Take your clothes above the waist off, he says.

I had to fast all morning until afternoon for my ultra sound (elevated liver issue) visit and this time the tech was an older man. Last year, I had a woman. He told me "take your clothes above the waist off" as he left. Hmm, but I kept my bra on. He could have worded it different like, you can change into the gown and remove your shirt - keep your undergarments on. Then, when he came back - I asked him, so my bra is okay on right? He said up to you. Well, sure enough I kept it on. This was my first male experience for an ultrasound or anything doctor related besides one time where I had to get my finger squeezed and it was a male doctor but for an urgent care visit. Afterwards, I enjoyed a lunch able in the car that I brought.
Glad it is over and, love lunchables. What kind?
Me too. I had to fast until about 2:20 pm. Ham & Cheddar with Oreo Cookies
@infatuatedbby My favorite :)
@infatuatedbby Very good deal. I finished off a combo pack the other day.
@sjvg1976 (18380)
We usually have female technicians for female for conducting tests.
We have to request sometimes.
I know I am not comfortable with some test and men do them
Oh yes, I know what you mean. I requested female doctors for that. Others don't mind, but I'd feel awkward.
some people have no bedside manner at all anymore.they're borderline rude.
He could have worded it more professional. I was only wearing a t-shirt and bra. Had I been bundled up or in layers?? Maybe different story.
@gaianoor (1144)
• Tirana, Albania
The doctors are so used to saying that, they don’t say it with subtext
He wasn't a doctor, just a technician.
@gaianoor (1144)
• Tirana, Albania
@infatuatedbby technician too. Worked two years on the Radiology Section of the hospital. For them is just a way to talk, nothing more
@gaianoor Gotcha. But I think more professionalism should have been on their behalf to make the patient less awkward/uncomfortable.
I'm uncomfortable with anyone. Young, old, male, female. And I've had all of them.. many times. Thats not an unusal thing for a dr to say. I've heard it alot
He wasn't a doctor - just a tech for the ultrasound. It's just he and I in the room. I think it'll just be more comfortable professional for a tech to say, keep your undergarments on just remove your top and wear the gown. For a doctor, remove everything, or whichever is understandable because they'll be examining us. It could be nerve wrecking at times, but for doctors I request a female doctor and after a couple of visits ~ I'd feel more comfortable.
@infatuatedbby ooh.. well techs say it here too. Its normal here
@Courtlynn Oh not here, they have to word it properly. For a doctor I don't mind, but for a tech - definitely more professional on their end is preferred.
@ricki_911 (19264)
• Toronto, Ontario
I now just dont even know or care if its a male or female. But i agree woman tend to be ruder in my opinion and males tend to walk on a thin line.
This was my first male encounter besides an urgent care visit. I prefer women though.. but this man just wanted to get the point and the procedure was much quicker too.
@ricki_911 (19264)
• Toronto, Ontario
@infatuatedbby i find men are and i perfer that. They are more professional in my way. They tend to take more care during procedurea. I fins woman can cause a lot of pain or uncomforrable.
@ricki_911 I only had a few experience with men that are nurses/doctors. I do prefer women but I can't judge.
@kobesbuddy (43545)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I hate any kind of exam, that requires my clothes taken off, even with women technicians. I'm glad yours is all over now.
Yes, it is an uncomfortable feeling. I do prefer women though but yes, I am glad it's over with now also.
Geez, there are better ways to say things . . . he could have been a little more gentleman like than just saying that . Hope you enjoyed your food when you finally got to eat . . . and I hope your liver is ok!!
Yes totally could have been more professional. Thank you, I will know next week.
@much2say Going to the doctor appointment tomorrow!
@pitstop (5429)
Sounds like he was in a hurry. What were you wearing for the scan. A loose t-shirt or shirt means you can lift it up without taking it off or removing your bra. On another note, it's always a good idea to wear your good inner wear when you go for a medical appointment. I remember it I had to take my pant off and had an old faded underwear which looked terrible.
I was just wearing loose fitting sweats and a t-shirt. (not too tight t-shirt). I always wear comfortable clothing when I go to the doctors. Oh yes, haha I had non-matching socks once !
@pitstop (5429)
@infatuatedbby non matching socks are not that bad!!
