Running around in the Cold

Anniston, Alabama
Today was insanely crazy cold and I got all types of bad news. And I seen something I did not want to see. I stopped and got my sister after I paid a few bills and stopped at the post office, she needed to pay a bill and get some sweets for her house. I also had to get a new concealed to carry permit so on the way I looked at the house I am selling and OMG! From under the house, the crawl space door, was a huge frozen pile of ice. It looked like after the pipe busted that the spray in the air froze, it actually looked cool, but not so much as far as no water. Tony told her to cover those pipes months ago. Then as I was dropping off my sister another tenant told me her water is frozen! BUT I do not have to fix it because of the clause in the lease, she has to make sure she leaves the water on when we have a deep freeze and if they do not and allow the pipes to freeze, they have to hire the plumber. She was clearing the plumber with me. She also old me her ex that is buying a house from me too allowed his water to freeze yesterday but I know he will fix his own pipes. People in Alabama is not used to this deep freeze, why? we usually only have this one week of the winter. I still have my water running in a tiny stream, I would rather pay a few dollars more on the water bill than to do without water a week and have to crawl under the house in the cold water to fix pipes. A week of letting the facets run. How to you keep your pipes from freezing and busting?
@kobesbuddy (23408)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Jay has insulated those pipes, so they won't freeze in the winter.
We have plain pipe insulation on all of them! but that will not stop these from freezing.
@kobesbuddy (23408)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@andriaperry My father wrapped heat tape around my brothers water pipes. When it got bitter cold, Bill had to plug it in, to keep the pipes from freezing.
@kobesbuddy That must be what I am thinking about.
We keep a drip of water running to keep the pipes from freezing. My classroom was a fresh hot mess today. If it is again tomorrow, it will be awful. I can't survive 2 super-freezing days. My asthma will kill me. Straight into the ER.
I had heard that people up north have some type of heating on their pipes.
@andriaperry well we don't here in NJ. We stay warm due to warm ocean temps usually! My in-laws in western NC built their retirement house with heated floors and have hated it ever since I guess because it was new technology.
All our pipes are insulated to resist very low temperatures, it never happened to have frozen pipes.
Our are too, but makes me wonder if the insulation we use is different.
@andriaperry I do not know, I see the insulation on the pipes inside the laundry room, they are very thick.
Living in Southern CA, we never have to deal with this. I always dream about living in a beautiful snow area - but I know it's a whole 'nother thing to actually have to live with a frozen winter daily. I would have absolutely no clue what to do with frozen pipes - preparation wouldn't even cross my mind!!
That is why so many have busted pipes here, we are not used to this. The weather people even tell people to let the water run.
@andriaperry I'll bet the people who don't know also don't realize how serious this is. A busted pipe even without the freeze is bad enough! Are you supposed to let water run continuously? We are in a drought here - people would freak if we had to let water run all the time (fearing the water bill!).
@much2say Yes! if you turn the water off the pipes will freeze. Yes I have a huge water bill but in that area the water bills are $15 - $10 a month.
@mom210 (5939)
• Atlanta, Georgia
If you leave a little trickle of water running, it will not freeze. For some reason one of our bathrooms has that problem. We have put extra insulation in there, but it still does it. I hope your day gets better.
The laundry room is the problem in my own house, Since you cannot leave that water running.
@mom210 (5939)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@andriaperry oh no, I hope the freezing temps pass soon before anything breaks.
I'm not the person to ask about pipes because up here in Canada you can buy homes that don't have anything besides a foundation, but we've always bought homes with a basement because that way the pipes are enclosed in a warm setting and you have less of a chance of them freezing. I hope that this cold snap breaks, you people down there are not used to this......you need a little more warmth sent your way!
Its coming back! Saturday is the beginning at 47 degree and 54 by Monday.
@andriaperry Our weather for next Monday is going to be more like it should be.
@hostessman (7521)
• Tucson, Arizona
i keep mine from freezing by living where it doesn't freeze----lol
LOL. I have been warning y`all that I am moving out that way.
• Tucson, Arizona
@andriaperry what is that old saying-----promises,,,promises
@thelme55 (12398)
I think our pipes are insulated.
I bet they are.
@LoriAMoore (9753)
Luckily we're in a new house that is well-insulated where pipe-freezing is highly unlikely. No basement. All water faucets are on inner walls, with none facing cold outer walls.
I am glad to hear. Alabama is being hit hard by water freezing.
@Madshadi (6979)
• Brussels, Belgium
It never gets that cold here. I cut the water to my garden when it’s really cold and that’s it.
Usually I dont have to take the water hose off and store it but I did this time.
Not an issue in my neck of the woods.
Very lucky man.
@Srbageldog (6454)
Luckily we don't have that problem with pipes freezing here (although I remember sometimes it was an issue when I was a kid -- I think my dad wrapped the pipes and left a trickle running.)
Yes we do have pipe insulation on all the rentals.
I have kept the house relatively warm and the cabinets open at times. My house is modern and well insulated so I don't worry about it too much.
I pass through many nice neighborhoods yesterday and there was this really fancy house with water spray in the front yard, another pretty ice mound. No matter if the house is 100 years old or newly built , 9 degrees will freeze the pipes around here.
So far it has not got to cold to freeze the pipes.
Thank god!
We leave ours running when it's freezing you can also run a heater on them.
The houses that had the water froze have a crawl space underneath the house and that part does get cold. I think they forgot to leave the water running.
I also usually keep the water running when it's cold, especially if the sinks are near an outside wall. Sorry that happened about your house.
Its the rentals. BUT it has happened to me before.
15h
We leave the water drizzling when it gets this cold. Like tonight, it'll be 4°.