Re-Purposing my Christmas tree

Bunbury, Australia
While Vince was in Nepal in 2016 and not due back till right on Christmas I made a base for a Christmas tree from some plastic mesh. You can see the basic tree shape in the photo. All I did then was cover it in tinsel and attach some ornaments. So that’s the backstory about the tree. We have been having a lot of trouble with rabbits. I have a lovely ornamental quince tree that was doing quite well until I noticed the rabbits had just about stripped it bare. So now I’ve put my tree base over the plant to keep the rabbits out. I am hoping the tree has enough leaves left to get going again. I was quite pleased when I came up with this idea. Hopefully it will do the trick really well - and it hasn't cost me a penny.
Can Australian rabbits climb up trees to feed on leaves? European ones couldn't do that.
Our rabbits don't climb trees either but while trees and shrubs are small, they eat the leaves and the young bark and can easily kill vegetation. This particular shrub might always need protection but others are okay once they are fully-grown or at least a lot bigger. The rabbits also dig a lot of burrows. At our place they are digging burrows under the shed.
@louievill (17607)
Cool idea, put the blinking Christmas bulbs to scare them off somemore
I'll put the tinsel back on and perhaps they'll eat that and get tummy-aches.
@louievill (17607)
Those darn rabbits are a perpetual pest for you down under.
They are. We will never get rid of them completely. The most you can hope for is to keep them under control.
I think Australia is an amazing land since it seems everything can grow very well there, the rabbits are the good examples. I even imagine that rabbits may be like rats in your country. However, in my country rabbits are regarded as adorable animals and some have them as pets.
We have plenty of pet rabbits in Australia too but the wild ones are very destructive and in the olden days were the ruination of many a farmer.
@JudyEv Yes, I heard about that people try to kill the wild rabbits.
@ptrikha_2 (6872)
@JudyEv oh never knew wild rabbits could be such a nuisance!
• Preston, England
great initiative - hope it works
I hope so too. I really don't want to lose it.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv sounds a good way to recycle
@arthurchappell I'll have to come up with a new Christmas tree now though.
• Portland, Connecticut
Very resourceful of you that is for sure.
It seems the ideal solution at the moment.
You are indeed creative unless rabbits find their way somehow They are creative too
I don't really expect to win easily against them but I might be able to save this one special bush.
That was a great way to repurpose that plastic mesh. We have chicken wire around two trees here in the spring and summer due to rabbits eating the leaves. Hope the mesh does the trick.
I feel sure it will. They won't bother digging underneath as they are not short of food.
@Madshadi (8809)
• Brussels, Belgium
Very well done. I should do the same to keep the pooping cat away from my newly planted apple tree
There is supposed to be various things you can spray round trees to keep cats away. Do a post about it and you'll find the members here will have some good ideas to help.
@Madshadi (8809)
• Brussels, Belgium
@JudyEv a friend of mine recommended some sprays but I’ve been delaying the visit to the shop. I will buy it this week and see how it works first. Also, your method seems to be cheap and effective.
@Madshadi Rabbits apparently don't like the smell of blood and bone (bonemeal) but I don't know if it works for cats.
Our garden of long ago had an 8 foot fence of chicken wire to keep the critters away. It was attached to wood poles and even had a little gate. Hope it works for you, too.
That would be the ideal but it's a bit expensive for 18 acres. Our friend has a five-acre garden which has about a four-foot fence but is dug into the ground as well.
@JudyEv Yikes! That certainly wouldn't work for you! Ours was 10x12 feet.
@FayeHazel (14948)
Wow! That's perfect. I love when I can repurpose an item
I swaggered around for a couple of hours after coming up with this idea!
@FayeHazel (14948)
@JudyEv As well you should :-)
@Shiva49 (11435)
Nice that you are hands on and inventive too to protect the trees from marauding rabbits. Hope they do not see a way around your ingenuity! siva
They could burrow under but I doubt they will as they are not really short of feed.
@garymarsh6 (13020)
I hope it keeps the pests away! So you have invented a multipurpose item. I hope you have patented it!!!! Happy New Year!
However if I use the cone next year as a Christmas tree the rabbits will have a field day! I might have to repurpose something else.
What a way to keep the rabbits away, too bad those pluffy things had become more of annoyance there.
They were brought to Australia many years ago by some of our earliest settlers and they've caused a huge amount of destruction.
That is a good idea!
I was pretty pleased with myself when I thought it up.
One year the deer and rabbits ate ALL of my green beans and snow peas. I have not grown them since.
We have raised beds but that doesn't always stop the roos. Rabbits can be really hard to deter.
@cintol (3481)
I hope you can bring it back, those rabbits are pesky little critters. I had to line my garden with chicken wire to keep them out so I would have vegetables for summer last year so they went into my flower garden and ate all my flowers.
They are really hard to keep at bay aren't they? Did you have to bury the wire a little to stop them?
@cintol (3481)
@JudyEv I just stuck it down in the ground so you couldn't see the end, they never tried to dig under it
@cintol Our friends buried theirs but they were fencing a 5-acre plot so I guess it was worthwhile making sure it was secure.
@MarymargII (9177)
• Toronto, Ontario
That's because you are one smart cookie- Judy--ha! Fabulous idea- now tell me later if it works, as I'm crossing my fingers that your quince tree will prevail!
There are still a few leaves on it so I'm hoping I've stopped them in time. If I catch any of the little blighters I'll make them into stodge!!
• Toronto, Ontario
@JudyEv GOOD idea- protein in a stodge stew is always welcome!
@MarymargII Rabbit stodge. It might be the new food fad.
@shshiju (10197)
• Cochin, India
There are no rabbits come in daylight here. Because they have lot of enemies including dogs . It's wonderful to see the rabbits come to your plant.
@shshiju (10197)
• Cochin, India
@JudyEv Did they come in day light to destroy the crops?
@shshiju They probably come out more at night but they are also plentiful during the day.
@shshiju (10197)
• Cochin, India
@JudyEv Is it against law to trap the rabbits?
• Kathmandu, Nepal
Oh! You have got a big plot of land out there! Yeah, your all your trick without any cost is great! Thank you!
Yes, there is still plenty of land in Australia although some of the cities are becoming more crowded. We like making things out of nothing.
• Kathmandu, Nepal
@JudyEv Well, Yeah vast land is still untouched while other land is systematically developed! I have heard of so!
@creativeaashish Much of our inland areas are too barren to support very many people. It is mostly only the coastal areas that are productive.