@pitstop lol , but def cute panties to the doc though :)
@Shivram59 (2576)
@infatuatedbby Here we have lady doctors to check female patients.
That would be more comfortable and less awkward.
@Shivram59 (2576)
@infatuatedbby Exactly.Females get embarrassed when a male doctor checks them.
@Shivram59 I'd be more shy than embarrassed though :)
@aureliah (14842)
I always dread such hospital visits as a woman.
I usually request female doctors/nurses but I did not know this time.
@aureliah (14842)
@infatuatedbby haha it happens when you do not ask about the doctor you will be seeing
@aureliah Yeah - next time I will remember.
I think this x-ray technician is rude. If I am going to be a clinical instructor, he will get a failing grade.
I think he could have been more professional.
@infatuatedbby I am in the medical field, too. That's the reason I reacted of how he carried his job to you, my friend. He is really rude.
@Shavkat Ah gotcha! Yes, I thought it was rude too.
Didn't you get under a cover or something? How did it go with the bra on? I understand what you are saying. I have both female and male technicians.
Yes, I was given a gown. Remove shirt and then wear the gown (the opening toward the back). So when I lay down, The entire front is covered, just roll up so he can ultra sound my stomach (under my chest)
@infatuatedbby Yes that is what I thought Michelle.
@Hannihar Yes but the wording he said was just an awkward moment.
I would have liked a gown, for sure, yes, keeping the bra on.. I hope your liver is doing better, I have that issues, but they never followed up on that.
Yes I was given a gown also, but still the wording was just awkward. You should follow up when you have the chance.
@infatuatedbby I know , I should, but they take so long to see me.
@CookieMonster46 Yeah it does take time, which I don't like too.
Why would you have to take everything off for an ultrasound? I always just had to unbutton my pants and pull the zipper part down and pull my shirt up and tuck it under my bra. I would have felt very uncomfortable with the man having me undress so much.
I had to undress the last time (last year too) they don't want the gel to get all over our clothes. I just took my shirt off and wore a gown. The gown covered the front and I pushed it up and that was it. But yeah, it was awkward getting a man as my tech and his wording.
@infatuatedbby here they tuck things in over the shirt and pants to keep them from getting gel on it.
@shaggin yeah they should do that here to make it less uncomfortable for a procedure that isn't done by a professional doctor.
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
One thing medical schools need to do is to teach medical students how to be more compassionate when they are interacting with patients. And to be a little more tactful when talking with patients.
If it was a doctor - I wouldn't mind too much because they're there to check me. But as a technician for an ultrasound - be a little more professional!
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby Well, personally speaking, if I was the ultrasound tech I might have said the same thing if you were my patient! lol
@moffittjc hahahah
@cttolledo (4105)
It's awkward. I haven't experience that before. But maybe doctors are used to it. It's nothing to them maybw haha
This is a tech, so not a doctor. If it was a doctor I wouldn't mind too much!
@cttolledo for this ultrasound exam, the tech does it and i do not see the doctor. if the doctor said this i wouldn't feel as comfortable, but i prefer female anyway too
• Austin, Texas
I avoid male doctors if I can. I just don't feel comfortable with them. It's just me. I'm sure they are good at their jobs and very professional.
This wasn't a doctor, a tech. I would prefer female doctors too.
• Austin, Texas
@infatuatedbby - When I say doctors I'm including everybody, including the techs, medical assistants, etc. I prefer females all the way!
@cmoneyspinner Ah gotcha! I'd prefer females all the way too but this wasn't so bad. if it was a different part, i would have asked no offensive but i prefer female =P
@MsBooklover (3818)
It was also strange that when you asked if it was OK to keep your bra on, he said it was up to you. Really? What he should have said was....yes, that's fine. He said...that is up to you. Well, most women are going to want to keep it on. What woman is going to say....I would really rather take it off?
Before I had a women and I removed my bra because I felt comfortable to do so, but she didn't make it seem awkward either (or the way she used her words was normal). This was just weird, so I kept it on and double checked with him because he didn't specify. But yeah I don't know who would take it off either.
@infatuatedbby I normally get women for things like that.
@MsBooklover I'd prefer that also