I am beginning to really hate android

@Asylum (48101)
Manchester, England
About 4 pr 5 years ago I bought a Nexus 7 tablet running android. The tablet is easy to operate, but I have no in depth understanding of android. Yesterday my lack of android knowledge became a major problem. The Nexus 7 tablet refused to boot and kept stopping at a page displaying the android robot with the message “No command”. Eventually I checked online for any advice or solution available. Many sites gave the same advice about performing a factory reset, so I followed the instructions and reset it. Despite repeatedly telling me that the reset was successful, the device would still not boot. At this point I decided to install Ubuntu onto the tablet and went online for instructions. I installed the required protocols onto my laptop and connected the tablet via USB. When I entered the relevant commands into a terminal on my laptop the system could not find the tablet. It seems that the device has to have USB debugging enabled in order to be seen by my computer. I spent hours online searching for a solution, but every site suggested setting USB debugging via the tablet settings, which was impossible since the tablet would not boot. Even sites offering instructions of how to install Ubuntu onto a device that will not boot still suggested enabling USB debugging on the tablet first. After hours of repeatedly running the factory reset it finally began to boot, but remained at that state for a couple of hours. I left the device booting and went to bed, but it was still attempting to boot when I awoke today. For some unknown reason it did eventually boot up this morning, so I have now set USB debugging and will install Ubuntu later.
I also dislike Android, I am not interested in knowing better the system and I think I am going to do the same with my tablet, before it refuses to boot.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
It was fortunate for me that it finally booted. I cannot understand why it refused to boot for so long then finally succeeded
@Asylum Android is a mystery for me, I understand nothing of that system.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck I am still having difficulty trying to access the device from my laptop.
I'm afraid most of this is double dutch to me but I wanted to say hello and say I hope you're doing well.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
Sadly a lot of it was confusing to me at first, but I persevered and continued. As for me health, I appear to be fine at the moment thank you.
Android does have a learning curve, and it's known to be more buggy. iOS works better if you seek simplicity and problem free operations, although Apple products are more expensive. I was using iPhones for years, until I got bored and switched to Android. Although I don't want to go back to iOS and I am very happy with Android, I understand your frustration. I hope your Ubuntu installation goes smoothly.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
I do not use iOS either because two operating systems are enough for me.
@topffer (31190)
• France
I installed Linux on many PDAs/phones/tablets with a preference for Angström GPE, but a major problem is the power consumption needed, 2 or 3 times more than for Android, limiting seriously the interest. Any Linux console software can be compiled for Android, and many Linux software have been adapted, it is the choice I have made now : I use console versions of FFMPEG, SOX, etc on Android. The last tablet where I installed linux was an Android 2.2 tablet, I would not do it again.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
It is beginning to look as though the system is no longer supported for Nexus 7. I have repeatedly had the same error message via the terminal claiming "channel not found".
@topffer (31190)
• France
@Asylum You get this message when you try to install Linux ?
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
@topffer Yes, from the terminal on my laptop. I now think that the reason is that it is not longer supported, so my laptop cannot locate a file to send to the tablet.
I've never wanted a tablet and now I know why ..... my phone is an android and for what I need it works fine but I don't use it to access online sites other than the weather.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
Android is fine for basic use, but when it comes to solving configuration issues I am n alien territory.
Basic is all I want it for anyway @Asylum for any real work on the sites I love, like mylot, I use only my PC.
• Riga, Latvia
Never had anything to do with this. I rely on my steady desktop PC.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
The tablet will still not accept Ubuntu so I ,at have to give up.
Such a long struggle you had to endure. I admire your determination in trying to fix the problem.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
I am still having issues with it, so I may abandon it for a while and return later.
@Platespinner (19015)
I don't speak tech. When I have problems of that sort I run for my second son. He's gotten me out of a lot of sticky situations.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
I would have coped fine if it was Windows or Linux, but android is not easy for me.
• Preston, England
hope it has sorted itself out - if not a refund might be in order @Asylum
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
I have managed to restore android and boot up the device, but so far cannot install Ubuntu.
• Preston, England
@Asylum sounds really frustrating - not a problem I ever faced mercifully
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
23h
@arthurchappell This is probably because you have never considered changing the operating system.
• Portland, Connecticut
I have an iPad and an iPhone so am totally unfamiliar with Android technology.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
Apple is another operating system that do not use.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Asylum I am used to Apple and I find it user friendly
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
@BelleStarr All operating systems are once you are familiar with them. Since I have an excellent knowledge of Windows and a decent comprehension of Linux it is not worthwhile for me to learn another platform.
@RodrickH (1560)
Sorry to hear that you have this problem, USB debugging is a useful feature in Android system, since you can't boot up, I understand you hate Android, hope you can fix the problem later
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
The device has eventually booted up, so I can now enable USB debugging, but I have no idea why it finally worked.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
@hotsummer I know what USB debugging is, but could not find a way to activate it without being able to boot up the tablet.
@Madshadi (6979)
• Brussels, Belgium
As an operating system it’s crap but I like the money making apps on android
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
I was not aware that there were any such apps, although they would not interest me anyway.
@Madshadi (6979)
• Brussels, Belgium
@Asylum it’s the only reason I’m still with android phones
• Kathmandu, Nepal
Iam not android user so I don't face such problems.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
I am trying to stop being an Android user by installing Linux, but without any success so far
• Kathmandu, Nepal
@Asylum hope you can make it successful
@FourWalls (10602)
I miss Android like I'd miss a kidney stone. I'm quite happy with my Apple products.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
Apple is another system that I am not very familiar with.
@FourWalls (10602)
@Asylum — the words “force close” disappear from your lexicon rather quickly. I know the iPhone is more expensive, but worth every penny for the stability it offers.
@tzwrites (3990)
Maybe the problem is with the tablet itself not the software, although I agree that Android is annoying
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
It would appear that the process has been discontinued for Nexus 7, so the computer was looking for a file that no longer exists.
@yugocean (5447)
We are out of choice, even android changes in few years, my last was lolipop version, however it is still doing fine. Now I also want to use linux, and there are many problem with even windows.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
I like Windows and currently have Windows 10 on my desktop. However, I also like Linux so I often use both on different machines.
Just one question. When you reset it did you not lose all your contacts and other stuff?
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
It does remove all personal data, but I did not lose anything because I have such data archived.
@thelme55 (12398)
I think my Samsung Tablet is android. I have no idea of this system. For me, as long as it function, it is okay.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
Yes Samsung will be an android device. With either Microsoft or Linux I could solve whatever issues occurred, but not with Android.
What do you recommended? should I buy something that is a second hand or just the previous Android.
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
This is always a matter of personal choice. In my case I shall avoid android in the future.
• Jalandhar, India
I am sorry to know about your bad experience with Android
@Asylum (48101)
• Manchester, England
I suppose that it was inevitable since I have very little knowledge of the system.