Has Oregon blown up or burned down yet?

By JJ
As of January 1st, 15 of Oregon's 36 counties will allow self-service gas pumps. Oregon and New Jersey were the only two states left where it was illegal to pump your own gas. (And now I have to wonder if @NJChicaa knows how to operate a gas pump ) A post by KTVL CBS 10 News, Medford, has 'gone viral', with many people poking fun at Oregonians about the subject. I have to admit...I didn't say anything there...but mainly because I was too busy laughing while reading the comments. If you have some spare time, you should check this out:
PUMP YOUR OWN GAS Starting January 1st Oregonians can begin pumping their own gas in rural counties. MORE: http://bit.ly/2lnpGYP Do you think Oregon should allow self-serve gas stations statewide?
I have absolutely no idea how to pump gas. When I went to college in CT, I would fill up my SUV at the very last service station in NJ, drive around for the week, and then have *just* enough gas to get back over the border into NJ at the end of the week when I was going home for the weekend.
If it ever becomes a requirement there, just shout at me on facebook and I'll hop in the Creeper Van and come pump it for you
@JolietJake Excellent!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@JolietJake The friendly gas creeper.
@FourWalls (13347)
I couldn’t get past 20 comments. I was laughing so hard I started crying and coughing, and I don’t have any benzontate in the house to quell the coughing. That was hilarious to no end.
Just think if it was state-wide there...
@FourWalls (13347)
@JolietJake — But on the other hand, we’re missing a gold mine opportunity here. “Oregonians! Learn how to pump gas at JJ and Hillbilly’s Gas Pumping School and Music Emporium!! For just $495 you’ll learn how to pump your own gasoline like a pro!”
There are going to be a lot of people out of jobs. We will see when we fill up on the 15th.
Actually, how can it put anyone out of a job? They will still have other duties they have to do at the stations.
@aureliah (15071)
Hahaha very funny but they will definitely learn with time. Wishing the Oregonians the best of luck
Some of the comments to that are freakin' hilarious.
@aureliah (15071)
@JolietJake I'm reading them and Im laughing my..off
@WorDazza (10112)
• Manchester, England
I don't think there are any places left in the UK where you don't have to fill up yourself. But then again we've never been big on service over here.
I found it hard to believe all the people getting upset about it...I don't think I heard a single complaint when Illinois started doing self-serve
@WorDazza (10112)
• Manchester, England
@JolietJake To be honest I'd much rather do it myself than trust somebody else to do it.
@WorDazza At least most places have a canopy over the pumps these days...kids don't realize how badly their elders used to suffer
Only one station here that pumps for you.
Here they will come out and help you if you are disabled, but there aren't any 'full service' places.
@JolietJake ......Oh, they probably would here too at some of the places.
reading the comments...hilarious.
There's some funny stuff there for sure
@JolietJake yes there sure is....thanks for sharing...made my day
good heavens they pump their own gas here im California have for years lol l ol
I can't remember when Illinois started allowing self-service stations, but it was a real long time ago.
@JolietJake uyesit was here too asmy 59 son was about ten or so Helovedto pimp the gas forour npickup
@nanette64 (17495)
• Fairfield, Texas
Well, yes & no @JolietJake .They'll have to install the new pre-pay pumps so nobody fills up and drives off without paying but at least the attendants won't have to freeze their butts off in the winter.
There is not a single pre-pay pump in my town, so they won't have to necessarily install them. Also, that is why a gas station has attendants. Almost all stations have computerized pumps now that require an authorization from a main panel to run...
Having been to Oregon, it's a pain getting gas because you wait in line as the guy runs around from pump to pump.
Skip navigation Sign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Find out whyClose Silverking42 Loading... Unsubscribe from
@sallypup (26681)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I remember having folks pump my gas for me when I visited Oregon. I figured at least folks had jobs.
Those same people will still have jobs...someone has to be there to accept payment.
@Plethos (10260)
oh no, advancement in technology has made pumping gas attendant an obsolete occupation now. unemployment rates are gonna sky rocket now!
I'll admit, there are times I wish we had a 'full service' station here (who likes standing in the rain/snow pumping gas?) but some of the people there act like it's the end of the world
@KrauseHome (35026)
Why the big deal? Do these people never travel outside of (regon. Ive always found it weird not being able to pump my own gas when i visit there
@JESSY3236 (6289)
I read some of the comments they were pretty outrageous.
i've never done it,but i could figure it out. it's not like trying to read an ikea manual..
Finally, they can catch up with the rest of us. Those are so funny. There's too many to pick just one.
@Srbageldog (8382)
Oh, the horror! The humanity! To be fair, I don't know how to pump gas either, but that's because I don't drive. I assume it's easy enough to figure out, though, as most adults know how to do it.
@kobesbuddy (44007)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Our gas stations have self-serve pumps, that aren't too hard to figure out. I no sooner learn how to use their machine and they end up changing them! Why, I really don't understand.
I wish they were all standardized...some you just have to pick up the nozzle, others you have to lift a thing up after you pick the nozzle up
@kobesbuddy (44007)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JolietJake Then, some want us to pay at the pump, for debit cards.
@kobesbuddy In Georgia I stopped at a station to fill up once coming back to Illinois...they wouldn't turn the pump on inside, they said I had to 'prepay' how much I wanted...I told them I wanted to fill it and didn't know how much that would be. They insisted I had to prepay before they would turn the pump on, so I said 'screw 'em' and went somewhere else.