I have come far in my cooking journey and having the time of my life!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I have been wondering what my mom hated cooking so much? I Have been cooking for about a year now, and i love every minute of it! My mom was unadventurous in cooking and made basically all the same things each week. I would try to find her recipes, and she vetoed them all. I am a different type of cook than she was. I make something different each time i make a recipe from scratch. i do not usually repeat those recipes I visited all these food blogs and found that I give my email address and get extra recipes in my email. I do not go to the actual food blog online anymore an I can't keep up copying all the recipes I wish to try from emails! I also have many recipes pinned on Pinterest I do make one dish that does not have a recipe i made last night and repeat it often as it is my favorite. It is from rotisserie chicken pieces and add it to noodles and a can of peas and carrots and mix those with cream of chicken soup and mozzarella melted on top. I make too many taco seasoning and Mexican casseroles in general. I do not think I ever made a new recipe i didn't like the taste of it. Do you like to cook or try new recipes? Have you ever made a new recipe and hated it? Please share your experiences in cooking?
I like cooking, but there are other things which demand my time. So as I live alone in my apartment I can do it whenever I feel like . I actually prefer baking.
I love to bake but my last one a week before Christmas was a failure. I tried cranberry oat bars, and the toothpick would not come out clean, so i left it in oven another 45 minutes or so, and they were as hard as a rock and fell apart when trying to get them out of the pan! I won't be trying that recipe again
@Marty1 First they were underdone - then overdone. You can try baking something else.
@Kandae11 That is the way it happened. I will try something more one day soon!
I like to find certain recipes and I also like to make my own things up to cook. I prefer making things at home because it is too expensive to go out to eat.
i only eat ar Fast food places with coupons for the food. I don't go to other types of restaurants often as i don't want my sister to pay so much for food as she buys the regular restaurant food the few times we have been to one
@Marty1 I prefer eating at home and saving on money Jennifer.
@Hannihar so do I!! I love to cook and can't see buying food when I could whip up something even better tasting and have a nice meal! but do buy fast food and freeze most of it once in awhile!
I'm not keen on cooking and only do it when I can't get out of it. Vince does almost all our cooking.
Yoy are lucky to have Vince doing it! It had always been my dream to cook but was never allowed when my mom was alive
@Marty1 It's good that you are getting a chance to cook now.
@JudyEv Yes i agree and i love every minute of it even my failures i had a good time making them!
My mom pretty much made the same things each week too (a wee different from her sister who actually had a weekly menu of the same thing . . . Monday this, Tuesday that, and so on) - so I vowed that when I had my own place, I would be a person of variety. We have our staples of recipes we do often, but I love trying new recipes whenever I have the chance. Oh I've had several recipes that I've tried and hated . . . can't remember what all they were because we never made it again .
i know somebody like your mother's sister who had days set aside like spaghetti day, soup and sandwich day. I think that would not look forward to dinner or cooking for that matter each night. I have maybe one or two dishes i do more than once. Not many though. I am sure I will get some failures in cooking, but that is not as bad as my baking which I made a pan of cranberry oat bars that were inedible, and had to be tossed away in the garbage. But i do love baking even though baking doesn't love me!
@Marty1 If I planned a menu like that, my kids would find the days to over snack and not eat dinner those nights . I suppose it makes grocery shopping easier, but the eating would be oh so boring, right? I don't even make the same sides for particular dishes each time. Someone once told me she noticed a lot of chemists are good bakers. I guess so! I guess measurements and putting together the ingredients, timing - all are crucial in baking - so that makes sense. Yah, I've had my share of baking failures too.
Mike does most of the cooking.He tries new recipes some were success and some not. I will stick to baking.lol
You are an excellent baker so it is great Mike had you to bake all those goodies! i am not very good at baking. I do want to get better at it though
@Marty1 You will get better.All of us starts slowly and then finally things turns around.You will be fine.
@amadeo thank you for the kind words! i am trying and hope i get better!
