Triple Talaq is a criminal offence

@suripunj (848)
New Delhi, India
Soon India government will present the bill in upper house which if passed will criminalize the utterance of triple Talaq and will sentence husband for 3 years if found guilty.The opposition is protesting the bill arguing that it is anti women because if husband is jailed he can very well get rid off paying alimony to his wife. Government saying the bill will be deterent to this Mal practice where in husband divorces wife on whim. What is your opinion about it are you in favor of this bill or opposed to?
@topffer (34590)
• France
A better law would have been to impose a written marriage settlement in India. In a settlement it is possible to give this talaq right to both spouses or to one of them only, husband or wife. It would have settled the talaq problem without looking like a law targeting only Muslims. The fact is that this bill does not solve anything : according to the sharia law the divorce is valid, and sending the husband to jail for a maximum of 3 months will not stop the use of talaq, 3 months is a too small sentence.
@suripunj (848)
• New Delhi, India
it can go even for 3 years imprisonment.
@topffer (34590)
• France
@suripunj I wrote 3 months because you wrote 3 months, I am not following your bills.
Maybe I could have an opinion on the topic if I knew what triple Talaq means. Not all members live in your country and know Indian customs.
It is a Muslim custom of divorce
@JolietJake Thank you for the explanation but I'd like to have it included in the post by the author. The post is another example of the fact that many members think that their world is 'the' world and everybody knows what they know.
@topffer (34590)
• France
@MALUSE No one should ignore the (sharia) law.
I would be in favor of the bill because divorcing someone on a whim does not sound right to me.