I Think the Christmas Tree is Telling me Something

Our Christmas Tree usually stays up until the 7th. We don't celebrate the Epiphany, but it is just a tradition I've kept from my childhood. I like the Christmas tree lights and my favourite part of the Christmas season is having my morning coffee before sunrise by the lights of the tree. And spending the evening by the tree lights is pleasant too. So I put my tree up, the first week of December and have that morning treat for a month. The lights are on a timer so they are on when I get up. Turn off after sunrise and come on again for the evening. Today, I sit here procrastinating everything I resolved; (exercise, organise, economise). The tree lights went off after sunrise but now they keep coming on and going off again about every 10 minutes. Every time the timer clicks, the lights come on or go off. I think the tree is tired and wants to be taken down.
I usually take the decorations and tree down on the first of Jan, but this year my daughter said could they stay up until Saturday, and she will take them down.
Nice to have that help!
@paigea It is, it's a chore I don't enjoy.
@jaboUK I decorated very little for that reason
The timer had it's time ! I don't know if you've watched Stranger Things, but your Christmas lights going on and off reminded me of that. We normally keep the tree up til about a week after New Year's Day too - but there's no timer - we plug and unplug .
I will have to plug and unplug for now.
@paigea Only for 3 more days .
@Platespinner (19153)
Our tree always goes up Thanksgiving weekend and comes down on New Year's day. I do, however, still have a bit of garland up over the kitchen sink that needs to come down.
Ours is up for a month total
@paigea ours is up 4-5 weeks depending on when Thanksgiving falls.
It is a clear message from your tree that it needs to be released from its misery.
Absolutely.
@Gillygirl (15685)
• Sutton, England
Sounds like the lights need replacing. Our decorations usually come down on 6th January. Happy new year to you.
Our lights are plugged into a timer, so I am going to guess it is the timer needing replacing.
• Preston, England
the 5th of January is Twelfth Night here so that is when most folk take down the cards and decorations
@cintol (1122)
I used to love Christmas and the tree was my favorite. We had a 6 ft artificial (because I am allergic to real ones) and it would go up after Thanksgiving and stay up till New Years Day. Now, we have a little 4 ft that goes up 2 wks before and comes down New Years. Easy to put up and take down. Sounds like you need to lay your tree to rest for the season because I think your right, its trying to tell you something lol
@cintol (1122)
@paigea haha, see that is why I got a little one. It snaps together in two pieces, already has lights on it, just pull it apart and stick it in the box then I don't have to wait on my hubby. lol
@cintol I could take it and throw it on the fire pit. It is not very big. I don't know why he wants to do it.
@cintol (1122)
@paigea I would tell him thats what your going to do if its not down by the weekend and that he won't even get to watch lol
@MarymargII (8445)
• Toronto, Ontario
Probably the timer is pooped-ha! I put off taking the tree down too but will probably do so this weekend. Love the lights too- and love them at night.
I will take it down Sunday! It just goes out to the fire pit.
• Toronto, Ontario
@paigea Yes this weekend is the time I will take Christmas down too-- :( I have mixed feelings sometimes!
@MarymargII I am going to light my candles every evening to replace the Christmas tree lights
Or, maybe it's cloudy and the timer got confused?? I miss the candles of Christmas past so I think this year I'll stock up on a lot of those fat candles so that come Christmas I can create a pretend christmas tree
I like candles. I will light some next week to get over not having the tree any more.
That sounds like a nifty idea @paigea now I wish I had a few to light.
I'd worry that the timer would cause a fire.
Yes. I just unplugged it. I can plug the lights in for a couple of days.
@paigea Good thinking. Better safe than sorry.
I still can't seem to get mine down yet. LOL
My husband did it while I was at work. Christmas is all packed away.
We do not have a timer but my maid does that for me. Strange that your timer is now acting funny. Time to go for a new timer
Yes. Time for a new timer.
We took ours down yesterday, I hope your tree gets a nice rest.
It will be heading to the fire pit soon.
Boy it's been a long time since I saw you wrote a new post so I was so excited to see this one I just finally took my tree down yesterday. I usually pack it away by New Year's Day but things have been kind of crazy so I figured it could wait. Plus like you I enjoy seeing it.
I seem to be busy. But most days I get to a few discussions.
It's time to retire the lights.
It is the timer we use. It is old!
I think the tree just may be sending you a message. I need to take down the outdoor d├ęcor, but it is so cold out there, I think I will wait until we reach 20F.
I would wait for a day above freezing. It reached just above freezing here today.
• Denmark
I think you've read the signs well. Put it to sleep for another year and find out what's wrong with it when you take it out next December.
The timer is something we use all year for various things so we will have to take a look at it and maybe replace it. The tree just goes out to the fire pit.
I think the timer is going bad. Better to remove it before it catches the house on fire!
Yes, the timer must be malfunctioning. I better just unplug everything before I leave today.
• Portland, Connecticut
I like to leave it up longer, the longer the better, it only happens once a year and I love it.
@Freelanzer (6558)
That is about when I take mine down but I did it a bit earlier this time around.