Do you like coziness? Or space?

Pleasant Hill, California
For most of my life, I've preferred coziness to space, at least when it comes to homes. The McMansions that dominate California seem over-sized, sterile, and empty to me. I wouldn't want to live in one. I've lived in small, snuggly, spaces, and been perfectly happy, except when my guitar and speaker collections start to get in the way. Recently, we played a gig in an Eichler house. Eichler himself was a real estate developer who was born in 1900 and hired Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired architects to create open, spacious houses for post-war families, largely in the 1950s. I absolutely fell in love with the house, and would consider buying one if I had the chance. In California (where many of them are), they go for around $800,000, which is just above the median price for houses in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've always loved Wright's homes (though they tend to have leaky roofs) and recognized the Wright influence as we were playing in the Eichler house. I went home and Googled "Eichler" after the gig. But then again, I enjoy my tiny spaces. Do you have a preference for coziness versus space? Do like the look of the Eichler living room?
we have a couple of Frank L.Wright home here in NH.They have tours mostly in the Spring and Summer.
• Pleasant Hill, California
There was one near where I loved in Chicago, and another by one of his students (I believe) in Grinnell Iowa, where I went to college. I have always liked them. I do like the Eichlers.
@TheHorse You *loved* in Chicago? A Freudian slip of the tongue?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@MALUSE I actually did more loving in Iowa that I did in Chicago. That's one of my most common typos. I'll just leave it for now.
I wouldn't like to live in this house. It's nice to be able to look out but I definitely wouldn't like people to look in and me being on show for every passer-by.
• Pleasant Hill, California
There's designed so people can't see much from the front, but they look out into lovely and (fairly) spacious back yards.
@TheHorse Burglars must love such houses.
@MALUSE I do not like at all the living room in the photo. The sofa it's not comfortable at all and all the place looks "cold" and without personality.
Why not both? The living room is too much open and light for me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think the bedrooms and "studies" are more "cozy." I'm going to go take a look at another one one of these days. There are several Eichler neighborhoods in the Bay Area.
@Ganma7 (2828)
Me too
• San Jose, California
I agree.
• Rochester, New York
I love small spaces. An idea place for me would be a country cottage like the ones in the UK.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I would probably enjoy that as well.
• Northampton, England
they aint cheap. thats 700k right there
• Pleasant Hill, California
@thedevilinme For a small cottage? Yikes!
This does look lovely We've been lucky enough to have always had a largish living/lounge room which we like as it's easier for entertaining numbers which seems to be what we do from time to time. Our next house is going to have to be a lot smaller but then there'll be less to clean so it's all good.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I wish I could entertain That would be the advantage of a larger house. I could have my "intimate spaces," but also larger spaces for entertaining. I think the acoustics for acoustic instruments would also be good with an asymmetrical ceiling.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I wish you could come to our gig tonight. I'll be on my new bass all night (maybe with a couple of exceptions), as our regular bass player (in that band) can't make it. We'll be a trio, which should be interesting.
@TheHorse I hope you enjoy the evening and that your bass is all you hoped it would be. We recently came across some tapes of Vince's old dance band back in the dinosaur era. Now we're trying to convert them to CDs or 'sticks' or whatever they call them.
@1hopefulman (31606)
My apartment is a one room studio but quite big since I live alone.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I live in a smallish space too, and it's quickly filling up!
@1hopefulman (31606)
@TheHorse I decided to stop collecting stuff. I only bring home what I really need and gave away a lot of stuff that was just occupying space. For now, there is still a lot of room. If you want one of those houses, you will have to write one big hit.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@1hopefulman Yeppers. So far, Justin Bieber hasn't asked me to write something for him. Still sitting by the phone.
I enjoy cozy space. We like lots of room, but it doesn't mean they can't be well done and cozy.
• Pleasant Hill, California
If I buy an Eichler, I'll invite both you and my older sister (an art historian and self-proclaimed best interior decorator in the world) to help me decorate. Of course, I'll videotape everything and sell it to WWF if you come to blows.
@TheHorse Lol! Not to worry. I am hopeless when it comes to decorating and need to hire professionals every time. All I know is what I like and what I don't like.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@DianneN Heh. My sister goes nuts when she has the opportunity to decorate.
@Butchcass4 (6028)
I definitely do not like the picture of that living room. I prefer cozy. My husband and I live in a cozy 1 bedroom cottage. It has a big kitchen, big living room a laundry room and a pantry. The bedroom is just big enough! I couldn't imagine being able to afford an $800,000.00 home! Does anyone in myLot land own a home for that kind of money?
