Happy New YEAR Top Ten: Year of the Cat (#6)

@FourWalls (13326)
As this is the first day of the new year I decided I'd count down my ten favorite songs that have the word "year" in the title. It's too bad I didn't think of that idea one day sooner, so that the countdown would have been evenly split with five songs in 2017 and five in 2018. Oh, well. Here's the first "year" song for the new year....another one of those obvious selections. #6: Year of the Cat - Al Stewart Well, in the Chinese calendar, this will be the year of the dog, so he'd better redo this! (Actually, the year he did this song, 1976, was the "year of the cat" in the Vietnamese calendar.) Man, is this a great song. From the opening reference to Casablanca ("on a morning from a Bogart movie...you go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre contemplating a crime") to the great sax solo, this is a fabulous, terrific, and incredible song. And, if you listen to the full version, then listen to the "edited-for-time" radio version, you'll understand just why JJ hates the "radio edit" versions so much. About half of the song was cut from the single release. Criminal. This is a song where every wonderful second should be played and savored. Year of the Cat Written by Al Stewart and Peter Wood Recorded by Al Stewart From Year of the Cat, 1976 She comes in incense and patchouli:
YES!!!
@FourWalls (13326)
This song was Scar Approved.
Oh gosh, I would never have guessed this one. What a surprise out of left field!
@FourWalls (13326)
I know, where did I ever come up with this one???
@Liaoyue (17)
• Chengdu, China
ahhhhhh........I was born in the year of dog, this is my year.
@dgobucks226 (11538)
I have to second your comments on Al Stewart. Beautiful folk-rock sound with a wonderful story produced by Alan Parsons a can't miss hit for sure! That whole album was terrific as was his follow up album "Time Passages."
@FourWalls (13326)
I saw him three years ago and got to meet him after the show. MAJOR thrill.
@dgobucks226 (11538)
@FourWalls Oh yes, lucky you! Definitely awesome
I haven't heard this song in ages. thanks for sharing the link.
@FourWalls (13326)
You're very welcome. Such a great song, and I'm happy to recharge your memory batteries!!
One of my all-time favorites! To me, it's a perfect song.
A great choice and a blast from the past!