Mylot is not the factory floor of Internet writing.

By Gill
@Gillygirl (17361)
Sutton, England
Sadly there are times when people join this site without researching what it's all about. I have seen some folk join thinking mylot is a writing site and are disappointed when they realise it is a discussion site rather than a place to write eloquent articles. Over the last month or so I have seen some unfortunate comments in these articles. Examples are "America got the president it deserved" and daily lives are banal. These comments can cause offence to many and are not in the spirit of what mylot is about. My list of the things I've read is long. Some of what I looked at involved undertones of racism, sexism and general rudeness. I wouldn't wish to repeat certain remarks I've seen. Mylot is not the factory floor of Internet writing. (That was another statement I happened to read). It is a place of fun and friendship. Let's keep it that way.
Like I said in a discussion yesterday: "myLot is like sitting in your house talking to friends, and occasionally someone throws a penny at you. Nothing more, nothing less..."
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Exactly JJ, I saw that you tried to explain what interaction meant, (yet gain), to a user and he just didn't get it.
That's a good way to put it
@JolietJake Well said ! That's about the size of it.
Well spoken/written. Certainly some come here with the wrong idea about what myLot is all about.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
They certainly do Judy. Unusually for me I am rather mad at present.
Knowledge is power!
I try not to read the political posts. I do agree with you, we're not a factory floor. Fun and friendship is why I'm here.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Some posts I've read are not political but are critical of the content of the site. I couldn't bear to list most of what I've seen.
@Gillygirl It's so sad. I've seen some too.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@thedevilinme Not a very good metaphor.
Yes this is a clean, fun discussion community. Racism, hate speech, rudeness, etc. is not welcome here on myLot. Those people need to be reported, as the myLot admin do not tolerate anything like that.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Some people are just so rude and ignorant. I could have listed so many remarks but to have done so would have been unbearable.
@Gillygirl I understand, some things should not be repeated
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@MikesAngel317 Thank you.
I remember very well who wrote "Mylot is not the factory floor of Internet writing.". MyLot is not guilty if someone joined not understanding the spirit of this site. I do not report recipes or birthday posts, but I report racists and offending discussions.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
On that particular post the term lady boy was mentioned. This could cause offence to some of our Filipino friends. People forget that we are all from different cultures and that should be respected.
@Gillygirl You are right, we should avoid a language that could offend someone of another culture. Unfortunately some are rude and ignorant, this is not limited to this site, there are chiefs of countries who do the same.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@LadyDuck Haha such as DT
• Preston, England
yes, occasionally someone rocks the boat though overall, Mylot is well run and very friendly
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Yes there will always be boat rockers but overall Mylot is a friendly site.
• Preston, England
@Gillygirl some sites are totally out of control. Mylot is very well run which helps everyone
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@arthurchappell Do you remember the days of Bubbws when spammers ran riot over our posts?
I agree. Some people were so frustrated after joining mylot. They are whiners that cannot understand what's really the platform.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Some seem to give the impression that they are so much better than us.
@Gillygirl I agree. Some of them appeared arrogant, too.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Shavkat Yes very much so.
@Dyvette16 (1467)
• San Antonio, Texas
I agree ! Very well said
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Thank you the site is for friendship and JJ's comments hit the nail on the head.
@DaddyEvil (25738)
• Aurora, Missouri
@Gillygirl Uhm... I think I will send you an email, Gillian. I don't particularly want your discussion to be deleted because of my opinions of certain people who are also members (and more) on this site. (At least I am thinking about the possible consequences of comments I make on this site now, unlike the way I used to just say what I thought and seeing the discussion deleted because someone didn't like my opinions, true as they may be.)
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@DaddyEvil I would never mention individuals so just say these are comments I've noted over the last month or so.
@sol_cee (16889)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
I think the one you quoted has changed his mind about myLot. :)
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Bluedoll It is not necessary to be a good writer and of course everybody has different ideas of how the site is used.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
lol some people never change their minds.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I haven't named names lol.
Some seem to feel that when discussing politics, in particular, it is alright to be rude,to denigrate others and to generally be obnoxious, I find myself leaving these discussions and avoiding those people. It is too bad when this happy site becomes a political platform
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Very true I also move on. I would never disclose my own political affiliation on here. There were many more things I could have listed in the discussion. I saw a comment which questioned someone's religion. It came across as rude.
