Do you still do sh*t like this?

Pleasant Hill, California
When I was young, I changed my own oil, changed my own spark plugs, changed my own tires, and thought I was one "earthy" guy. But somewhere along the way, I decided it was OK to let others change my oil, change my spark plugs, and replace my tires. Today, I replaced a burnt out headlight in my Nissan Xterra. It was a minor pain in the ass, but I got it done. I actually watched a few YouTube videos before I did it, and focused in on the one that explained it best. Do you still do repairs around the house and car? Or do you let "others" do it?
I stopped doing all that myself years ago. I used to even swap engines and transmissions myself, but started letting a mechanic do it these days. However, I did break down and do plugs/wires/distributor cap on Creeper Van a few months ago...$50 total invested for parts.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's pretty good. I'd get lost in a jiffy trying to do that.
Ig I do no kow jow to fix something I will ask uy son or call a repair manm
• Pleasant Hill, California
I could not read your comment.
is thatt readable n ow?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Hatley Ah, call a repair person. Do yo have friends who can do some of the repair work?
My moms always gone to places for the car. Besides adding oil or anitfreeze whatever.
• Pleasant Hill, California
You do that stuff?
@TheHorse nope. She does the topping off oil and antifreeze. I know zip about cars and I never plan to know anything about them.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Courtlynn Sometimes it's just a matter of "opening a bottle" and adding the right thing.
@ricki_911 (17846)
• Toronto, Ontario
I try to replace or fix things nyself. Its more due to cost for me. If i can't do it then i will pay someone.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's my philosophy too. I don't like to pay someone else if I can do it myself.
@BarBaraPrz (17990)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@TheHorse Me three.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@BarBaraPrz It's the "not knowing whether I can do it" that's the bothersome grey area.
@Plethos (5433)
Im limited in automotive repair, last thing i changed out was a burnt out brake light last september.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's about my limit too.
YouTube is your best friend when it comes to DIY repairs. I don't work on the car but, my dad or fiancé does sometimes.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm glad I got this one done. I thought I was going to have to go to the dealer and act all apologetic.
@TheHorse Glad you were able to figure it out!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@infatuatedbby Yeah, I'm glad its DONE. This "project" was NOT a "Buddhist exercise."
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I'm a little hopeless when it comes to changing lights and belts and stuff, but the other stuff I can and do do.
• Pleasant Hill, California
What is your "specialty"? I'm good with stereo-related stuff, but mediocre when it comes to cars.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@TheHorse Baked goods. Or painting. I used to paint as a profession like apartments and stuff. I guess that would be speciality. But food related is probably a little more so. You're a fairly decent recipe maker upper as well. :D
• Pleasant Hill, California
@thislittlepennyearns Heh. With recipes, I take something that's a "done deal" and add to it. With cars, I do the best I can and then ask for help.
@kobesbuddy (23752)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Jay takes care of some auto maintenance, but has a shop that takes care of major issues. As a single lady, I use to check the oil and did a couple piddly repairs. My Dad was a mechanic, so he helped keep my car in good running condition.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh. My dad was an English Professor. I don't now if he ever changed a car's oil in his life.
@Shiva49 (10601)
@TheHorse that makes me recall what a mechanic told me years ago. When he told a doctor owner he needed to top up radiator water that had gone almost dry, the reply was he never knew the car needed anything other than fuel, least of all water! siva
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Shiva49 Heh heh. I guess we all have our areas of expertise and areas of utter ignorance.
i work on the house..but i'll leave electrical and plumbing to others. ain't touching either.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Eh, it's just pipes and cables.
@TheHorse yea,but if i break it myself,it's my bill lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
@scarlet_woman Heh. Actually, I do leave pipes to others.
• Kathmandu, Nepal
Did you make the repairment work? I think you did. Yeah! I am young and I prefer making repairment by myself! Some of them works but some don’t!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I did it by myself. But I was tempted to drive the vehicle to Nissan and say, "Here, you do this."
• Kathmandu, Nepal
@TheHorse That feeling always comes! I do think the same sometime but doing ourselves will save some pennies!
@kobesbuddy (23752)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse My sister drove a Saab. She had to go 65 miles, to get any work done on it!
• Kathmandu, Nepal
Well, I don’t think doing repairment should be called as ‘sh*t’ . Working ourselves to slove our own problem is innovative and great work!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm glad I got this little project done. But I said a few "harsh" words as I was doing it.
• Kathmandu, Nepal
@TheHorse Well, yeah, I have experienced such things too! It’s depressing if ghings won’t go right!
@LeaPea2417 (16000)
• Toccoa, Georgia
My husband changes the oil in his car and mine.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Why do you let HIM have all the fun? It's kind of satisfying!
@bluesa (13228)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I can fix a few things around the home, but I leave the car repairs to "others". I would like to make it to my destination.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Changing oil and spark plugs was as far as I ever got.
@louievill (16605)
I'm a diy man, I do things so long as i can do or fix it but I won't hesitate to pay or call an expert if it's somethimg I do not know, not familiar or can't understand since I might cause more damage than good.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's kind of the way I look at it. Doing the binding on my expensive guitar was a challenge for me.
Youtube usually has the answer to almost anything. However, when it comes to cars, I'm never ever going to do it on my own. I know how to change light bulbs in the house though.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I just had to follow the sequence in the video closely. It really helped. It was a slightly dirtier and more challenging job than changing a home light bulb, though.
@WorDazza (8713)
• Manchester, England
I still try to do as much as I can around the house i.e. minor repairs and painting and decorating, but I let a mechanic handle the cars. Not sure I trust myself to 'fix' something that I'm going to be traveling in at 70mph.
@thelme55 (12482)
It is my hubby who is doing it as I have no idea about cars. I don´t even drive. Happy new year to you.
• Pleasant Hill, California
How come you decided not to drive?
@thelme55 (12482)
@TheHorse because I prefer to read when I am in a car and I am easily nervous. I am not really interested.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@thelme55 Reading in a car can make me queasy!
@Platespinner (19153)
My husband does most of the repairs around the house (things that he doesn't know how to do tend to sit for a maddeningly long time). He works on the geriatric Nissan pickup (it's older than our oldest child) and the oldest child's Nissan Sentra, but most basic maintenance gets done by someone else (he did his own oil changes until fairly recently, but it's no longer economically beneficial to do it himself).
• Pleasant Hill, California
I've driven Toyota and Nissan trucks most of my driving life. My pattern sounds similar to your hubby's. At a certain point it was just easier and more cost/time-effective to pay $29 or $39 to have someone change my oil while I graded papers or something...
@TheHorse especially since they also take care of disposal.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Platespinner Yeppers. I changed the batter in my truck the Other day and still have to get rid of the old battery.
I am extremely mechanically inept, but I actually have changed my head and tail/brake lights before.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I reckon it all depends on how easy it is to do. The headlight on my Nissan Xterra wasn't that bad.
@FourWalls (10665)
Oh, I used to do it. We had car service bays on the base, and I’d take my car there and change the oil. My headlight burned out in Georgia and I stopped, got a light and an Allen wrench, and changed it in the parking lot (that seemed safe, given my car had Hawaii plates on it at the time). Nowadays I’m lucky if I know where the hood release latch is.....
• Pleasant Hill, California
Everything's a bit harder to find than it used to be.