I Think the Christmas Tree is Telling me Something

Our Christmas Tree usually stays up until the 7th. We don't celebrate the Epiphany, but it is just a tradition I've kept from my childhood. I like the Christmas tree lights and my favourite part of the Christmas season is having my morning coffee before sunrise by the lights of the tree. And spending the evening by the tree lights is pleasant too. So I put my tree up, the first week of December and have that morning treat for a month. The lights are on a timer so they are on when I get up. Turn off after sunrise and come on again for the evening. Today, I sit here procrastinating everything I resolved; (exercise, organise, economise). The tree lights went off after sunrise but now they keep coming on and going off again about every 10 minutes. Every time the timer clicks, the lights come on or go off. I think the tree is tired and wants to be taken down.
I usually take the decorations and tree down on the first of Jan, but this year my daughter said could they stay up until Saturday, and she will take them down.
Nice to have that help!
@paigea It is, it's a chore I don't enjoy.
@jaboUK I decorated very little for that reason
• Eugene, Oregon
Ours usually goes away on or around January 1. We need the space .
Now we have our red Valentine's lights at the gate!
• Eugene, Oregon
@paigea Oh, well, very nice!
The timer had it's time ! I don't know if you've watched Stranger Things, but your Christmas lights going on and off reminded me of that. We normally keep the tree up til about a week after New Year's Day too - but there's no timer - we plug and unplug .
I will have to plug and unplug for now.
@paigea Only for 3 more days .
I admit it: my artificial tree is still up. No other Christmas decorations linger, but the tree does.
Do you still turn the lights on?
I missed this back at Christmas time and now it's nearly May. Doesn't the time go quickly?
Time is flying for me. I seem to be busy and have little to show for it.
@AliCanary (1852)
Maybe your tree is blinking "SOS" in Morse Code, lol
It is always kind of exciting to put the tree up, and to take it down is an anticlimax.
True.
I took mine down New Years Eve this year.
It is nice when it's done.
• Preston, England
the 5th of January is Twelfth Night here so that is when most folk take down the cards and decorations
Not so common here to leave it up.
It is a clear message from your tree that it needs to be released from its misery.
Absolutely.
@Gillygirl (17462)
• Sutton, England
Sounds like the lights need replacing. Our decorations usually come down on 6th January. Happy new year to you.
Our lights are plugged into a timer, so I am going to guess it is the timer needing replacing.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow, I can't believe you still have your tree up! But that's cool, I would love to keep my Christmas tree up all year long if it was socially acceptable to do so! But I always get a live tree, so it probably wouldn't make it too far past January! Although the tree I had last year stayed green all the way up until March! I dragged it out into the woods sometime in mid-January, and sure enough when my son's birthday rolled around at the beginning of March, that tree was still as green as could be sitting out in the woods! I actually walked out there to see if it had sprouted roots or something! lol
The tree has been down since about the 10th Christmas is all packed away.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@paigea Don't worry, only 10 months to go until you can enjoy coffee by the light of the Christmas tree again!
@moffittjc Looking forward to December 1st! We have Valentine's lights outside!
@cintol (7879)
I used to love Christmas and the tree was my favorite. We had a 6 ft artificial (because I am allergic to real ones) and it would go up after Thanksgiving and stay up till New Years Day. Now, we have a little 4 ft that goes up 2 wks before and comes down New Years. Easy to put up and take down. Sounds like you need to lay your tree to rest for the season because I think your right, its trying to tell you something lol
@cintol (7879)
@paigea haha, see that is why I got a little one. It snaps together in two pieces, already has lights on it, just pull it apart and stick it in the box then I don't have to wait on my hubby. lol
@cintol I could take it and throw it on the fire pit. It is not very big. I don't know why he wants to do it.
@cintol (7879)
@paigea I would tell him thats what your going to do if its not down by the weekend and that he won't even get to watch lol
• Trinidad And Tobago
Indeed, the tree is communicating with you? Maybe it is time to listen!
It is gone. Christmas is packed away. Valentine's lights are outside though.
• Trinidad And Tobago
@paigea And then the cycle will repeat itself!
@Gita17112016 Yes. But they are easily put away. Hubby has streamlined the process.
@MarymargII (10569)
• Toronto, Ontario
Probably the timer is pooped-ha! I put off taking the tree down too but will probably do so this weekend. Love the lights too- and love them at night.
I will take it down Sunday! It just goes out to the fire pit.
@MarymargII (10569)
• Toronto, Ontario
@paigea Yes this weekend is the time I will take Christmas down too-- :( I have mixed feelings sometimes!
@MarymargII I am going to light my candles every evening to replace the Christmas tree lights
@DeborahDiane (23846)
• Laguna Woods, California
I have a friend who owns a very expensive, beautifully decorated home. She has an artificial Christmas tree in the corner of her house which she never takes down. She just changes the ornaments ... hearts for Valentine's day, bunnies for Easter, patriotic decorations for July 4th, etc. I think it is pretty funny!
Does it look pretty good for each occasion?
• Laguna Woods, California
@paigea - Yes, it actually looks pretty cool! It took me a while to get used to the idea but, now that I have, I kind of enjoy seeing how she decorates it.
It is February 3 now and I still have up my tree! I didn't light it up during Christmas and don't light it now. My parents always left up the tree until; January 14 as that january 7 is Orthodox Christmas and January 14 is their New year's an Is Orthodox new years day and my mom and her parents were of that religion
That is a good reason to leave it up until the 14th
@paigea it was my mom's way of showing her parents respect as my mom wasn't a practicing one in adult years and my sister and i keep it up to honor mommy and my grandparents as both my sister and i are Roman Catholic
Yep, time to take it down. I need to do the same as my lights are dying.
These lights seem to not last so well any more.
@paigea No, they don't.
Or, maybe it's cloudy and the timer got confused?? I miss the candles of Christmas past so I think this year I'll stock up on a lot of those fat candles so that come Christmas I can create a pretend christmas tree
I like candles. I will light some next week to get over not having the tree any more.
That sounds like a nifty idea @paigea now I wish I had a few to light.
I'd worry that the timer would cause a fire.
Yes. I just unplugged it. I can plug the lights in for a couple of days.
@paigea Good thinking. Better safe than sorry.