Who Gets the Pet? The Judge Will Decide!

My state of Illinois is a real stinker of a state. It is a state that has a long history of corruption, and those in power haven't a clue as to how to run a state successfully. The one and only bright spot for Illinois, in my opinion, is that my state of Illinois comes in at #1 regarding the welfare of animals. If a couple going through a divorce cannot decide who should keep the dog, the cat, the bunny rabbit or whatever pet they happen to have, a judge will decide that little matter in the state of Illinois. In the state of Illinois, the judge will determine which pet parent gets sole custody of the pet or if the pet parents should share custody of the pet. The judge will make his or her decision based on which pet parent spends the most time caring for the pet on a daily basis. Also, the judge will consider which pet parent pays for the majority of the pet's food and veterinary care. Of course, service animals/pets in the state of Illinois will stay with the pet parent for whom it serves. Also, I was delighted to learn that I can now throw away those protest signs depicting circus elephants! I have used those signs to protest circuses for many years in Illinois, and the ones portraying chained circus elephants are no longer needed. In 2018, Illinois has the honor of becoming the first state in the USA to ban the use of elephants in traveling exhibitions and circuses.
HOOOORAYYY I'm so glad it's finally started, now the other states will hopefully follow suit .... Yipppeee IL. Wouldn't it be nice if all states put pets of the deceased on top of the list of who get what? I say that because an acquaintance of mine runs a pet shelter in NM and complained to Carol that she's constantly having to rescue pets of a deceased person because their children only want to give them to the pound. I know a lot of us here on Mylot would not do that but there are so many out there who could care less about their parents beloved pet.
@sallypup (26679)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@rebelann I will always wonder if the scenario that you paint here is what happened with our Beau Teak kitty. I just know that he was alone for 4 days then somebody found him and hauled him off to the Shelter- 10 days there before I came along.
Oh yes, the pets of deceased end up in shelters far too often. I agree that pets of the deceased, abandoned by uncaring family members, should always be on the top of the list. Pets are so important to the ill and to the elderly, and those folks should definitely expect that their pets be the first ones to be adopted. When our elderly dad could not longer car for his kitty cat Annie, my sister did find a loving home for Annie with a couple who adored her until she passed at age 21. Sis put a lot of effort into that and no way would any of us have placed Annie in a shelter.
Cindy wants to kick those selfish kids in their backsides but of course she can't @Corbin5 she took in 5 lil poodles all over the age of 7 whose momma passed back in March 2017 and the brats put them all in the pound. They were lucky that the pound called her but I sometimes wonder if she only gets called if they're poodles. Carol recently adopted a beautiful large white German Shepherd from Cindy, apparently the poor old boy has been adopted at least 3 other times only to be found one time roaming in the desert and the last 2 times brought back because one person claimed she didn't realize how big Flynn was, he's already 11 years old and the woman adopted him when he was 7, and the other one said he was too noisy when he would try to turn in his kennel. I swear, some people have no business adopting pets, hopefully they didn't have kids either.
Divorce is hard but it's harder when a pet is in the middle of a conflict. Nice to hear that a pet has rights in a divorce even if it has to be decided by a judge.
Yes, pets really are not property, but members of a family.
Yay! for the elephants! If I would ever be in court for the pets I would always win. My animals will always pick me over the men around.
I am thinking Molly would pick my husband. He spoils her a lot more than I do, and she says spoiling is a must.
@bunnybon7 (35928)
• Holiday, Florida
good for your state and sounds like you had a big part in that. it just dawned on me that the nicest man i ever knew was born and raised there i think the town was called Peoria . that was my late last hubby John. another wonderful thing about Illinois
Yes, Peoria is a nice town in which to live. The people of IL are great, it is those who are in power who are ruining it that are not good people.
@bunnybon7 (35928)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 yes i will have to say you all are the best people
Hope the one who loves the pet most gets it.
Me too. I would think the one that spends the most time caring for the pet and the one who sees and pays for the pet's needs is the more loving pet parent.
That is something to be proud of for your state. I'm glad you can put away your protest signs now.
Yes, it is a nice thing for the state to do. Not much good happens in IL, but these were nice surprises.