• Pleasant Hill, California
All I own is a cabin in Montana on 5 acres. Here in California, I rent.
@TheHorse If you don't mind my asking how much do you pay for rent? I was born in Glendale, CA I was 3 years old when we left to come to Northeastern Pa Bradford county, the boondocks! Is you own cabin big or small? Like how many bedrooms do you have? Do you mow the whole 5 acres? That would be quite the job!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Butchcass4 I Pay about $1300/mo for rent in California for a small space. The cabin has three (small) rooms plus the kitchen. I keep the area around the cabin natural.
If the Eichler living room is the one in the photo I do not like it at all, cold and uncomfortable. I like a cozy living room, but also space, the two things are compatible.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I would warm that room up with large bookcases and more welcoming couches and chairs.
@TheHorse There is nothing I like in this room, not even the painting on the wall.
• San Jose, California
I agree with that.Too small means it's not cozy because you bump into people.
I like cozy. That space is too sterile. Definitely not for me. I've seen the designs by Frank Lloyd Wright and enjoyed them.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I wonder if one could cozy it up with better furniture.
@TheHorse It would definitely need a furniture redo on that home to make it cozier.
@Icydoll (23394)
I like tiny spaces..but the look of eichler living room is good
• Pleasant Hill, California
They're really nicely designed. The living room, dining room, and kitchen are all open. The bedrooms are off to the side.
@Chellezhere (1395)
Hmmm. One of my mother's best friends since eighth grade has owned and lived in a Frank Lloyd Wright house in Pennsylvania for decades, and has never once has a problem with it leaking. And, as for your question; throughout my life, I have been comfortable with coziness and with space. But, as I have reached my fifth decade of life, I have come to realize for me, less is more.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's sort of the way I've done it too. Small living space. But love the outdoors.
• Austin, Texas
Both! I think it's possible to be cozy in a spacious room.
• Pleasant Hill, California
If I lived in such a house, I wonder if I would play my guitar in my bedroom, or bring it to the living room.
• Austin, Texas
@TheHorse - My husband would play his guitar in the bedroom and only bring it down to entertain guests. My husband's 3rd arm is his guitar. I've often accused him of having an affair with it. He says he needs something for comfort, because I'm always loving up my laptop.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@cmoneyspinner Sounds like a fair "open relationship."
@peachpurple (12769)
I live the coziness of my bedroom
• Pleasant Hill, California
Me too! Of mine, I mean. I didn't mean to imply...oh, never mind.
@peachpurple (12769)
@TheHorse yeah bedroom is the best, comfy
• Pleasant Hill, California
@peachpurple I really do prefer a cozy bedroom as well.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
Actually, I do like the picture; although the couch and chairs could be a bit more comfy @TheHorse . I'd actually like a Log Cabin but with the openness of the picture.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I agree! Actually, my brother and his wife built a cabin in Idaho that's cozy (though spacious), but looks out over a valley.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
@TheHorse Now that would be gorgeous.
The only thing I have against small spaces is that they tend to get cluttered..and I do have to have a big kitchen. The house I have now is a bit too large for one person..I could do just fine with a few hundred feet less in space..but too big is better than too small in my book.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm gonna eat some lunch and see if I can make this place seem bigger today.
@kobesbuddy (52616)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Frank Lloyd Wright was an idol, of my brother in law, Mike. He's in the architecture dept. at LSU. Every single house that Mike built, the roof leaks! There's never enough roof pitch, to control this problem, especially in Michigan. I love a cozy home, don't need lots of space. That living room is nice for him, but it's not my choice for comfort.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh heh. Thanks for the morning chuckle. Does Mike KNOW that Frank Lloyd Wright is is idol? Heh.
organized clutter i guess.a big house is just more to maintain.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Speaking of clutter, I should make a vow to go on a cleaning and tossing frenzy today. A vacuuming frenzy would follow.
That house is nice but I go for the cozy medium, not small but not huge.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm hoping to have a cleaning/tossing frenzy today and get rid of 100 lbs of unnecessary stuff I have here. Maybe it will make my small space seem less cramped.
I do like open spaces and when I bought my current home it has an open concept downstairs. But, I think it has a cozy feeling (does that sound contradictory?)
• Pleasant Hill, California
No! Were I an architect, that would be my goal: to simultaneously create a sense of space and intimacy.