I love cooking, now that I know how to cook lots of things. Though, we're pretty plain jane, and do have the same things every week. But that's what we like, or love, and we're the ones who eat it so that's all that matters.
I agree with you it is fine to use the same recipes as if you and your mom like it then that is what you should eat as why make things you do not think you will like? i find that I make casseroles the most. I think I am making a casserole tonight if i cook from scratch i also use mostly ground beef in the meat portion of my recipes. what is your favorite thing to cook?
@Marty1 lasagna.
@Courtlynn i never made a lasagna that was traditional I have made lasagna rolls in my crockpot that i really liked.
@sueznewz2 (10196)
• Alicante, Spain
thats sounds a nice dish... Ive only been cooming for two years... and am loving every minute of it... but am doing more baking of cakes than main meals...
I am not very good at baking cakes as I tried one two years ago and it came out of totally liquid and once i pulled it out to check it, and the batter was boiling! That cake never got even remotely hard. I do better with cooking but am going to try cookies Friday!
@sueznewz2 (10196)
• Alicante, Spain
@Marty1 ohhh dear sounds like something definitely went wrong there .... I have mixed results... lol.. hope your cookies come out well
@sueznewz2 I think something went wrong, but I just don't know what or maybe a cake should boil in the oven do you think? lol! I have a person come once a week to cook with me, so I am thinking cookies this week when she comes on Friday morning! She is a good cook so i made cookies once with her for Thanksgiving and they were yummy and turned out great!
@averygirl72 (16643)
I love to cook a lot but not trying new recipes just old recipes. Glad you enjoy your adventures in cooking
I think i is great you make old recipes as those are the best. My mom never would give out recipes so things like her famous stuffed cabbage and apple pies nobody in the family can make either of those that taste like her?
I cook because I have to, but it is not my favorite thing to do. Glad that you love cooking.
Yes I love to invent recipes, some flop some are keeps.
I don't feel comfortable enough to make up recipes but want to be able to do so one day in the future!
My mom was a great cook, but I do not like to cook or bake at all. Vegetarians do not cook or bake a lot anyway, so glad I do not have to. Glad you are having such a good time cooking, though.
I don't know why I love it so much? i am the only person in the family who loves it. The rest of my family spend most of their mealtimes in restaurants as it is much easier for them!
I love cooking and trying new recipes. I get many on Pinterest and any that look good I repin to save and try. I have made tons that looked good but were terrible and tons that tasted better then I expected. Very cool you made up your own recipe. Have you ever read the book or watched the book "Julie & Julia"?
I have heard of Julie & Julia and have seen it in one of my two local library systems e-library but have never read it. I have not actually tried a Pinterest recipe though have tons of them that I repinned. My cooking is not bad, but don't do the best in baking and had to throw out cranberry oat bars a week before Christmas. My peer counselor is coming on Friday so think we will make cookies again as i have made them in the past with her and they turned out okay. The cranberry oat bars I tried myself
@Marty1 did you use honey in the oat bars? The book and the movie were great. It's about a woman with little cooking skills who starts a blog and decides to try every recipe in the cookbook in one years time. I think it was Julia Childs cookbook if I am thinking of the right person. In the movie Julia was played by Meryl Streep or whatever her name was. I can't think of the actress who played Julie.
@shaggin I think I remember when the book was just published I believe it was Julia child. i never read it then but am going to try and read it now. Julie was really brave as I always thought Julia Child had hard recipes? I am probably wrong though. Honey was not in the recipe for the cranberry oat bars i tried to make . the ingredient that was supposed to make it stick together was 2 bars of butter flavored shortening melted.i put them in the microwave, and it was a perfect liquid but not nearly enough to get all the oats and brown sugar covered, then they didn't all get covered enough and was crumbly, and the not burned parts were falling apart. it was a lot of dry ingredients with 4 cups oats and three cups brown sugar and some other things I forget what
@fly802 (1510)
I like to cook but unfortunately, my cooking hand is not good.Whatever I cook doesn't taste good.So I`m depressed.
