The Lady with the Mystic Smile

Daytona Beach, Florida
The heading of this article refers to the Mona Lisa. On January 8, 1962, the Mona Lisa was first exhibited at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. This was the first time when this masterpiece by Leonardo da Vinci had arrived in the U.S. The first to view the painting were more than 2,000 dignitaries among them the 35th President of the U.S. – President John F. Kennedy. The following day the exhibit opened to the public and over the next three weeks, about 500,000 people gazed at the lady with the mystic smile. Afterward, the painting was taken to New York City and exhibited at the Metropolitan Museum of Art where another million people saw it. If he was looking down from the stars Leonardo da Vinci would have been surprised and thrilled by the outcome. He was one of the great Italian Renaissance painters. He painted the portrait with the wife of wealthy Florentine citizen Francesco del Gioconda in 1504 and for this reason, this painting was sometimes also referred to as La Gioconda. Has anyone seen this painting at a museum?
Sorry to correct you, but I am Italian, the name of the husband of "La Gioconda" is Francesco Del Giocondo, not a big difference, but not the same surname. I never liked this painting, Leonardo could be known for more important things.
@db20747 (9101)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
Really? You don't like the Mona lisa?
@db20747 No, not at all.
@thelme55 (14944)
I have seen this Mona Lisa painting in Louvre Paris a few years ago. It was so beautiful. I didn´t think it was just a small painting.
@db20747 (9101)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
Did her eyes appear to follow u?
@thelme55 (14944)
@db20747 I don't think it followed me. There were plenty of people in front of the painting and hubby carried me a bit to see Mona Lisa. I am a small person. It would be nice if I was alone looking at the painting.
I have seen the Mona Lisa at the Louvre in Paris.
@db20747 (9101)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
Wish I was there!! The mona lisa is a timeless classic. The artist captured her facial expression and clever smile brilliantly!
@db20747 (9101)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
Leonardo was brilliant because her eyes appear to follow u when u move left or right!
@vandana7 (66851)
No I have never seen it, but yes, she has some charm
I haven't seen it. But I heard Mona Lisa painting is small size dimensions. Since I like it, I had cross-stitched its image and hanged in the living room.