How do you blow off steam?

When I'm angry or depressed, I just remember it's all hormonal, and I start cleaning the house like a mad person. When the apartment is finally spotless and there's nothing left for me to do, if I'm still in a really bad mood, then I exercise like all hell broke loose, and I don't stop until I forget what I was mad about. And I do both of these things with really loud music. Of course I'm all sore the next day. But it helps tremendously! And I finish it off by putting uplifting music and dancing. Of course my kiddos start laughing at me, in which case I just grab them and dance with them. Yup, lots of insanity going on in this home. Anyways, that's how I turn a bad day around. How do you turn a bad day around, or blow off steam?
@Srbageldog (6454)
I write when I'm angry and need to blow off steam.
That's a really good way to occupy yourself.
I would probably sleep, but sometimes I just walk my way out of my frustration.
Walking out of a bad situation is a very good thing to do.
I've always found a few ritual sacrifices of 90 year old virgins helps.
I really don't know how to respond to that. Then again, if I didn't blow off my steam as mentioned above, I'd probably kill a few people myself.
@thehousewife As often as I get mad, and as small as this town is, I'm gonna run out pretty soon...not sure what I'll do then
@JolietJake hmmm, well I do have a list of doctors to kill if you're interested.
@Bluedoll (17191)
Thinking this is a good way and now want to copy it. Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome! It feels great afterwards as I know I did something productive, like having the house all clean and nice, or burn a lot of calories.
@sol_cee (13935)
• Japan
You’re productive when you’re in a bad mood. Lol
Yeah, I'd rather make the house spotless than getting a meltdown and feel sorry for myself. Even our fridge looks brand new now.
@sol_cee (13935)
• Japan
@thehousewife I’d make you upset every so often. Haha
@sol_cee yeah, you do that in a big way, and I just might have to come down and clean up your place too.
I talk to the wall as loud as possible. People around think I am on the phone (lol)
Oh that's a good one! I remember sometimes when I'm angry at someone I just start talking to myself in my native tongue. I get to say whatever I want about the person, without them knowing what on earth I just said.
I clean too when I am angry. I think having control over something, like cleaning, makes things better. My sister does the same thing.
Very true. There's almost like that zen feeling when I do dishes, or when I see the floor all shiny etc. It does wonders for me.
@thehousewife Me too!!
I go out and walk, it's the only way to relax.
Walking can do wonders for our health.
@thehousewife I like to walk, I walk every day, except when it snows, I fear to fall.
That's exactly what I do . . . stay super productive when I have those negative feelings within. Otherwise, I will stare at the walls, become a zombie and zone out - that's not good. At least by "doing things", we are accomplishing something, hopefully distracting us from the anger or depression. I will do the music/dancing too . . . I think the music can change our mood - and dancing just keeps our body circulating in a good way. Sidenote: I was in a car accident a couple days ago - totally the other person's fault . . . we are ok but I am PO'd that I having to deal with this. So I am glad you wrote this post - right now I'm keeping super busy!!!
Sorry about your accident. I am glad you are ok. Staying busy is one of the best medicines I found for my anxiety and depression. Otherwise my mind will wander and remember stuff and make me anxious for no apparent reason.
@thehousewife Thank you. Every morning I volunteer at my son's school for maybe an hour, but this morning I stayed for 3 hours. It was a good distraction because I knew when I came home I had to deal with calling back claim adjusters and such . . . at least keeping busy made me calm. I don't like that anxious feeling either.
@edevis18 (239)
• Maracaibo, Venezuela
When I'm depressed I try to listen to music that motivates my good memories. Music is universal therapy. :-)
Agreed. Music can be the best medicine.
Reading a magazine, cleaning or even putting the radio on or watching a comedy on TV.
All of these are excellent distractions and stress reducers.
I listen to worship music, pray, listen to Todd White on youtube and clean to loud Christian music! =)
That sounds a good way to relax.
@Platespinner (19015)
I walk, and walk, and walk, and walk, and walk.....
That's one of the best exercises. It really helps a lot.
• Jalandhar, India
if you are not home, then what you do ?
Well, if I am the one driving, then I drive very very fast. If I am in a hotel room, meditation or yoga helps. If in an acquaintance's home, I try to calm myself through happy thoughts, otherwise I excuse myself and return home.
@Daelii (2644)
Pretty much all of what you said! A good walk with a hot cup of tea is pretty soothing!
I'm also a big fan of hot herbal teas.
@averygirl72 (15098)
You did a good thing to help yourself. Maybe I will just walk away and go shopping or I will rest and play games on my phone
Playing games is a good way to distract yourself from a bad day.
@tmosby (137)
It's good though Your house will get cleaned up and you will be able to burn some of your calories down.
Exactly, it's a win-win situation.
@tmosby (137)
@thehousewife People usually break things or do some crazy stuff alike. But you're opposite. You make your apartment clean and let some of your flesh get reduced.
@yokibitz (12)
I take a bath :D:D:D It might sound like I'm joking but it really works for me.
That's a really good way to relax.
@vandana7 (57621)
I like your methods because I follow them too. lol
Thank you. They are doing wonders for me.