A GoFundMe for $13,000 to replace your car?

By JJ
Okay...one of my nieces had her car stolen today. It was recovered, but the thief wrecked it into a tree trying to get away from the police. Now, I'm not quite sure if they didn't have insurance or what...but she and her husband started a GoFundMe drive...to replace the car...because they are short on money. (Just found out they did have insurance, but it's not enough to pay for the car they decided to buy) But $13,000.00? I don't get it. You can buy a damn good used car for way less than that. Don't know if they have to keep up 'appearances' or what, exactly. Maybe it's just me...I always thought something like GoFundMe is for things you really need, not for what you want. But I'm a grumpy old man.
Feel so bad for them, that's an awful situation. =( A vehicle is needed now a days, but maybe not an expensive one.
Yeah, a vehicle is needed, but just a working one...asking people for $13,000 to buy a car is just wrong on so many levels
@JolietJake I know, I did say not such an expensive one.
• Staten Island, New York
@JolietJake But people don't have to fund the gofundme account. They can refuse.
Ghhheeee, I want a catrium so ma's kitties will be happier, I should start a gofundme too, right? Ok ok, I'll start one to feed em good food, that's doable, right??
I could use a new turntable for my stereo
Heyyy there ya go @JolietJake I can't believe people actually give others money to go to college or buy appliances, hmmm, maybe I could take some classes on building computers, that's one of those types of classes not granted to senior citizens, I guess they fear we'd become millionaires
That's downright crazy. You can get a nice, used one with a reasonable amount of miles on it for less than half that. Being a pastor doesn't exactly pay well, so to make ends meet my dad would find good used cars for people and they would pay him a little to do it (he started doing it for free, and then people just started to give him a couple hundred dollars each time) I've got a 2002 Honda CRV with 30,000 miles on it. And if you are a grumpy old man you are an adorable one.
I don't understand what they are doing...a $13,000 car is not a necessity
@ricki_911 (19241)
• Toronto, Ontario
Sounds like they expect it handed to them. Now yes insurance wont cover half of the cost. But they will get a few thousand and buy a car. Example if my car was destroyed today then i would buy a few thousand $2,000 from insurane even $5,000 loan. But many who start these accounts tend to have bad credit and noone will cosign. I wouldnt even blink an eye as i need a car to get to work.
Exactly, I would be buying something that was serviceable for my needs, not trying to get something more than what I need.
@ricki_911 (19241)
• Toronto, Ontario
@JolietJake Exactly! My view is if you get one you cant payoff reasonable and someone hit you or steals it then you have to still pay it.
And I shall join you in the land of grumpiness. I believe "gofundme" is terribly abused and misused.
@Gillygirl (17277)
• Sutton, England
GoFundMe makes me feel uncomfortable some how. I agree a smaller amount may have been acceptable. I knew someone who had her purse stolen from MacDonalds. She set a page up and shared it on FB. I did feel sorry for her so thought I would make a small donation. However she started to ask people to pay money directly into her PayPal account to avoid the percentage GoFundMe charge. It got too much so I didn't bother. A few months later she asked for money for something else.
People are getting ridiculous with their "begging" on the net.
@vandana7 (63522)
I have always wanted sustainable charities/help. I mean, it should be obligatory on the niece to fund some of the necessities of others through GoFundMe over her lifetime to that tune. Then the score is ok.
I just think it is ridiculous that they are starting one to pay for a car that costs that much. They could have got a perfectly good car for $5,000 or less, and I would have donated for that
@vandana7 (63522)
@JolietJake True, but donors would not know how much another person donated. So it should be obligatory on part of the one receiving to pay as much over a period, to different persons, clearing the entire debt. That way others also receive help, and these people would also have got what they want, and the chain would continue. What I am saying is, if A gets 100 then over a period he pays to B, C, D, E 25 each and clears the debt. Those B C D E would also get from others. Effectively, they would get more than what they need, and continue the chain.
@vandana7 You have the option to make your donation anonymous although many allow their names to show. I personally don't think they will get much, because they aren't trying to get something they need but something they simply want.
I'm pretty grumpy too especially when I hear about people using GoFundMe for a new lounge suite or whatever. Some people seem to need to take advantage of other's generosity, don't they?
Hell, I drive a 32 year old van I paid $500 for...been driving it since 2013 at least. I'd love to have something nicer, but if I can't afford it...and I don't really need it...I sure am not gonna embarrass myself asking people to help me get it.
@JolietJake I would NEVER ask for funds from something like GoFundMe for anything for myself. The only reason might be if an immediate family member needed help with medical issues but I can't really imagine doing that either.
@BarBaraPrz (19573)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Not as grumpy or as old as I am, and I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments.
Myself, I'd take the insurance money, pay off what I still owed on the wrecked car, and buy something relatively inexpensive for now.
@BarBaraPrz (19573)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@JolietJake But that makes too much sense for some people.
• Austin, Texas
Isn't a car something you really need? I think you are a grumpy old man.
Not a $13,000 car. A very good used car can be bought for $6,000
@gaianoor (1144)
• Tirana, Albania
Here tha doesn’t work
I've seen it work here (in the USA) but for people that actually needed help for something important. Having a car is important, having a $13,000 car is not important.
I agree that a GoFundMe should be used for things that you really need, such as medical expenses for a surgery that you have to have. And yes, 13,000? I think they are asking for a bit too much. You should be able to find a good working used vehicle for less than 6,000.
You could easily get a good car for $6,000 or less.
I checked yesterday by curiosity the GoFundMe site and they are not the only ones to open an account to buy a new car. I have checked several profiles, none of them got any money. I would not even accept this kind of funding.
@Srbageldog (8350)
Yeah, you can find used cars for way cheaper than that...although a lot of people ask for that crazy amount for their used (not even in good condition) vehicles out here. You just have to look around a bit to find a good deal and then jump on it before it's gone (at least here, in my town, anyway.) People seem to feel liberal in the amounts they ask for on GoFundMe, and they often start campaigns for non-essential things. (Cars, family vacations, weddings, etc.) Some seem to view it as a means to get rich quick, even.
The reasons people use gofundme are rediculous. I had a some family members, 3 working adults and 1 kids in a household. One person got let go due to physically not being able to perform the job. They offered to continue to pay her for the next month. She raised a huge stink on social media bashing the company's name and everything. So of course they withdrew the offer to continue to pay her. So they started a gofundme for $10000 to pay for "a month's worth of basic bills". Mind you the other two have jobs, they live in the cheapest apartment you can possibly find, and had a month to figure it out. So they are not that much in need.
I got a 2011 kia soul for $2800 and Tony got a Ford Ranger for $2600, For $13,000 I could buy a new car. No way I would donate, I got better sense.
@cttolledo (4106)
I agree. My pride can't take it if I were in their shoes. I can't beg money for a car because I can live without it.
@sallypup (26570)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Oh my that is one sorry car. Yeah I'd need something like shelter before I'd go on Go Fund Me and even then it would be hard for me to do cause I'm not good at begging.
• Northampton, England
they aint going to get 13 grand
No, they probably won't, and I should hope they don't. They have $35.00 so far.
• Northampton, England
@JolietJake they can buy your car then
@thedevilinme Almost...I want at least $50