BALLISTIC MISSILE HEADED YOUR WAY!

Pixabay image
What would you do if you received a message on your cellphone from the emergency services in your country, warning that a ballistic missile was headed your way? Well, that was the situation in Hawaii earlier today. The New York Times reports that residents of Hawaii were in a panic Saturday morning after receiving this message on their cellphones: BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. According to the report, residents were in panic for 40 minutes before the alert was canceled - State officials said it was human error. This made me think seriously about what would I do if I received such a message - and it was no error. What would I do? I honestly don't know. What would you do?
My friend in Hawaii was in tears . . . she posted it on FB. Her husband is in the military and not current at home, so she was freaking out (understandably!). How can such an error be made??!
I was wondering the same thing - they say it was not a computer error - someone pressed the wrong button.
@Kandae11 I was thinking of the older folks - I hope no one was injured or had a heart attack over such an alert! Seriously, that was a bad error!
@much2say I am not prepared for such an event - and I seriously believe everyone should start planning an escape route.Someone could in error press the button and actually send a missile off.
This is why I want an underground bunker/ root cellar.
I know you will be okay for food. Yes, underground would be the safest I think .
@Daelii (2615)
Me too!
@Mshafeeq (428)
• Bangalore, India
@Kandae yes me too
• Portland, Connecticut
I would not have known what to do since I am not familiar with security routines in this area where we are now. At home in Connecticut, we would have received info on where to go..
I have no idea where I would go.
• Portland, Connecticut
It's a pretty serious mistake to have made. I'm sure there were many who were panicking.
Everyone will be more aware of the possibility now.
@Kandae11 So I guess that is a good thing in a way. A scary way to have it thrust on the people like that though.
@UncleJoe (8983)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I would run to the nearest school and hide under a wooden desk. I learned that in elementary school for atomic attacks.
As simple as that?
@Bluedoll (17183)
Did you manage to kiss your backside? We all tried but no one could do it but a lot of kids giggled trying.
I would totally panic for sure.
I might have a heart attack. I am just wondering what sort of shelter one would seek.
• Jalandhar, India
Better not to panic in these situations as we cannot do anything even if it's heading our way
I think everyone should make a plan in the event things like these actually occur.
• Jalandhar, India
@Kandae11 what could be the plan ?
@thesupersingh All family members should decide on a place to shelter together in the event of that happening, If possible, one should always keep an emergency store of canned and other non-perishable foods, first-aid kit and one's prescription medicines. I live in the path of hurricanes so we are always given emergency advice.
I would get down on my knees and pray. I'm no longer a slave to fear, not afraid to die or anything so I would just get in my happy place-with God. =)
I am not afraid of dying, but there are still things I would like to do before I pass on. Therefore I would pray that the missile is destroyed before it makes contact.
@Kandae11 I didnt say what I would pray for! I would like more time with my family too.
@LovingMyBabies I know what you meant.
I was sick when I heard this on the radio and am not listening to the news anymore. I don't live near Hawaii but am still worried so trying to avoid the situation
No point in worrying yourself sick. My plan is to make a plan about a place of refuge in the event something like that really happens.
@Kandae11 I am trying to not think of it at this point. I can't handle such things. I am trying to ignore it ever happened.
@aureliah (5610)
I have no idead what I would do. Where do you take shelter seriously?
Something to seriously think about.
@aureliah (5610)
That is a scary emergency text message. I would not know what to do. When we had a major wildfires years ago, we got a reverse call accidentally telling us to evacuate. We did, but then they called back a couple hours saying our area does not need to evacuate it was an accident call.
Human error can result in a lot of damage.
@Kandae11 it sure can. I also read some people were putting their kids in the sewer
@Gillygirl (15678)
• Sutton, England
When I was a kid there were several programs about what to do in the event of nuclear attacks. I would hide in an underground train station It must have been terrifying for the residents of Hawaii.
Yes indeed, underground stations were well utilised during World War ll.
@nanette64 (14529)
• Fairfield, Texas
The words, "Oh, sh*t" come to mind @Kandae11 . Unless people know where there is a shelter within the area where they are at, the confusion and panic would kill people quicker than the bomb drop. I don't even know if there are public bomb shelters any more. I guess an underground parking garage would work for some. For me out here in the country, I'd get a close up of its traveling journey.
