Enjoying the sunshine on New Year's Eve

Bunbury, Australia
It’s January 2nd and no doubt everything will soon be back to normal. I hope you all had a great New Year’s Eve and Day. Our photo shows the cornhole or bean bag toss game that we made after having first played it in France. In the photo is our niece, our neighbours and Vince’s younger brother in the red shirt. Just out of view is the three-sided shed that becomes our ‘Music Shack’ when we have our concerts. We had set up a table and chairs there while we played bean bag toss and petanque. We had our barbecue at about 8.30pm then filled in time with music and chatter till it was time to toast in the New Year. And did I happen to mention that it was a wonderfully warm, balmy evening?
@PainsOnSlate (20403)
it is colder than a brass seat in an out-house in the winter around here. The cold takes our breath away when we step outside. I have been staying in, but will get out today to get to the YMCA and start my after Christmas exercise... I love your photo and am jealous of your weather. We are going to head south in February...
I've been reading so many 'winter' posts I thought I'd share some sunshine and warmth with you all.
@JudyEv We're going south next month, just hope its hot there....
@PainsOnSlate Our friends are in Canada with all their family - 17 of them but the cold doesn't seem to be stopping their enjoyment.
@silvermist (20096)
Not familiar with that game.The thing is everybody getting together.(Do I see you trying to make some people jealous with that 'wonderfully warm,balmy evening' reference?)
@mayka123 (10756)
Yes we are getting jealous
Yes, that was my aim - to do a bit of bragging about our sunshine and lovely warm days. However today has been almost too hot for comfort.
@mayka123 (10756)
@JudyEv We were burning with jealousy and thats why you could feel the heat there.
That's it! Rub it in, for us Canadians who are freezing here. Rub it in!
Sorry, couldn't help it. I just thought there needed to be a bit of balance after so many 'cold' posts.
@mayka123 (10756)
I am not too familiar with the game. From your pic I notice all of you were having a good time. And like Phoenix mentioned we are jealous.
We played it first in France and decided we could make a set for ourselves. Haha, I was hoping to make a few people just a little bit jealous.
@mayka123 We made up the boards from scraps that we had in the shed. The tops used to be a desk that we made for the boys' room. We just had a long board sitting on two chests of drawers. We have much the same now in our office.
@mayka123 (10756)
@JudyEv Thats great. Made use of what you had around and had fun.
@dodo19 (33316)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I do envy the warm weather you're having. I wish it was warmer here. I guess one comforting thought is that it will start getting warmer at some point.
It was almost too hot here today. I'll have to stop bragging about our lovely weather.
@dodo19 (33316)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@JudyEv Well if you'd like, I'm willing to make a trade. I'll send you some cooler weather, so it's not so hot, if you'll send some of your weather up here.
@dodo19 I'll see what I can do.
We did not wait for the midnight. We had a very pleasant dinner at home by the fireplace. We watched the TV together, but we were so tired after being all the day in Italy that by 11 PM we went to sleep. It's not very cold here and today is sunny and beautiful.
Our neighbour went home before midnight as he was falling asleep but his wife stayed to see in the New Year. The rest of us went to bed about 2am.
@JudyEv We were too tired those last days of the year to stay up.
What is petanque? I have the feeling that your definition of warm and ours are two different things lol..I would call 70 F a warm and balmy evening. Cornhole is pretty popular here.
It was probably something near that but perhaps a bit warmer. Petanque is also called bocce or boules. It's very popular in France too with pitches seemingly in every village. You throw small balls at an even smaller one.
@JudyEv Oh yeah, I have played that, we call it bocce though.
@snowy22315 It's a fun game too.
@sueznewz2 (10121)
• Alicante, Spain
Happy new year to you judy... sounds like a good way to start the year...we are enjoying some warm Mediterranean sun and a lovely walk down the beach with our dog...
Thanks. I hope 2018 will be kind to you too and bring you lots of blessings.
@sueznewz2 (10121)
• Alicante, Spain
@JudyEv thank you
Oh lucky you! It was a great evening here too during the new year's eve but the first day of January, in the afternoon, we welcomed the typhoon. It's January 2nd here and it's still raining. Hope the typhoon goes out soon and we would see the sun tomorrow.
I hope the typhoon doesn't cause any damage. I guess you expect them at this time of year.
@JudyEv We don't usually expect typhoon this time of the year but nobody could predict the weather these days. I hope no damage in other cities.
It sounds fun, my friend. I must admit that I don't know how to play this game.
Glad your New Year's Eve was wonderful and warm. All the best for 2018.
Thank you. I hope you have a wonderful year too.
That's so nice to see for me at this time of the year. Everything is so frosty and cold. We held on to each other so tightly as we made our way across the parking lot from the car to the restaurant that we had reservations at on New Years Eve. We both had our dress shoes on, and they aren't made for walking thru snowy parking lots, but we clung to each other and held each other up so neither of us fell. It must have looked funny, but.....
You gotta do whatcha gotta do! It wouldn't be much fun falling over in a parking lot.
Right at this moment it's really a bit col over here but summer is coming up. Happy New Year.
Thanks. I hope 2018 is your best year yet.
@Madshadi (8924)
• Brussels, Belgium
Looks so warm and quiet. Like a summer day here
It was very pleasant sharing some time with friends and family.
@Madshadi (8924)
• Brussels, Belgium
@JudyEv do they visit you often? The same ones in the picture I mean. Or is it only for this time of year?
@Madshadi We see Vince's siblings (and my sister) reasonably often - every few months at least although one brother has now gone to Bali to live.
Happy New Year Judy! Sounds like fun. Ours was quite different, but warm and balmy enough.
I've managed to make a few jealous but most think 40C is too hot! In all honesty, we do too but it doesn't often get quite that extreme. I hope 2018 is extra special for you too.
@JudyEv I'd have to convert 40C into F, but I do know that's hot. We had a high of 77F and a low of 64F. Now you can convert. lol. It was perfect. Today is raining and windy. It's a good day to stay in and myLot.
@DianneN 40C equates to 104F so much too hot for comfort. But that is the exception, not the rule. 64 and 77 does sound perfect. I grew up with Fahrenheit so have a bit of a handle on both although I can't convert exactly.
And here I am 11 days behind. Hope 2018 is going well so far.
Thanks, yes. We have a house concert in a week so that's taking our attention at the moment. And we trying to cram the Summer Film Festival films into our programme. There are ten we want to see but they're only on certain days at certain times over about a month.
@JudyEv - Here's hoping for a successful house concert!
@teamfreak16 Thanks.
@amandajay (18071)
• North Shore, New Zealand
Wow it’s a wonderful picture. Hope it’s summer there
Yes, it's summer here now. Sometimes it is too hot to be outside like this but the evenings always cool down a little.
@amandajay (18071)
• North Shore, New Zealand
@JudyEv i see,,, when you gonna have winters? In July?
@amandajay Our winter officially starts in June and covers June, July, August.
@ilocosboy (35610)
Magical moment in magical time.
It was nice to share such a lovely evening with friends and family.
@ilocosboy (35610)
that is so true.
@aureliah (17743)
That photo looks awesome. I’m sure you had a really nice evening
Thanks and yes, it was a very enjoyable evening.
@aureliah (17743)
@JudyEv great
@nomus24g (24361)
never heard of this game...but it looks like you guys had an awesome fun...Enjoy!!
We played it in France and thought it was one we'd enjoy playing with our friends. So we made up a set for ourselves.
@nomus24g (24361)
@JudyEv thats good to hear...