You Know it's Cold When...

Winston Salem, North Carolina
The dog and cat decide to get cozy. Smoky is 10. He came to us as a stray when he was a gangly kitten and has been with us ever since. The kids decided many years ago that he must be rare dwarf grey tiger. He’d much rather hunt or mooch human food than eat cat food. He has limited patience for the other felines who reside around here and none at all for the big golden turd. In fact, he has been known to bait the big golden turd and has nearly caused her to pull my arm out of joint by dashing out of the bushes and darting across our path just out of reach. Nessie, the big golden turd, just wants to be friends. She has chased him inside the house with her tail wagging ninety-to-nothing and gotten her nose scratched in reward. In more recent days the dog has taken to barking at the cat from a safe distance in the house. Outside, she is waiting for a moment of freedom and then the chase will be on for real. It’s cold outside this morning, and the fires had burned down overnight leaving the greatroom a brisk 59‘F (15’C) which means the main floor bedrooms, which don’t enjoy the benefit of heat rising from the wood burners, are really, REALLY cold. The heater has been a popular gathering place for all the warm-blooded creatures in my home.
Obviously when it comes to push and shove they prefer each other to the cold lol
I'm inclined to agree with them. I wouldn't want to give up a warm spot in front of the heater either.
What a cute shot of Nessie and her pal Smokey, maybe now the pup will be calmer and the kitty will like her better.
Of our three cats, only the youngest could potentially be Nessie's friend...and she's still kind of terrified of her. Neither of our old cats has any interest in being her friend--though they do think her food is tastier than theirs.
You never know @Platespinner maybe as Nessie becomes more mature they will warm up to her
@rebelann the older two cats never had time for our other dogs.
My cat decided he was NOT staying in last night. I did worry.
We have an outdoor cat who never come in. He hasn't bed in the garage but I haven't seen him use it since before Christmas. But he always turns up for breakfast in the morning.
Looks like they are the best of friends in that picture
Looks can be very deceiving.
And then again...
Groan. But how do you know if it's cold outside if you refuse to go outside and find out?
The animals are no fools. They will find the warmest spot.
Funny, though, it's actually warmer in front of the fire in the basement, but all of the animals prefer to be around people.
I had the fireplace on over the weekend, its a fake fireplace that puts out heat and both the dogs were laying on the couch that is close to the fireplace just snuggling up to one another. It was cute for sure and i had clothes on them because it got a little cold for our little fur babies here in Florida.
The other day Nessie decided to jump into the creek (it's not frozen, but it's pretty crusty around the edges) and it didn't seem to phase her at all. When she's in the house, though, she likes to crash where it's warm and cozy.
@Platespinner One crazy animal LOL.
@Srbageldog (8650)
They look pretty comfortable. Guess Smoky decided she would tolerate the big golden turd in exchange for a warm place to cozy up!
The floor in front of the heater is definitely prime real estate at the moment.
Mine in the freezing cold do their business quickly most of the time and right back into the house.
The three indoor/outdoor cats are spending most of their time inside, but Nessie is still quite happy to go outside and play. We've been having to restrain her from jumping into the ice-crusted creek!
That's a sweet photo, they look really comfy.
They didn't stay that way for very long.
They do make a darling pair of critters!!!
They both have their little quirks, but it's kinda cute to see them curled up together like that!
They look so peaceful, they remind me of a brother and a sister, a pair that would usually be at odds with each other but find comfort in the warmth of lying closely near the fire. Nessie has really grown, she looks like a teenager with those long lagey legs of hers.
She's right at around 50 lbs and is a bit gangly at the moment. I'm glad that the cats are learning that if they come while she's snoozing, Nessie won't bother them at all.
It's nice they took a break from all the chasing. Yes, that would make the floors a bit chilly. I'd be in front of the heater too. Right next to the animals. Great picture of them.
I almost took another photo today. The cat on one side of the heater, the dog on other, and my daughter standing in between warming her posterior.
@Platespinner That would have been a great picture.