@Corbin5 I think your reputation goes back to the 1920's when Capone called the shots or delivered them.
@just4him The corruption is still alive and well in Illinois. Mike Madigan is Chicago's the most corrupt one we have, and then of course, his cronies are scum too.
• Pamplona, Spain
Just for once over here they are deciding things like that as well which was never done before. As long as the animals are looked after well then that is fine. You sound like a great bunch of people over there in that state.
I will say the state of Illinois does its best to do right by animals. In pet stores in the city of Chicago, only shelter dogs and cats who need homes can be sold in pet stores. That sure helps those shelter animals have a chance at a forever home. Things are getting better for animals all over the world, but so much more needs to be done.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 I was sending my best thoughts out for three dogs that I knew to be ill treated and now their conditions have got much better now so prayer can move mountains.
@lovinangelsinstead21 You are so right about prayer.
@Corbin5 This is so great. Sometimes, one person of the couple will take a dog to be put down out of vengeance, so hopefully this will stop that from happening.
Yes, I do believe there are owners out there that would do more harm than good to a pet.
@Corbin5 My daughter Ashley worked for a short time in a Vet's office, and she saw this happen. We were all sick about it when she told us.
@misunderstood_zombie Oh, that is so sad. Some humans should never be allowed to have a pet. We need a really tough vetting system for those who want a pet, but that will never happen.
Is Ram Emauel still the Mayor? If so what do you think of him? My question is if the Judge gives the animals to the wrong parent then the animals will not be very happy. I just hope if the Judge decides they go to the right person.
Cannot stand Rahm Emanuel. He is really a jerk and hasn't a clue how to run a city. I think the judge will be able to determine which pet parent should have the pet. Joint custody would probably be the decision the majority of the time..
@Corbin5 Deborah, yes, Rahm Emanuel is a jerk. I do not like him at all. He was in Obama's Administration. I hope the Judge will be the right decision so the animals will not suffer.
Yay to Illinois!!!!! I'm an animal lover, too, and home more states and countries follow suit.
Yes, if the USA as a whole could raise its now grade of "D" regarding animal welfare, a much kinder USA we would have.
@Corbin5 Definitely! To be honest, I've seen worse in other countries. All animals deserve the right to kindness wherever they may live.
@mrki444 (916)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
In Croatia dog is convicted guilty because of barking. How about that?
That is very, very sad.
@mrki444 (916)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@Corbin5 Yes. But the guy who killed two people with car is free and still have driver license. Welcome to Croatia.
@sallypup (26679)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Go Illinois!! Now to get all of WA state on board with brains concerning animals. ALL not just part. I'm proud of your state.
Oh, thank you for your kind words regarding Illinois. In the city of Chicago, pet stores can only sell shelter dogs and cats. That sure puts an end to puppy mill dogs being sold in pet stores.
@sallypup (26679)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 I like that. Brilliant.
Good for Illinois! It is heartwarming to hear of some real progress being made on behalf of animals. I like them so much more than so many humans!!
I am the same way. Animals over humans anytime.
That's good to hear.
It is good news. Illinois is such a corrupt and poorly-run state due to the Democratic politicians in power.
@sjvg1976 (18380)
It's good . At least the judge may be able to determine with whom the pet will be safe and happy.
I think it is a really good law.
@sueznewz2 (9883)
• Alicante, Spain
great news about the elephants... i'm glad your state is good on animal rights in so many different scenarios...
That is the one bright spot in our state. Illinois does care about animals.
@tom_view (3269)
• Kolkata, India
that is good.
I think so too.
@Shiva49 (12653)
Maybe a virgin territory for the judge and the legal system but they have no choice but to come to terms with realities of the day. The pet is the silent sufferer and suffers collateral damage! siva
Yes, pets do deserve to be protected from all harm. I believe that all animals deserve to be protected from harm in this world of ours.
@hostessman (9239)
• Tucson, Arizona
glad to hear the animals are taken care of, lot of places don't care about them
Yes, the USA gets a grade of D in animal welfare due to animals being of little concern in the USA.
That is very good news for those living there.
I think so too.