Cool church program that helps homeless

This is probably nothing new but as I watched the news, I saw one church in Minneapolis was offering emergency shelter over the blistering cold weekend for the homeless. Wind chills reached 30 below. I thought this was super awesome and I am sure its not the only church that does this. Doing further research, I found that this church also has a homeless helping program several days a week that provides meals, mass, a clothing closet, showers among other necessities. I was looking for a place to drop off some mens clothing donations and they said they would definitely take them! I just have to walk into the church and drop it off. I am big into volunteering in programs that help the homeless so I wonder if they would accept a nonteligious volunteer? Do your churches have these types of programs?
@IreneVincent (16025)
Go to JW.ORG and read about how this organization helps people all over the world. They are usually the first on the scene following any kind of disaster.
Will check it out. Thanks!
That's a very good program & yes we have churches that do this too.
I love it. As a non church goer do you think theyd accept me as a volunteer?
@maezee Absolutely :)
• Dhaka, Bangladesh
In my religion(Muslim) every rich must donate the poor.It's called"Zakat".It is compulsory for every rich Muslim.
@KrauseHome (35514)
More churches need to do this. In the perilous times we live in you can never help enough it seems
That's great. I hope they are a right fit for you to volunteer you time for. If they are a good church they should welcome you with open arms whether you're a church goer or not.
That's really wonderful. I know there are a lot of churches here that do the same.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
They probably would accept the help. We are going to make cold weather bags for the homeless since we have had sooo many cold days and nights recently here.
I am not a religious person but still believe in doing good things for others. Yes, churches here have those kinds of programs for homeless.
You don't have to be religious to be a good person, and surely they would be wrong to refuse your help.
I bet they would accept you as a volunteer but you may have to deal with them pressuring you to become a member of their church. I think it is so kind the church allowed homeless to sleep there and think all churches should do this!
i think there are a church or two around here but do not know if any offhand. I think it is a great program! I am going to volunteer with my peer counselor. Hopefully, it will have to do with the needy and homeless.