I am not the best cook either but i keep trying and refuse to give up as i like it so much! Keep trying it gives you practice and you will be a gourmet cook before you know it!
@fly802 (1510)
@Marty1 Thank you.I also hope so.
@fly802 we just need practice! i am sure my favorite chef Emeril Lagasse didn't start out cooking as great as he does now!
Yes, I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. Usually I don't make something unless I am pretty sure I am going to like it..one time I made a crockpot rum cake though and it scorched. Another time, I tried to make some kind of Cuban soup and it turned out pretty bad..by and large though..I like what I cook although it may not always be the most visually appealing.
There are so many new foods that I have never tasted that I like to try them. If I find an ingredient I do not like (has not happened yet) I will avoid other recipes with that ingredient. I made a double chocolate cake i the crock pot and it tasted yummy but fell apart coming out of the crockpot. So mine aren't always looking their best either. I just care about the taste of them!
@Marty1 That is the most important thing, although we do eat with our eyes first, if something looks bad we don't really want to eat it.
@snowy22315 that is so true! I do like the food better if it looks presentable. But did eat that crockpot cake and found it yummy as it added sour cream to the cake mix and other ingredients and was so yummy!
I started getting interested in cooking as a child. I remember once at the age of 8 I made breakfast for my parents. At the age of 12 and into my teens I experimented with cooking. Here in Latvia we cannot get things like condensed soups to add to casseroles and a lot has to be made from scratch so I mix and add ingredients and usually, everything turns out just right. I often like to make what are called copycat recipes and they always come out great because I can also change the ingredients. Here is a link you might like.
https://www.pillsbury.com/everyday-eats/dinner-tonight/27-restaurant-copycat-recipe
@Marty1 look at the link I am going to try this
Once you make these homemade versions of condensed cream soups, you’ll never open a can again! Condensed Cream Soups Done Better Condensed “cream of” soups are a very common ingredient in many recipes. Lots of crock pot and casserole recipes call for this
@RasmaSandra thank you so much for the super link! I signed up for the site's email One quick question? what is the difference between stock and broth? I think I am going to try this soon also!
@Marty1 here is your answer from online The Primary Difference Between Stock & Broth. ... Of course, now broth really is a catch-all for any flavored cooking liquid, including broths made by simmering fish, vegetables, or even legumes. Stock: Stock, however, always involves bones, simmered for a long time to extract their gelatin and flavor.
If I see a recipe I would like to try I add it to my recipe files. Some do get made and others go the wayside. Eventually I will delete the untried recipes and print off the ones that are tried and true.
Do you add these recipes by doing it on a computer? i get most o my recipes online but write most down on paper and save them. I am going to organize them in paper folders classified in different types of foods.I do save recipes on Pinterest but will eventually write those on paper also. I am not the most computer literate, and they make me nervous.
@Marty1 I have a group on Facebook that I save recipes to. It was more active when I first started the group and has now went stale. I still add posts to it though and reference back when I need to find a recipe.
@ElusiveButterfly don't really go to facebook and when i do it is to look around and not post at all
I am always trying new recipes. Most are good. A few are flops.
From what I have read all your food you make is yummy!
@Marty1 Most of it is.
@NJChicaa I have no problem believing all your food is fantastic!
@rina110383 (24032)
I don't know how to cook. I love reading new recipes and looking at their photos, but never tried my hand on cooking.
I love to read recipes too even before i knew how to cook a few things! That is a nice time for me to read them and I still read them!
I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes.
Does your son who is studying to be a chef ever cook with you giving you new ideas?
I'm not very interested in cooking, I'm afraid I just do basic things.
that was how my mom was. She had basic recipes she kept using and would not try recipes i found her in magazines and online. I am having so much fun trying new things i was not allowed to taste when she did the cooking.