Goodbye Moon, Hello Sun!

@owlwings (38664)
Cambridge, England
I thought this was a rather unique shot. It is of the full moon setting on January 2nd against the rosy clouds of the sunrise. It isn't often that we get to welcome the New Year with a full moon (OK, nearly full on January 1st, but never mind) and, at the same time, see the sun colour the western sky pink! This full moon was called the "Wolf Moon" by some North American peoples, presumably because wolves could be heard baying 'at the moon' more often at this season. Wolves (and dogs) don't actually bay at the moon, I believe, though the moonlight may inspire them to want to hunt (or to mate) more. I don't really know about wolves - I've never danced with them! The dog I know uses baying as the closest sound he has to human speech, so I usually understand him to be saying something like "Where's my foo?" or "Come on! Play!" or "Are we going for a walk, then?" (or other things like "Don't shout at me or I'll shout at you!").
• Olney, Illinois
I have too many trees in the way when the moon sets (and when it rises as well...I only have a small unobstructed view of the sky). This was 7 AM January 2nd as it was going down. I have a problem catching 'colors' in the sky...I see some great sunrise/sunset scenes, but I can never quite catch the color as I am actually seeing it.
@owlwings (38664)
• Cambridge, England
I think that mine was about 7am or a little later. I had to 'tweak' the contrast and brightness and increase the red very slightly to make the image look the way I remembered it (even now it seems a little too pale). I love your image of the moon through the branches. You have a much better lens than mine!
The trees do provide a unique aspect almost eerie.
You are so right, wolves are nocturnal, they howl more during the night, no matter if there is a full moon or a new moon.
@owlwings (38664)
• Cambridge, England
The last wild wolf in Britain was killed in Wales (according to the local Welsh legend, anyway) in the mid 18thCentury.
@owlwings We have wolves here, their number is increasing.
@Shiva49 (11508)
@owlwings As a young boy I recall reading with fascination "The Hound of the Baskervilles" - siva
Never a moon with such a colourful background. Goes to show the sun is lurking around somewhere
@owlwings (38664)
• Cambridge, England
Since it's a full moon, the sun must obviously be directly behind me and lighting up the clouds around the moon with the rosy dawn colours.
@owlwings This is a rare image where the sun decides to give a colourful background to the moon.
@owlwings (38664)
• Cambridge, England
@allknowing I thought that it was pretty special, too!
Beautiful picture. I hadn't heard that about the 'Wolf's Moon'. I love talking to dogs and them talking back. I did that a lot with one of my dogs.
@owlwings (38664)
• Cambridge, England
@just4him I talk to my grand daughter's dog and he talks to me. He has no idea what I'm saying, I'm convinced, whether I talk English or dog and I have no idea what he's saying (though sometimes I guess right when he tries to pronounce the word 'foood', which is difficult for a dog because they can't do an 'f' and nor can they do a 'd'. They're very good at making the 'ooo' bit sound very plaintive and hungry, though.
@owlwings I've heard of some dogs who can 'talk' and find it interesting. I would have wonderful 'talk' sessions with one of my dogs. He loved those times.
@pgntwo (21288)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Ah, the old "Where's my foo?" question. D and T, in my mouth, usually. L, well, if I were a dog, at the other end of my leash, I guess. K? Only up in Yorkshire... Great pic, couldn't see the moon here when it was at its best or fullest.
@owlwings (38664)
• Cambridge, England
I can't remember whether 'foo' was a typo or intentional now. Cats aren't very good at dental plosives (voiced or nunvoiced)
@pgntwo (21288)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@yugocean (7918)
You can study Dogs and JJ can study cats, so it is always raining cats and dogs instead of wolves.
@owlwings (38664)
• Cambridge, England
I like to study cats as well ... and especially the way they interact with dogs.
@yugocean (7918)
@owlwings I read about their behavior, but not actually have had any cat.
• Preston, England
dancing with wolves is usually followed by being ripped to bits by wolves - great photo
As I walked back home I saw the sun shining while the moon slowly disappears.
Love, love that shot.
• Trinidad And Tobago
A full moon is always spectacular her and it's quite common to see it against a rising sun. By the way your pic looks beautiful. Around this time we also see it in the sky for most of the day. Watching a full moon the feelings is indescribable ...and apart from wolves and dogs, I too feel like howling. Must be some primitive instinct!
@PatZAnthony (12236)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is a great photo of the sky and moon, no matter if the wolves and dogs notice it or not.
@Shiva49 (11508)
The sun and the moon have coexisted for billions of years without one rubbing the other the wrong way; a lesson to ponder as we welcome another new year with hope and trepidation - siva
@Platespinner (16791)
If my dog were to choose to bay at the moon, she'd very quickly be told in no uncertain terms, to be QUIET!
@bagarad (10612)
• Paso Robles, California
It's a lovely photo. It makes me sad I didn't see that moon. My nephew had just arrived in the afternoon, and I didn't go outside that night. Of course, it may not have looked the same here as there.
@Teep11 (6891)
The moon certainly generates the light which so many need. There seems to be a lot of persons so in tuned with the dark areas instead of focusing on what light can contribute.
@nanette64 (16695)
• Fairfield, Texas
Don't forget there will be another New Moon on the 16th and a Full Moon on the 31st of this month too @owlwings .
We have never had a dog of ours bay at the moon. We have never rescued a dog that had the ability to bay or it declined to use that baying. Oh well. I have danced with our dogs, though.
The colorings are unusual.
@BarBaraPrz (19028)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Lovely shot.