Did you know that Owls can attack?

@LeaPea2417 (22370)
Toccoa, Georgia
I am not kidding, but I am very surprised. This is the first time I ever read that owls can attack. This happened in Atlanta. A man said he was walking in Mid Town and an owl swooped down and attacked him. He got a slash on the back of his head and he had a witness. A guy on a bicycle just happened to ride by at the moment of the attack and saw the whole thing. A few weeks earlier in Atlanta, a woman was walking her dog when an owl attacked her dog. When she tried to fight the owl off her dog, the owl attacked her. Also, another instance in a suburb of Atlanta happened. A woman was walking her dogs when an owl attacked one of her dogs. The dog died of the injuries. A wild life person said owl attacks are rare. But, they can happen when the owl confuses people or pets with food. Can you believe it? Have you ever heard of owls attacking people or dogs?
A man said he suffered a head injury after an owl swooped down and hit him in the back of the head w...
@topffer (36363)
• Djibouti, Djibouti
I heard a few years ago of an eagle owl terrorising a town in Holland. It was targeting humans and hurt many people. They finally captured it after several months.
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Wow, that is interesting and scary.
@topffer (36363)
• Djibouti, Djibouti
@LeaPea2417 Yes, the wings of an eagle owl may span 2 m, it is a very big owl and it could have been dangerous for children.
Wow, that owl must have had a hatred for humans.
I supposed they can.Does most birds attack if needed.
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have read where blue jays can attack people and animals like cats.
@LeaPea2417 I am not very surprised of this.
I have heard of this once before. Maybe food is scarce at the moment hence the attacks on dogs.
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That must be it.
@Ishani08 (494)
This is the first time I am ever hearing such a thing. It's really wierd. Owl killing a dog. Owl attacking humans. Very strange world! Thanks for the info, though.
• Northampton, England
very cute
• Northampton, England
@thedevilinme Ish, not the owls.
I can honestly say I didn't know an owl would attack let along multiple times. Was this the same owl that did all the attacks you mentioned? I am hoping i have no owls in my neighborhood. I have never seen one, so I have no idea?
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
The different locations of the reports , it seems they were different owls.
@LeaPea2417 Oh, I didn't know there were so many angry owls in the world?
@nanette64 (18081)
• Fairfield, Texas
That is weird @LeaPea2417 . Those must have been some really hungry Owls.
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I agree, very hungry
@Theresaaiza (10484)
And here I am thinking that owls cannot harm people during the day cause they're nocturnal. Unless of course attacks happen at night. Well, end of the day, they are wild, and they are predators technically so still it is very possible. Here, we watch out for them breeding magpies. They can be very vile during Spring.
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I think those people and dogs walking were walking late in the day nearly dark when it happened.
It's weird to think such a cute animal would attack, but all animals have natural instincts to attack when they feel they are in danger.
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is true.
@LeaPea2417 I've heard of birds attacking people because they have a nest of little babies, but never just attack out of the blue. That's really scary, because owls also have sharp talons. I hope this isn't Alfred Hitchcock's vision coming true.
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I agree. that Hitchcock movie always scared me.
Yes, I have heard of this but it only happens when they mistake a person for a animal or other food possibility. They aren't attacking us thinking we are their prey or anything. Just mistaken identity.
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Yes, mistaken identity.
I just saw a video on Facebook where an owl attacked someone's dog. The little dogs like chiuahuhas can't be left outside here as we have owls and Eagles that carry them off. A friend of mine has lost quite a few chickens to the Eagles.
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Wow, I never thought of Eagles carrying off chickens and chihuahuas!
Never heard heard of that. Owls must be hungry but you would think enough rodents for them.
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I agree.
Oh, I am so glad there are no owls in our neighborhood!
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I don't think there are any in ours too, thank goodness.
• Pamplona, Spain
In my life had I heard of that either. I have always thought of the Owl as our friend keeping the mice down and other small rodents as well. I suppose that it can happen for a reason but would not know what it is. They are very strong birds so if they go wild for some reason they would produce a very nasty attack on anyone.
@SAM774 (4178)
Oo.... That's something I was not aware of....
That is surprising. They are a predatory bird, so it shouldn't be.
Yes I knew they could attack, but it's not a usual thing.
I believe you about the owls. That is horrible. I can understand how the lady would want to save her dog.
@stapllotik (1252)
May be the owl had a fight with his wife
@Ithink (10495)
We have owls here and yes they can attack but never heard of them attacking people. Hmm the Killer Owls?