@Gillygirl Another subject I try to avoid, I practice my religion but I do not like to throw it in everyone's face and I certainly believe we all have the right to our own beliefs or unbelief.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@BelleStarr Yes that is true but I do appreciate it when you tell me you've included me in your prayer line.
I agree, it's a fun place to spend some time on. Once in a while I do see some rude comments on others posts. I do wish that the mylot folks would delete posts about how much one makes or has on here. I tend not to read those, but yesterday I saw one that was asking for likes so they could get to the next dollar. I think that is wrong.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
People who ask for likes make me cringe. I would have thought it was against the rules.
They don't get paid for likes @Gillygirl only for comments to their responses, so like all ya want.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@rebelann Oh I thought Alex said likes were paid.
@Daelii (5817)
Personally I dont mind reading long articles if its someones thought/feelings. Especially if they are open to talk about it. But if its like no room for chatting why post here??
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I have no objection to long articles but if the content contains nasty undertones and the authors don't further the discussion after receiving responses then that is out of order.
@Daelii (5817)
@Gillygirl very true!
I couldn't agree more ! I think Mylot is nothing but a blog site.Over here we should behave ourselves and respect each other.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I agree and we belong to different cultures which must be respected.
@louievill (19340)
Yes "let's all keep it that way " says it all
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Thank you that is sure the spirit of mylot.
@DaddyEvil (25738)
• Aurora, Missouri
You may have seen some remarks I have posted on some rather interesting? discussions I've read here on myLot. (I generally respond to those discussions with offers of help and suggestions that the author needs to do some digging into the site before stating objectionable comments.) If/When my response is ignored or spurned, my reasoned comments may begin to come back slightly rude to that author... (Usually, if the topic matters to me, I go down the entire thread, making my own comments to what others have said there.) It is very rare that the other myLotters disagree with the comments I give to what they've said to the same author. On the few occasions when another member did disagree, I consider where their response may have come from and ask for clarifications. This usually gives the author some extra change while showing them the true power of myLot... *shrug.* If I am doing things wrong, please explain a better way to do this.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I feel you are doing the right thing DE. In fact on one comment I did ask the author to back the remark up with evidence. This of course did not happen.
@DaddyEvil (25738)
• Aurora, Missouri
@Gillygirl Yup! Me, too. My response and comment were both deleted. (The author has the right to delete anything on his/her own discussion, but I would have preferred an answer rather than my response and comment being deleted. *shrug!*)
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@DaddyEvil That indicates the author cannot justify a response.
Don't be upset with them, they just don't know who they are. =) God loves them anyway though. I just pray for them.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
That is a wonderful attitude to have Jenn.
I agree with you Jennifer - Peace and blessings to you!
@LPort2017 Thank you and the same to you. =)
I agree with you totally , I do not like seeing posts which promote racism , sexism and all the other isms. Mylot as I understand it - is a place where one can relax and have fun while earning something.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Well said.
My thoughts exactly
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I'm glad we are on the same page Andrea.
You hit that one directly on top of the nail. It's a shame that a lot of people can't have rational and polite discussions about politics and religion. I suppose that's why so many write about the weather or, as in my case, about their pets. Of course writing about our pets could insite an argument or two if someone else disagrees about your treatment of that pet ..... oh my, what a bag of nails we create
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Some people get really fired up. I sit back and have a good laugh.
I try to do the same @Gillygirl but if I see an opportunity to help someone understand their cat or dog a little better I can't help but try.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@rebelann There's nothing wrong with that and it's part of what Mylot is about.
I agree. This isn't the venue for that. I've seen some of those and choose to ignore them.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Ignoring is the best way but unfortunately on one of them I just had to have my say. Oh dear time to get some doughballs out for throwing.
@Gillygirl I knew, without reading, whom you were referring to. Believe me, I'd just love to crush a doughball with a spatula.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@DianneN Lol the way I feel it would be a great big steam roller. I read a comment he made on another post that he made 50 cents by winding me up yesterday. I thought the interaction was hilarious.