Mylot is not the factory floor of Internet writing.

By Gill
@Gillygirl (15678)
Sutton, England
Sadly there are times when people join this site without researching what it's all about. I have seen some folk join thinking mylot is a writing site and are disappointed when they realise it is a discussion site rather than a place to write eloquent articles. Over the last month or so I have seen some unfortunate comments in these articles. Examples are "America got the president it deserved" and daily lives are banal. These comments can cause offence to many and are not in the spirit of what mylot is about. My list of the things I've read is long. Some of what I looked at involved undertones of racism, sexism and general rudeness. I wouldn't wish to repeat certain remarks I've seen. Mylot is not the factory floor of Internet writing. (That was another statement I happened to read). It is a place of fun and friendship. Let's keep it that way.
Like I said in a discussion yesterday: "myLot is like sitting in your house talking to friends, and occasionally someone throws a penny at you. Nothing more, nothing less..."
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
Exactly JJ, I saw that you tried to explain what interaction meant, (yet gain), to a user and he just didn't get it.
That's a good way to put it
@JolietJake Well said ! That's about the size of it.
Well spoken/written. Certainly some come here with the wrong idea about what myLot is all about.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
They certainly do Judy. Unusually for me I am rather mad at present.
Knowledge is power!
I try not to read the political posts. I do agree with you, we're not a factory floor. Fun and friendship is why I'm here.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
Some posts I've read are not political but are critical of the content of the site. I couldn't bear to list most of what I've seen.
@Gillygirl It's so sad. I've seen some too.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
@thedevilinme Not a very good metaphor.
Yes this is a clean, fun discussion community. Racism, hate speech, rudeness, etc. is not welcome here on myLot. Those people need to be reported, as the myLot admin do not tolerate anything like that.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
Some people are just so rude and ignorant. I could have listed so many remarks but to have done so would have been unbearable.
@Gillygirl I understand, some things should not be repeated
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
@MikesAngel317 Thank you.
I remember very well who wrote "Mylot is not the factory floor of Internet writing.". MyLot is not guilty if someone joined not understanding the spirit of this site. I do not report recipes or birthday posts, but I report racists and offending discussions.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
On that particular post the term lady boy was mentioned. This could cause offence to some of our Filipino friends. People forget that we are all from different cultures and that should be respected.
@Gillygirl You are right, we should avoid a language that could offend someone of another culture. Unfortunately some are rude and ignorant, this is not limited to this site, there are chiefs of countries who do the same.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
@LadyDuck Haha such as DT
@Dyvette16 (1478)
• San Antonio, Texas
I agree ! Very well said
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
Thank you the site is for friendship and JJ's comments hit the nail on the head.
@DaddyEvil (22287)
• Aurora, Missouri
@Gillygirl Uhm... I think I will send you an email, Gillian. I don't particularly want your discussion to be deleted because of my opinions of certain people who are also members (and more) on this site. (At least I am thinking about the possible consequences of comments I make on this site now, unlike the way I used to just say what I thought and seeing the discussion deleted because someone didn't like my opinions, true as they may be.)
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
@DaddyEvil I would never mention individuals so just say these are comments I've noted over the last month or so.
@sol_cee (13937)
• Japan
I think the one you quoted has changed his mind about myLot. :)
@Bluedoll (17183)
Yes I see some ideas being formed that were not there before by @thedevilinme as he had a fresh perspective being new. But some of his experience and ideas are good as well. Certainly not everyone here is as good a writer.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
@Bluedoll It is not necessary to be a good writer and of course everybody has different ideas of how the site is used.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
lol some people never change their minds.
I agree. Some people were so frustrated after joining mylot. They are whiners that cannot understand what's really the platform.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
Some seem to give the impression that they are so much better than us.
@Gillygirl I agree. Some of them appeared arrogant, too.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
@Shavkat Yes very much so.
• Preston, England
yes, occasionally someone rocks the boat though overall, Mylot is well run and very friendly
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
Yes there will always be boat rockers but overall Mylot is a friendly site.
• Preston, England
@Gillygirl some sites are totally out of control. Mylot is very well run which helps everyone
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
@arthurchappell Do you remember the days of Bubbws when spammers ran riot over our posts?
@Daelii (2615)
Personally I dont mind reading long articles if its someones thought/feelings. Especially if they are open to talk about it. But if its like no room for chatting why post here??
