Username vs Screen-name - two very different things (how to properly 'tag' a user)

I see this pop up often, so I guess many people don't know the difference. I'll use myself for an example. My screen-name is JJ. My username is JolietJake. If you try to tag me by adding an '@' to my screen-name (@JJ), I will never get notified of it, and anyone clicking it will be taken to the 'Whoops!' page as if I do not exist here. For me to get notified (and for a link to go to my profile) you have to use the username, @JolietJake. Always use the username (that already has '@' in front of it) to tag a user or to direct others to their profile *This message brought to you courtesy of SomeGuyTyping@InHisBed.Room that keeps getting directed to non-existent profiles
@Starla_9 (261)
I made this mistake a few times on my first few intial messages, then finally figured it out. It is confusing. Useful helpful post. Thanks.
I think the worst part is when people try to direct someone to Admin's profile...they'll type @GoAskAlex_Admin which leads to the 'Whoops!' page. The proper tag is @GoAskAlice for the profile.
@aureliah (17779)
Luck you figured early. I just figured it out.
There is a big confusion about this and many type the username wrong, when a cut and paste is so easy to perform.
I know...I've been @JulietJake and @JolietJoke and all kinds of things
@JolietJake I have been @missduck several times.
@LoriAMoore I agree.
@kobesbuddy (52601)
• East Tawas, Michigan
When we get to know people, it's very natural to give them a 'first' name. But, on a website such as this one, a first name means absolutely nothing at all. That's like asking someone you know, 'How's Sue doing?' They look at you inquisitively and reply back, 'Which Sue are you talking about?' There are millions of Sues in the world, but our username is 'one specific person.' Noone else can use that handle. kobesbuddy? Who in their right mind would want that name?
Exactly. Going all the way back to the beginning of time, there are 6 other users here with the screen-name of 'JJ' (but none with that username). However, there is only 1 @JolietJake
@kobesbuddy (52601)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JolietJake And if a new member tried to use the login name @JolietJake the site would reply 'Already used,' please, select another username.
@Icydoll (23394)
Most of the new users get confused about this..i never did that ;).
You're one of those that have the same username/screen-name, so people could use either of them
@Icydoll (23394)
@JolietJake yeah no confusion:)
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
I have occasionally come across such instances where by someone has attempted to tag me using my screen name.
@aureliah (17779)
Hahaha thank you someguytyping. I also wondered how I could tag someone and I'm sure @jolietJake will not take you to a non-existent person
Every once in a while I'll do a search for JJ in responses and comments with the search feature because I get 'tagged' that way sometimes and of course I don't get notified of it.
@aureliah (17779)
@JolietJake Mmm okay
@tmosby (315)
I got you, buddy. Thanks for the info. Will not get confused to the screen name and the username.
@lovebuglena (6844)
• Staten Island, New York
Some people try to type in the username instead of doing copy/paste and sometimes end up misspelling it, which also leads to a Whoops! page.
@peachpurple (12769)
Yeah I know that already since bubblews days, thanks
I have never known this but I dont often tag!
@vandana7 (66823)
Now you tell me...after so many years...