Daily Bible Study

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Day 22 Ezekiel 21 Ezekiel 21:1 And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 2 Son of man, set thy face toward Jerusalem, and drop thy word toward the holy places, and prophesy against the land of Israel, 3 And say to the land of Israel, Thus says the LORD; Behold, I am against thee, and will draw forth my sword out of his sheath, and will cut off from thee the righteous and the wicked. 4 Seeing then that I will cut off from thee the righteous and the wicked, therefore shall my sword go forth out of his sheath against all flesh from the south to the north: 5 That all flesh may know that I the LORD have drawn forth my sword out of his sheath: it shall not return any more. 6 Sigh therefore, thou son of man, with the breaking of thy loins; and with bitterness sigh before their eyes. 7 And it shall be, when they say unto thee, Wherefore sigh thou? That thou shalt answer, For the tidings; because it comes: and every heart shall melt, and all hands shall be feeble, and every spirit shall faint, and all knees shall be weak as water: behold, it comes, and shall be brought to pass, says the Lord GOD. 8 Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 9 Son of man, prophesy, and say, Thus says the LORD; Say, A sword, a sword is sharpened, and also furbished: 10 It is sharpened to make a sore slaughter; it is furbished that it may glitter: should we then make mirth? It contemns the rod of my son, as every tree. 11 And he hath given it to be furbished, that it may be handled: this sword is sharpened, and it is furbished, to give it into the hand of the slayer. 12 Cry and howl, son of man: for it shall be upon my people, it shall be upon all the princes of Israel: terrors by reason of the sword shall be upon my people: smite therefore upon thy thigh. 13 Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? it shall be no more, says the Lord GOD. 14 Thou therefore, son of man, prophesy, and smite thine hands together, and let the sword be doubled the third time, the sword of the slain: it is the sword of the great men that are slain, which enters into their privy chambers. 15 I have set the point of the sword against all their gates, that their heart may faint, and their ruins be multiplied: ah! It is made bright, it is wrapped up for the slaughter. 16 Go thee one way or other, either on the right hand, or on the left, whithersoever thy face is set. 17 I will also smite mine hands together, and I will cause my fury to rest: I the LORD have said it. 18 The word of the LORD came unto me again, saying, 19 Also, thou son of man, appoint thee two ways, that the sword of the king of Babylon may come: both twain shall come forth out of one land: and choose thou a place, choose it at the head of the way to the city. 20 Appoint a way, that the sword may come to Rabbath of the Ammonites, and to Judah in Jerusalem the defensed. 21 For the king of Babylon stood at the parting of the way, at the head of the two ways, to use divination: he made his arrows bright, he consulted with images, he looked in the liver. 22 At his right hand was the divination for Jerusalem, to appoint captains, to open the mouth in the slaughter, to lift up the voice with shouting, to appoint battering rams against the gates, to cast a mount, and to build a fort. 23 And it shall be unto them as a false divination in their sight, to them that have sworn oaths: but he will call to remembrance the iniquity, that they may be taken. 24 Therefore thus says the Lord GOD; Because ye have made your iniquity to be remembered, in that your transgressions are discovered, so that in all your doings your sins do appear; because, I say, that ye are come to remembrance, ye shall be taken with the hand. 25 And thou, profane wicked prince of Israel, whose day is come, when iniquity shall have an end, 26 Thus says the Lord GOD; Remove the diadem, and take off the crown: this shall not be the same: exalt him that is low, and abase him that is high. 27 I will overturn, overturn, overturn, it: and it shall be no more, until he come whose right it is; and I will give it him. 28 And thou, son of man, prophesy and say, Thus says the Lord GOD concerning the Ammonites, and concerning their reproach; even say thou, The sword, the sword is drawn: for the slaughter it is furbished, to consume because of the glittering: 29 Whiles they see vanity unto thee, whiles they divine a lie unto thee, to bring thee upon the necks of them that are slain, of the wicked, whose day is come, when their iniquity shall have an end. 30 Shall I cause it to return into his sheath? I will judge thee in the place where thou wast created, in the land of thy nativity. 31 And I will pour out mine indignation upon thee, I will blow against thee in the fire of my wrath, and deliver thee into the hand of brutish men, and skillful to destroy. 