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
I have no objection to long articles but if the content contains nasty undertones and the authors don't further the discussion after receiving responses then that is out of order.
@Daelii (2615)
@Gillygirl very true!
I couldn't agree more ! I think Mylot is nothing but a blog site.Over here we should behave ourselves and respect each other.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
I agree and we belong to different cultures which must be respected.
@louievill (16578)
Yes "let's all keep it that way " says it all
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
Thank you that is sure the spirit of mylot.
• Portland, Connecticut
Some seem to feel that when discussing politics, in particular, it is alright to be rude,to denigrate others and to generally be obnoxious, I find myself leaving these discussions and avoiding those people. It is too bad when this happy site becomes a political platform
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
Very true I also move on. I would never disclose my own political affiliation on here. There were many more things I could have listed in the discussion. I saw a comment which questioned someone's religion. It came across as rude.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Gillygirl Another subject I try to avoid, I practice my religion but I do not like to throw it in everyone's face and I certainly believe we all have the right to our own beliefs or unbelief.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
@BelleStarr Yes that is true but I do appreciate it when you tell me you've included me in your prayer line.
Don't be upset with them, they just don't know who they are. =) God loves them anyway though. I just pray for them.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
That is a wonderful attitude to have Jenn.
I agree with you Jennifer - Peace and blessings to you!
@LPort2017 Thank you and the same to you. =)
I agree with you totally , I do not like seeing posts which promote racism , sexism and all the other isms. Mylot as I understand it - is a place where one can relax and have fun while earning something.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
Well said.
My thoughts exactly
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
I'm glad we are on the same page Andrea.
@DaddyEvil (22287)
• Aurora, Missouri
You may have seen some remarks I have posted on some rather interesting? discussions I've read here on myLot. (I generally respond to those discussions with offers of help and suggestions that the author needs to do some digging into the site before stating objectionable comments.) If/When my response is ignored or spurned, my reasoned comments may begin to come back slightly rude to that author... (Usually, if the topic matters to me, I go down the entire thread, making my own comments to what others have said there.) It is very rare that the other myLotters disagree with the comments I give to what they've said to the same author. On the few occasions when another member did disagree, I consider where their response may have come from and ask for clarifications. This usually gives the author some extra change while showing them the true power of myLot... *shrug.* If I am doing things wrong, please explain a better way to do this.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
I feel you are doing the right thing DE. In fact on one comment I did ask the author to back the remark up with evidence. This of course did not happen.
@DaddyEvil (22287)
• Aurora, Missouri
@Gillygirl Yup! Me, too. My response and comment were both deleted. (The author has the right to delete anything on his/her own discussion, but I would have preferred an answer rather than my response and comment being deleted. *shrug!*)
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
@DaddyEvil That indicates the author cannot justify a response.
@thelme55 (12373)
Yes, let us keep it this way. Having fun.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
Too right, there is no need for high handed comments. I enjoy the site and reading about peoples daily lives. There is no place here for sexist and racist comments and general rudeness shouldn't be tolerated.
@thelme55 (12373)
@Gillygirl I agree with you. Enjoy your weekend.
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
@thelme55 Thanks Thelma, have a great weekend.
@Shiva49 (10544)
I was in three other sites earlier which were writing sites. Associated Content bought over by Yahoo and named Yahoo Contributor Network/Yahoo Voices. Bukisa Wikinut Then I was told of this site and I had a look. Then I took it as a challenge to make my views concise. I am more of an adaptor to changes and I make sure I enjoy my time here through interactions. Never be a party pooper though occasional self deprecating jokes can be part of the show to lend variety- siva
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
I've heard of the sites you mention. Are they still going? Interactions are enjoyable and I do like a joke as long as it's not at somebody else's expense.
@Shiva49 (10544)
@Gillygirl Yahoo closed its writing site as they thought it was not going anywhere. They had paid a purported sum of $100 million to Associated Content for 2 million posts ie $50 each. I had 400 posts with the many comments and it was a setback for many as they could have sold it for a song than just erase all the work. Bukisa, supposed to be an Israeli site, never got going. Then Wikinut, a British one, stopped paying, and when they did that many active contributors left. I am still there but with no interactions it is no fun to be active - siva
@Gillygirl I couldn't agree more with what you are saying!
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
Thank you very much.