speaking terms with the family they have here.
@valmnz (12890)
• New Zealand
That sounds like a sad sort of life if it's stripped of those pleasures.
I think so too.
@Daljinder (22196)
They might be just very private people. If we think about it, they don't HAVE to celebrate anything if they don't want to. Probably they don't like to spend money and consider it a wastage to spend it on a celebration? Could be that they have had some bad experiences during celebratory get-togethers that had put them off for good?
They might be. But they wrote to me a couple of months ago asking me if I could have them and I said yes, thinking that they had lost somehow all their money to rent a place. They came and quickly I learned that they were very well to do people. If they stay with me, I think, it can be either for the company or because they don´t want to spend any of it. If it is the first, they should do some things with me. If it is the other, it makes me angry.
@hereandthere (33073)
but did they regularly celebrate birthdays, christmas or new year with their family or friends when they lived there in chile before they left to go to the US?