Back in Florida

I am now back in Florida, wishing I had missed the sub zero weather altogether but grateful for small mercies that allow me to live here for most of the winter. All was not well with my house after the hurricane last summer, Hurricane Irma. I lost most of the shingles on my roof, so had it patched until it dried out. They were supposed to reroof by Nov but did not until now. Roofers are crawling around my roof at this moment finishing up. I stepped on an upturned roofing nail on my first walk up to the front door and spent the afternoon in the urgent care awaiting a tetanus shot and treatment. I put on sturdier shoes to carry in my suitcases and stepped on another hidden roofing nail. No extra treatment needed as it barely punctured the skin due to the sturdier soles of my shoes. But enough to make the other foot sore as well. Not good as I'm leaving on a cruise Sunday and the ship is the 2nd largest in the world. That translates into a lot of walking. But I thought all was well on the inside as I had it inspected after the hurricane. Apparently the patching wasn't enough as the ceiling is coming down in one place and is discolored in another. My nephew, the contractor is having it fixed while I'm away next week but that's more dollars. Plus new drapes as the dirty water ruined them. No more cruising as I have to replace my savings now that it's been ransacked by roofers. However, I am going to just relax and enjoy the Eastern Caribbean and thank heaven I didn't book the Western where there was a major earthquake last week.
Enjoy your cruise and hope your injured foot is fine by then. Good thing your nephew is there to oversee what's going on with the house.
It was great to have him close by. Nice to talk to you again. I've missed being here.
I am glad that you had no damages inside the house. Enjoy the cruise and have fun.
Just the spot in the picture. It could have been a lot worse.
@Jeanniemaries I agree, I believe that some people had plenty of damages.
• Jalandhar, India
please take care, Hope this mini vacation can help you feel good and relaxed
It's what I need after the holidays and all the busyness of living in the center of the family. Moving in that sub zero weather was difficult.
Enjoy your cruise. That major earthquake was in the Caribbean sea and close to Honduras, a few nearby islands - including mine were alerted about a possible tsunami - which thankfully did not occur.
Have you ever experienced a tsunami @Kandae11?
@Marilynda1225 No - never. I haven't seen any in all the years since I was born.
@Kandae11 That was good news. I live right on the water in Florida and never thought about a tsunami. I just rely on God's protection.
@sugartoes (35631)
• Greencastle, Indiana
wow that wasn't good with the roofing nails I'd be on the cruise after all that but if it wasn't me I would just tare the place down & sell the property & move out of Fla cause I went through Ivan & Dennis that was enough for me after being there 20 yrs it was time to find a better place.
I'm going to think seriously of just renting it out from here on out. I can visit Florida in the winter by spending a few weeks with my sister here in Tampa and my sister in law in Miami. Add in a cruise or two and That should get me through winter every year!
have fun on the cruise there.
I definitely will.
@Jeanniemaries I know you will.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am so sorry about your poor feet, but I hope that you will be able to walk all you need to on your cruise. We have some minor ceiling damage in our living room and we need to repaint, we were lucky.
I will be fine, already see an improvement! Yes, Irma did some damage but it could have been worse and was for many. We were the lucky ones,
Have a good time on the cruise and at least your nephew will get it fixed. Hope your foot feels better.
Thanks!
I hope that your foot heals quickly and that you have a fantastic cruise
Thanks so much!
Enjoy the cruise and then after it, start building your "savings" again
Will do!
@KristenH (21223)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Welcome back! Hope you had a nice cruise. I would love to go on one someday.
You should, they are very relaxing.
I remember those nails left around due to roofing. So glad you got that tetanus shot. I am glad you just plan to relax and enjoy.
That's a shame about your foot. I trod on a sharp chop-bone once and I can still remember the feel of the bone going into the sole of my foot.