When and how did you discover the internet for the first time?

@Icydoll (13169)
It was quiet exciting for me when I discovered internet for the first time.In sixteen of my age my dad put internet connection in house.till that I never know it even though in my school they never put internet access but just used to teach us only basics of using computer.my brother already know about internet usage he guided me how to create email account.for the first time we created rediffmail account.rediff messenger is also available at that time .it was quiet exciting chatting with different people there.it was first for me that to know about chatting.getting reply for the message we sent lol.at that time I didn't understand anything.my brother just created mail account never said about messenger chatting .but I only clicked it with excitement lol.that was my first experience. When and how did you discover the internet for the first time?what the things you learned first time?.what's your first email account created?are you still using it.?. Share in this discussion friends:)
My husband introduced me to the internet when I was in my 40s. Email was the first thing he set up for me. Still using the same account.
@Icydoll (13169)
@Corbin5 that's very nice of your husband.which email account did he created ?.Gmail or something?
@Icydoll I think my first email was with excite.com
@Icydoll (13169)
@Corbin5 thank you for sharing friend...nice to know ;)
We had aol when it first came out. And have been addicted ever since lol!
@Icydoll (13169)
@maezee that's nice friend:).any of your aol friends are here in Mylot?.
@Platespinner (16532)
We had our first computer and internet connection back in 1992.
@Icydoll (13169)
@Platespinner that's nice friend .what was the first thing you did and who guided you.?
@Icydoll I beebopped around on AOL. Search engines were in their absolute infancy at the time. No one taught me, most computer stuff I've learned by trial and error.
@Icydoll (13169)
@Platespinner that's great friend.many said they used aol.nice
@nomus24g (21365)
it was back in 1997, when internet was new to Indians, my college senior introduced me to the world of web...
@Icydoll (13169)
@nomus24g yeah most of them introduced internet college days only:).what the first thing you did with internet?.email creation or something else?
@nomus24g (21365)
@Icydoll I opened my email account on Lycos; which I dont think exists anymore
@louievill (18104)
My first desktop was very expensive cause it was a set with all the expensive original software and the connection was dial up.lol I self taught when I was in my 30s only asking occasionally my sister and my friend when there is something I could not understand, I bought an expensive desktop pc and forced myself to learn because at the back of my mind I did not want to look stupid in the future especially when the kids grow up and start asking things I won't be able to answer.
@Icydoll (13169)
@louievill that's great friend.you learned it by yourself.did you help your kids to learn it or they too learning by themselves:). nowadays kids are too fast learning themselves.are you using the same email account that you created by first time?
@louievill (18104)
@Icydoll the kids now study it as part of the school program from grade school so it's very easy for them. I still have the original yahoo mail than I created.
I was in my fifties when I discovered the internet. I took part in a course for elderly teachers who wanted to learn the basics, but I didn't like it much. Things were explained at length I wasn't interested in and knew I'd never use while problems I had weren't talked about. I 'hired' an internet savvy pupil (I didn't teach so there was no conflict) who came to my house and explained everything I needed to know and answered the silliest questions with great patience. When he left school to go to uni, I hired another one. I give them money for the time they spend with me, so both sides are happy.
@Icydoll (13169)
@MALUSE that was a nice experience you got.glad you learned it perfectly :)
I discovered the internet while in school, we had computer classes to teach us about the various computer programs and had to do research on the internet.
@Icydoll (13169)
@MikesAngel317 that's nice friend.we had computer classes too but they didn't allowed internet access.just they used to teach programs
@Icydoll After we finished our work, we were allowed to play games on the internet.
@Icydoll (13169)
@MikesAngel317 that's very nice.we used to only open paint and draw pictures.:)
@Theresaaiza (10454)
Think I must have been in high school when I discovered internet. But back then, it was so slow, and so expensive. We would go to an internet cafe to chat with strangers. Now I realize how risky that was. Then moved up to surfing about favorite boy bands and printing out posters in black and white since colored printing was worth a fortune back then. Geez, how internet has come a long way since
@Icydoll (13169)
@Theresaaiza in my school they didn't allow us to use it.yeah it's not good going to internet cafe and risky one too.thats why my father arranged connection in my house.chatting with strangers when it was first time it's unknown excitement at that time.did any stranger became your friend?
@Theresaaiza (10454)
@Icydoll it was mostly teenage flirting. I grew out of that phase thank God. None of them became actual friends, no.
@Icydoll (13169)
@Theresaaiza for me too.none stranger became friends :)
The usage of a computer was introduced during my college days. I can remember that I was afraid to use it.
@Icydoll (13169)
@Shavkat yeah everyone will afraid when it was first time.did you go to the internet cafe or you have connection in your house?.and what was the first thing you learned ?did anyone guided you or by yourself started to use it?
@Icydoll I had learned it in my computer class at school. I was afraid to commit mistakes when having a practical test during that time.
@Daelii (4759)
Oh gosh.. Sometime in my late teens. I still remember HTML and php codes! I use to run a human rights website called only human.org
@Icydoll (13169)
@Daelii yeah most of them in teenage got introduced to internet :). that's great friend.
@LeaPea2417 (19055)
• Toccoa, Georgia
It was in 1997 when my Mom let my family have a computer that she had used teaching at her school but didn't need anymore. It opened a whole new world and in those days before high speed internet connections, we used dial up to get online.
@Icydoll (13169)
@LeaPea2417 that's nice friend.
I thought it was always here LOL but i guess i discovered on, Sorry bad memory
@Icydoll (13169)
@thesupersingh lol. mostly it might be happened in your college life.its okay if you don't remember it :)
@Icydoll naa in school
@Icydoll (13169)
@thesupersingh haha you remember it well now.. that's cool what was the first thing you learned to do on internet.?email creation or something else.
@Madshadi (8953)
• Brussels, Belgium
I went to internet shop to check it out. My friend taught me how to use Yahoo
@Icydoll (13169)
@Madshadi do you still use the same account? Did you used to chat in Yahoo chat rooms?
@Madshadi (8953)
• Brussels, Belgium
@Icydoll no I just used it for browsing. The first chat I used was MIRC chat.
@Icydoll (13169)
@Madshadi do any of your first chat members are still friend of you?
@Luap1050 (642)
hmmm..can't even remember the year but it was a dial up modem and verrry slow!!...lol..pictures you say?...video?...nah...just text and doing creative things like this text Flower @@----- OLD SCHOOL!
@Icydoll (13169)
@Luap1050 that's cool to know :) that's flower yeah creative one.i used to send text like that in old mobiles..now everywhere they use smartphone . missing those creative text
@Luap1050 (642)
@Icydoll do you remember any others you can share??...lol
Somewhere in 98-99 .hotmail was the first site where I've created my email account.
@Icydoll (13169)
@stapllotik are you still using it and did anyone guided you or you learned it by yourself?
@Icydoll no I discontinue that. I learnt that in my computer classes.
@mohit459 (11259)
• Haldwani, India
Ya I'm still using my first email account!..