32 Thou shalt be for fuel to the fire; thy blood shall be in the midst of the land; thou shalt be no more remembered: for I the LORD have spoken it. Have you determined to do something you would rather not, but it needed to be done, or the problem would never go away? God needed to discipline his children, and the only way to do that was to come against them. He had sent his prophets with warnings, and they didn’t listen to him. He sent Israel into exile, and still they didn’t listen to him. Even in captivity, they expected they would return home in a short time. However, they wouldn’t have learned anything if they had returned in a short time. God would bring his fierce anger against his people to show them he would not tolerate their sin. As Christians, you can see the problems around you. You can speak against them, but unless people listen, they will not change. The only thing you can do is cast them from you, as God did his people because they would not listen or obey. It might mean dissolving friendships you may have had a very long time. It means doing whatever is necessary for your intentions to get through to them. Still they will come against you and ridicule you. Jesus said the world hated him before it hated you. You will always come against opposition when you do God’s work. John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. 19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name’s sake, because they know not him that sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin. 23 He that hates me hates my Father also. 24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father. 25 But this comes to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause. All you can do as Christians, is pray for those who refuse to listen. You never know when your words will sink in and they will listen and turn from their evil ways. Let’s pray: Father, disobedience is in the heart of everyone. Help me live an obedient life, listening when you speak to me, so I might live and not die, declaring your Word. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen. Copyright © 11 January 2018 by Valerie Routhieaux Image courtesy of Pixabay
@Daelii (5941)
At times it feels eerie how your stuff goes hand in hand with my other daily bible message... and fits the day. Maybe its just my mind putting unrelated pieces together to make a puzzle that isn't there. Or maybe its just meant to be. Either way, thank you! I was a little frustrated this morning and the daily message said to keep following the light, there is hope at the end. It felt nice especially after standing my grounds with a close relative. I've made a few choices to distance myself and stop putting up with toxic behavior from them and it isn't going well. I love them and wish the best for them. But I know I can't fix their problems or their life, that takes actions from them to be responsible for their actions and choices. I can only live my life and try to help them whenever they need it. It was kinda weighting me down this morning and now, I'll go try and work out and do some private prayers / meditations.
What you just mentioned happens in many families.
@Daelii When I've seen messages that relate closely to one another, I know the person speaking is in tune with what God wants his people to know. That you said this about my study and one other gives me added comfort knowing I'm listening well to what God is teaching me and what I'm supposed to tell those who read my studies. After all, they are from God, I'm only his messenger relating a message. I'm sorry you're having trouble with relatives. Only God can work out the trouble in their lives, you can't and shouldn't be expected to. Let the weight release from your shoulders as you hand this burden to God.
@Kandae11 Yes, it does.
It is hard to make a stand against those we love, but we must try if it is for their own good.
@Daelii (5941)
if only they understood it. :( :(
It is hard, but yes, we must try for their own good. Have a blessed day.
@Daelii It would be nice if they would. I hope you have a blessed day today.
God is so powerful but we need to have faith if he will respond to our prayers.
Yes, we do need faith. Have a blessed day.
God does respond to our prayers.
@jstory07 Yes, he does.
@franxav (5660)
There will be disobedient people always. We can only pray for them.
Yes, that is what we are to do.
@MsBooklover (4097)
Thinking of one person in particular, this person cares about how things look but not how they are. I love this person, but it is a problem for me that I cannot get her to see beyond the outside. To this person, church is very important, but the values of being a Christian don't seem to be.
Jesus talked about people like that. Read Matthew 23. That person is more concerned with appearances than her life as a Christian. It's sad.
@just4him Reading Matthew 23, I long to be humble. I am so imperfect. May I always know it.
@MsBooklover We're all imperfect, which is why we need a Savior. Praise God for his perfection.
@Angela150 (957)
• London, England
Father, disobedience is in the heart of everyone. Help me live an obedient life, listening when you speak to me, so I might live and not die, declaring your Word. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen.
I'm glad you prayed the prayer. Have a blessed day.