It's confusing when you don't know what you have

It's even more confusing when doctors don't even bother to diagnose you properly. Happy New Year y'all! Sorry for not being around for a while, the last few weeks have been really hard health-wise. I'm getting a lot of weird symptoms lately. According to my (and relatives) past experiences, I feel pregnant, but I could just be pre-menopausal. According to the Internet.... it could be ovarian cancer, so no more "research" for me, thank you very much. I'm just really tired with this whole thing. I'm gonna try a different hospital to see an endocrinologist, hopefully one of those understands English, because I still can't speak enough Portuguese to state my symptoms. I am really hoping is just a hormonal imbalance, I'm already pushing myself harder lately for exercise and more diet changes. Too bad I'm sensitive to caffeine, one of the symptoms is extreme fatigue. How was your New Year's Day? Any resolutions this year?
@Platespinner (19153)
I'm sorry you're struggling with all of that and have a language barrier to make things worse. A number of years ago I found myself in a somewhat similar situation myself. I never did go the medical route (doctors and I tend to not get along very well), but it ended up being menopause (I hear you about the cancer scares when researching) and adrenal fatigue. I made some significant dietary changes and slept for almost an entire summer (thankfully my kids were old enough to fend for themselves). I hope you are able to find some answers and get some relief.
Thank you. I don't get along with doctors either, but I want to at least get diagnosed on what I have, so that I will at least have a clear picture on what I should do about it. How early did you start having menopause if I may ask? I'm only 31 and everyone laughs at me when I tell them that it could be it. Even though I feel like when I was pregnant with my first, I keep getting negative pregnancy tests, so I really can't think of what else it could be. Menopause or hormone imbalance seems to be the most logical one.
@thehousewife I was 38, BUT my mother and one sister were in their 50s the other sister was late 40s. I've know others to hit menopause ridiculously early so it's not impossible. I took a LOT pregnancy tests over the course of 2 years.
@Platespinner I see. Well, thank you, your input has been of tremendous insight. I've taken a lot of pregnancy tests lately as well. I will definitely ask for various hormonal blood tests.
@nanette64 (14627)
• Fairfield, Texas
The only resolution I have is to live to see my BD at the end of April @thehousewife .
Well, I hope you will be with us for a long time.
@nanette64 (14627)
• Fairfield, Texas
@thehousewife Me too. What would people do if I wasn't around to aggravate them.
@Srbageldog (6523)
Have you seen a gynecologist? There are so many reproductive issues that could be causing those symptoms. My resolution for this year is to survive surgery to have my fallopian tubes removed (whenever that finally gets arranged.) And to try to work more on my writing. I would also like to eat healthier and lose more weight, but...we shall see.
Yes, I have seen a gynecologist numerous times, she just gives me birth control pills without even checking to see what's wrong. That's why I'm trying for an endocrinologist this time, perhaps they'll be more interested in getting to the root of the problem. I wish you the best with your surgery, I hope it works out for you. Being healthier is a good resolution.
@thehousewife Oh, that is so frustrating! My regular gynecologist (who took over for the one who discovered the issues with my reproductive organs) claims there's nothing wrong with my fallopian tubes and I don't need to have surgery, I just need to keep taking birth control and having pelvic ultrasounds to monitor the "ovarian cysts" (which aren't cysts, they are my engorged tubes.) The gynecological oncologist says otherwise! Sometimes regular gynecologists are dismissive and extremely frustrating. I asked to be referred to a specialist closer to home to have my surgery, and my insurance referred me to another regular gynecologist...they actually tried to refer me back to the one I'm already seeing! It can be a nightmare trying to get health issues sorted out. My oncologist suggested that an endocrinologist would be better suited for treating this type of issue, but then he decided to perform the surgery because it will be complex and require a high level of skill, which is why I was sent to him. In your case, there may be something going on that can only be diagnosed through a diagnostic laparoscopy. Or maybe it is something else causing your symptoms altogether! I wish you luck in getting a diagnosis. Hopefully you'll be able to get in to see an endocrinologist and they will help you. Sometimes all it takes is one good doctor to figure out what's going on. Thank you for the well wishes. Yes, being healthier is something I really need to work on. I wish I didn't love chocolate (and other junk foods) so much.
@thehousewife I wish you luck. Those symptoms are rather worrisome! If you're not pregnant, it could be an issue with your ovaries, or any number of things. I would probably have to wait another year to see the endocrinologist, assuming my insurance would authorize a visit. They keep rerouting my referrals to different specialists who aren't the ones I need to see. So I will probably have the surgery and hope that relieves some of my symptoms. My situation isn't life threatening, but it could turn life threatening if my fallopian tubes ever ruptured. And I don't trust our local hospital to properly treat that, if that ever happened. They don't have qualified surgeons on staff who would be able to perform an emergency surgery to remove the tubes without risking perforating my bowels. So, fingers crossed that the surgery goes well and will relieve my symptoms. Eventually I might need a complete hysterectomy, but for now I'm not having that done. They will just be removing the stuff from my bowels, along with the endometriosis 'implants' that are growing all over. I may have to try that. I actually prefer dark chocolate, and I know it's good for you. It actually helps with my migraines. .
@Ithink (7750)
Ohhh I totally get you on this!! I have basically given up on the medical field!! Researching our health symptoms can be scary as a symptom or even a few can be so many different things. I know of two things wrong with me no real answers thou. Then tests and no answer thou they saw the problem themselves. Good luck on your journey to heal.
I'm amazed at how technology advances so regularly, but when it comes to the human body, nobody knows what's going on. You would think in 2018 they would at least improve the diagnosis part. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through something similar. I hope they figure it out soon and provide some good options for treatment. Thank you. I also wish you the best of health.
@Ithink (7750)
@thehousewife I have gotten to the point that I honestly think they don't care as long as the money keeps coming in and one way is to have us keep going in. Thank you, hope you get your answers too.
@dpk262006 (55810)
Hope you are able to see the desired Doctor sooner than later. You must get yourself checked up because I feel it is very much playing on your mind. Happy New Year to you and your family. I do not make any resolutions.
Yes it is frustrating for sure. I have arranged appointment for Monday. Let's see how it goes. Good, I don't make any resolutions either.
@dpk262006 (55810)
@thehousewife Hopefully, when you see your Doctor on Monday, s/he would be able to provide your some solution to your health issues.
Happy New Year! No resolution at all. My NYE went fine as I spent it with friends praying in the temple.
Glad to hear you had a good New Year's Eve. No resolution here either. I like it that way. If I want to do something I just do it, I don't wait for New Year's.
@thehousewife Exactly. I just do what I want whenever I want.
I do hope the endocrinologist has some answers for you. It is so hard when a proper diagnosis cannot be given.
Thank you so much, I hope so too. Yes, it is frustrating.
@tzwrites (4018)
Happy New Year! And hopefully it's nothing serious and just a minor illness.
Happy New Year to you too! And thank you.
Hope you can find an answer to your symptoms as it must be difficult trying to figure it all out. Maybe it's thyroid related?
Thank you I hope so too. I checked my thyroid levels with blood tests every six months, and all was normal. But I will probably get it checked out again, along with the rest of the hormones and see what comes up.