I Finally Made a Decent Batch of Chicken Broth

A Crockpot Full of Vegetable Beef Soup
@bagarad (10666)
Paso Robles, California
I've been trying for fifty years, and I guess I've been using too much water. Today I bought a package of large chicken pieces meant for grilling. It contained two breasts and three large parts with drumsticks attached. They looked bigger than just thighs and drumsticks. I covered them with water (about six cups) in the crockpot. Then I added an onion cut in large pieces, four cloves of garlic cut in pieces, a handful of celery leaves and small stems from the center, a handful of fresh parsley, a half tablespoon of sea salt, and about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. I simmered it in the crockpot for a few hours until the meat was tender. Then I pulled the meat out and let it cool while I did some stuff online. After it cooled I removed the meat from the bones and put it in the fridge to cut in pieces for the soup tomorrow. I will also add more veggies and more broth I did not make. Sorry I haven't got a photo of this, but I added a photo of my crockpot full of another soup. My camera was charging. I was quite happy with the taste of the broth, and so happy to finally get it right. It's definitely chicken soup weather. Have you ever tried for years to get a recipe right without success and then finally succeeded?
Why did it take you that long to finally have the perfect chicken broth? Maybe you seldom cook it that's why.
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
I was unsuccessful so often I mostly quit trying and just bought the broth. I had my water/chicken ratio wrong. Often I was too busy to make it the hard way anyway.
@bagarad Didn't you try looking for the recipe on the internet and try it?
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
@SIMPLYD I have a ton of recipe books with directions. I still have always added too much water to try to extend the amount of broth. It doesn't work. I know better now.
Good for you! You finally made it.However we have different way to stew chicken from yours.We usually use the rural free-range chicken that has less fat to make chicken broth,rather than the cage rearing chicken.Normally we just add some mushrooms and ginger to the chicken broth.
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
I can't afford to buy the free-range chickens yet. I have no inclination to raise them.
@bagarad I wonder how much the free-range chicken is for a pound.Here the free-range chicken is about 80 percent higher in price than the cage rearing one.
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
@changjiangzhibin89 I haven' priced it lately, but I know it's expensive compared to normal chicken.
@resukill22 (4864)
what takes you for so long? to get the perfect recipe.
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
It has taken me a long time. I still think it needs some tweaking when I turn it into chicken vegetable soup.
@bagarad why dont you try to watch in youtube?
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
@resukill22 I do better reading recipes. I just dont' always follow them exactly.
I too was wondering why your chicken broth looked like a crockpot We make what is called 'idlis' Just like you after almost 50 years I have perfected them.
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
Some things take time to learn. Others come quickly.
Sounds like you hit the nail on the head with your chicken broth! I've used too much water at times and it does make all the difference. Enjoy your soup!
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
Thank you. I guess if you want to make lots of broth, you have to use lots of meat, and I was probably trying to get by with "stone soup" in the past, minus the stone.
It took me a while to make good chicken broth, but I finally did.
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
Glad to know I'm not the only one.
i don't really cook much but glad you did well with that
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
The broth was OK, but I still need to doctor up the soup. After I added the veggies it was too bland.
The soup in the photo looks really nice. Sometimes recipes I think I have the hang of suddenly go wrong which is the opposite of what happened for you. Your way is better!
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
The soup in the photo was delicious. I hope the chicken soup I make today will be, too.
I am glad you finally made it. I cannot remember that I tried for years to get a recipe right, usually at the second or third trial I succeed.
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
I didn't try this that often -- sometimes years apart. Most of the time I just buy the broth.
It shows that persistence finally paid off though it took you awhile.
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
I still need to add something to the soup that adds more zing. The carrots and zucchini I put in made it bland, in spite of the garlic, onions, celery and parsley I added. I put in some dried mushrooms and thyme to see if that helps.
@Plethos (9051)
sounds very delicous and the weather is perfect for some broth.
@bagarad (10666)
• Paso Robles, California
It's actually going to be in the 70's here tomorrow, or so the weatherman says.