2 weeks notice!

Hope everyone is having a fabulous Saturday. I am writing from the elliptical at the gym from -10 degree Minnesota. Hope all is well. Have you ever given a 2 weeks notice, quitting from your employer? Was it in person, in writing or both? The only time I have ever quit a full time job I ATTEMPTED to set up a meeting with my manager but she guessed that i was putting my notice in over the phone. I did write a letter after that to the head honchos. Did I fail to mention I received a "contingent offer" for this position I was interviewing for? Omgomg. It is contingent based on a background check (in progress), a drug test (scheduled for Monday) and fingerprinting (not sure exactly what the purpose of that is). I am still waiting on the starting date too. Hurrsy! I know i am ready for a change of pace and also over 10k per year in a wage hike. At any rate, i am already anticipating quitting and putting in my notice although it wont be for several weeks. What has been your experience with giving your resignation notice?
I gave mine in person at a job I wanted and loved. The boss would not correct a bad employee so I left.
Ugh that is always frustrating.
I do not think I ever resigned from a position. I taught and just kept on teaching.
Nice. Thats a good thing!
I always give a two weeks notice, it is the professional thing to do. I did it in person not in writing and never over the phone.
I agree that is the best way to go. I wanted to tell my supervisor at my last job face to face but she guessed what I was asking for over the phone when I asked for a meeting. Lol
Giving notice can be a bit stressful. Good luck with the new job
I agree! I dont think it evr gets easier. Unless you truly hate the job youre quitting. But that is not the case with me.
Congratulations, how wonderful, and so much more money. I'm so happy for you. I would just type it out and hand it in for your resignation.
Me too. Now I do have like 7 supervisors. Which do you address it to? Each of them?
@maezee Maybe To Whom It May Concern, though I'm not sure.
I hope you get the job offer. I've never given a notice. Seemed I was always fired first.
Ah sorry to hear that
Both times I just said take this job and, shove it then I left.
Haha!!
@hereandthere (29867)
i usually submit a resignation letter with 15 days' or 1 month's notice to my immediate superior.
That is nice to give them that extra time. I would like to also but depends on how quickly I can get an official offer and starting date. So excited
@cttolledo (4105)
In my past company, 1 month notice is required
Is that right? I can understand it though. Here the standard is generally 2 weeks but employers often prefer more if possible
@cttolledo (4105)
@maezee 1 month or 30 days is what the laws required here, you can shorten it or extend it depending on the arrangement of employee and employer but under the law it should be atleast 30 days.
@cttolledo That seems to be the case with a lot of countries . Here I do hink it depends on your employer and your contract
• Northampton, England
My manger called me a bleep leep when I resigned.I asked fora payrise and he called me a bleep bleep bleep.
Oh my goodness. How unprofessional!
@Mshafeeq (1570)
• Bangalore, India
So rude dude. It's your right to ask fora pay rise what is bad in it.
@Blondie2222 (21398)
I've done it before and I did it in person. Some people do a resignation letter and the boss signs it and that is all you have to do really.
Ooh I didnt know they have to sign it? And then you keep a copy?
@Blondie2222 (21398)
@maezee I believe so, I've never done it though.
Ooh this is exciting!
@maezee goodluck!
@Madshadi (8937)
• Brussels, Belgium
When I quit my last job I had a nice understanding with my boss back then and I stopped working on the same day
Wow! Did they deduct your pay or anything as a result?
@Madshadi (8937)
• Brussels, Belgium
@maezee no. That’s why it was a nice deal.
@peachpurple (12851)
Here you have to give a month notice
Does it vary with the job or is that just the law?
@ricki_911 (19299)
• Toronto, Ontario
I would wait until you have another job in place and papers filed. I have left a fee jobs but usualky its due to layoffs or season ends.
Absolutely waiting on the word from this new position. They dont call it a "contingent" offer for nothin lol
@ricki_911 (19299)
• Toronto, Ontario
@maezee Some put it as they got the job then they realize they didnt get it. Hopefully its all done and you get it.
@ricki_911 I hope so but I agree. I would never quit if I didnt have a backup
@sjvg1976 (18380)
Here we have to give at least one month notice to the employer otherwise they deduct their one month salary.
Oh wow. Do other employers then allow you to start one month out?
@sjvg1976 (18380)
@maezee yes most of them give one month's time to join.
@nitirrbb7 (3223)
Good you have 2 weeks here it is a month's notice and if you are from the IT department its 3 month's in advance, god knows who Wait's for someone to join
Oh my goodness that is wild!
@nitirrbb7 (3223)
@maezee Wild! its crazy
One time when I gave my notice they would,t accept it as they thought I was upset about something. I was but I told them I had been planning it for awhile. I never should have left that job though it was probably the mistake of my life but hindsight is always 20/20. Well !maybe not the worst mistake but up there. I am sure yours will be fine though good luck!
Oh jeez! Why do you think it was a mistake leaving? It does seem like theres always a risk involved. I keep thinking...what if i totally fail at this job? Or what if i hate it?
@maezee I was being paid a good salary and had few responsibilities. It was a very good job but at the time i wanted something different. It was a poorly thought out and ill timed decision. I hope yours goes much better!
You have to really have a strong mindset after you give your notice. Its too easy to just leave and not return, since you're already on your way out. I always give a written 2 weeks notice to the HR department. I usually told my immediate supervisor also, but I did it in private because I never liked others hearing about it while I was still there, they treat you differently then. Good luck with your testing!
I agree. I dont want to be treated differently. But I am sure after giving notice I will be.
@maezee You probably will notice it and you will probably feel less interested and motivated, that was how I always felt, just counting down the days. That is why I always thought the less that knew about it the better.
That is awesome you will have such a great increase in your wages at the new job!
Yes! I havent gotten THE real offer for it yet but I think it will be coming.
@maezee I hope so!