Wylie's trip to the vet

@KristenH (21149)
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Well I've just returned to the vet and Wylie was a good trooper, though he meowed during the ride in his kennel. Before we went inside the vet clinic, my brother used his phone to snap a shot of my dad's check and did some mobile banking with our bank's app. I can't do it with my phone though. After I filled out the new client paperwork and told the vet tech Wylie's caterwauling issues, (since the closet banging and the table jumping is behavorial), we met the same vet to check Wylie out. I've told him the same thing and he examined him. Althoug he did have a heart murmur, he did like skinny and had a bit trouble walking. The vet said he did felt some hard stools and wanted us to do a X-ray to test for constipation and maybe for Diabetes. When the X-rays came back, nothing life-threatening or serious. He has a major case of mild constipation. As for the weight loss, he might have Chronic Renal Syndrome. I also did a urinalysis test, just to test him for an urinary infection. I won't know the results until tomorrow... so I'll let you know about it tomorrow. He did have a good quality of life. I just have to give him stool softenener 2x a day for 2 weeks. He just had his first shot in his mouth when I got him. I might try putting it in his wet food before bed tonight and tomorrow morning. As for the cost, it was only $295 total--the office visit was $65. So I have enough money leftover in savings after tomorrow. I thank god for my dad's check to cover the expenses and will thank him tomorrow night on the phone. Keep your fingers crossed for his urinalysis test results tomorrow.
That is a good price. It is much more expensive here. Hope Wylie feels better soon,
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Just barely in the ball park. Me too Laurel.
@sallypup (23251)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Poor fella. I hope he feels better super soon.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks Lenore. Me too. He's been a trooper with his oral medicine. But he's gone to the litter box three times so far--twice yesterday, and before I woke up this morning.
@nanette64 (14627)
• Fairfield, Texas
Putting it in his wet food might change the chemistry of the stool softener @KristenH .
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Well, that's what the vet recommended it, if he doesn't take it by mouth. He said it would make it slurried since it's an unflavored liquid.
@nanette64 (14627)
• Fairfield, Texas
@KristenH I use to give Milk of Magnesia to one that I had; but he was pretty cooperative with the syringe.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@nanette64 I'm not too sure about that. I had to put it in his food yesterday, since he didn't want it in his mouth. But he did eat his food in the bowl. This is just clear lactulose syrup.
@dgobucks226 (7706)
How long have you had your cat Kristen? Glad it is nothing too serious. Did the vet think the condition was age related or something else altogether?
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
About 12 years. But my brother had him first, before he gave him to me. Maybe age-related. But with his digital X-rays, we could see he had a major case of constipation.
@KristenH I wonder if your cat would fare better with a diet change? Sorry about the questions, I must be a frustrated vet or doctor in another life, lol. Actually, my brother is a vet professor at Ohio State and I owned a cat who passed a few years back so that is where the interest is coming from. She was about 14 years old.. Hope Wylie responds well to treatment.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@dgobucks226 The vet did ask what kind of wet food I gave him. I told him Friskies pate, since he doesn't like the other kinds like with gravy. He didn't suggest a diet change though. No worries. Aww sorry for losing a fur baby. He's doing okay and in the litter box now.
I'm glad its nothing serious.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Me too Courtney. I was quite relieved yesterday.
@KristenH good.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Courtlynn Thanks Courtney. My cat deserves a gold medal for being a good sport and not lashing out.
@LeaPea2417 (16000)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I pray he gets to feeling perfect soon.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks Anne Marie. It seems the medicine is working its wonder, though he does make noise though.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am glad that you had a good visit with the vet and were able to afford to get Wylie the tests that were necessary.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks Belle. Me too. I can pet my worries at rest and be at ease now. I bet they won't be any trips for him in the future.
one of mine that passed away recently had a renal problem-constipation seems to go hand in hand with it.you may wish to ask the vet about giving him miralax,worked well for mine.you do have to make sure they have plenty of water with either.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Sorry for your loss, Scarlet. I will if I need to. We'll see about the stool softener for now.
I hope it is good.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Me too. Now to wait for a phone call today.
Hope everything is ok with Wylie and the tests are normal.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks Marilyn. We shall see today and the next 13 days.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
hope he feels better soon. vets can be so expensive.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I agree. If I didn't have my dad's check, I would've been broke with 19 dollars left in my savings. Right now he's hiding out in my room.
My fingers are crossed!! Yes, your dad really was such a great help with Wylie's veterinary care.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks Deborah. I'll tell him about tonight on the phone after I thank him for the X-mas check.
Prayers going out to Wylie.
@KristenH (21149)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks TR.