The way things are in the world today, we should seriously consider a hiding place.
@nanette64 (14529)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Kandae11 If I had the money, you can bet there'd be a railroad container below ground in my back yard with all the goodies in it.
@nanette64 Great idea! - with lots of books and magazines.
@topffer (31183)
• France
I am surprised that one can send such a message by error. Real-time exercise to check the reaction of the population ?
From what I have read - they do conduct drills periodically, but not like that. In any event, not many residents seemed to know what to do to protect themselves.
@topffer (31183)
• France
@Kandae11 It can be a way to evaluate the percentage of human damages done by a missile attack. Come on, if it was an error, there was a way to cancel it immediately by sending another message, the army/emergency services do not use BS software... And I suppose you need the higher level of access to send it.
@topffer (31183)
• France
@Kandae11 I have these kind of government/civil security advices on my phone. I never received one, but if I receive one I will take it very seriously. It reminds me that when I was put in the reserve army after my military service, I was in this case the guy staying outdoors to tell to people "run to the shelters"
• Northampton, England
I would grab the nearest beautiful woman, kiss her deeply, and hide behind a VOLVO
You might get slapped or worse. Why a Volvo?
• Northampton, England
@Kandae11 I like my women as sturdy as the Volvo
@Daelii (2615)
Oh lord. I really don't know! We dont have a bomb shelter. Most dont. It wasn't a concern... Until now with #45 ignorant in office with no knowledge of political policy. He has shelter and so does his rich friends. That wall he wants won't protect anyone. :(
• Haiti
#45 smashed ISIS to its deathbed! #45 is rocking the US economy through new records almost every day! This was a state error which happens to be one of your liberal states. No reason to blame Mr Trump here
I think it is time that Governments should think of erecting bomb shelters -- just in case.
@Daelii (2615)
@556769 I didn't say #45 hit a wrong button. We all know when it is time for the military to do operations he can't stomach it so hes out of the room on twitter.
@Butchcass4 (5818)
I would PRAY! I would make sure I was right with the Lord so I know I'm going to heaven. John 3:16 says; "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish (go to hell) but have eternal life. Do you know Jesus as your Savior? He's the only one who can save you from an eternal life in hell. He loves you so much, He gave His life willingly on the cross because He wants you to spend eternity with Him and He wants you to have a relationship with Him now. We have no guarantee that there will be a tomorrow but there is a guarantee where you'll spend eternity either heaven or hell, which will it be? Only you know the answer to that! I pray you'll open your heart today and ask Jesus to forgive you your sins and invite Him into your heart.
I did that some time ago so I am not worried about where I'll be going when I die- just that I have unfinished business and I am not quite ready to leave yet. However, I am well aware that the choice is not mine.
@Kandae11 What do you mean by "you are well aware that the choice is not yours"?
@Butchcass4 The matter of dying or when I die.
@moffittjc (36660)
• Gainesville, Florida
It does make you think...I'm sure most people have no plans for escape or for seeking shelter. I will admit, I wouldn't necessarily know what to do if there was an incoming missile to my area, but now it gives me reason to think about it and think of a plan. One thing is for sure though, I would remain calm and not panic. When you start to panic you cannot think clearly.
Panic usually compounds the problem even more. I can't say how cool I would remain in the face of something like that.
@moffittjc (36660)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Kandae11 Yeah, it's much easier to say I would stay calm, when I'm sitting here nice and calm at the moment. It might be a completely different story if it were the real thing! But I can say, based on experience, I generally do remain calm and not panic in emergency situations. Someone has to remain level-headed, and I figured it might as well be me! lol
@Shiva49 (10544)
No point in hiding under the cot or running to open ground. I can do very little and that is what the Japanese were wondering after North Korea was firing many missiles over them - siva
I think everyone should think seriously about the situation and plan strategies - just in case something like that actually happens.
@Shiva49 (10544)
@Kandae11 I wish the world leaders understood the dangers inherent in pursuing a certain path of humongous destruction. Where there is a will, there's a way - siva
@Mshafeeq (428)
• Bangalore, India
In such a situation your mind doesn't work for a minute or so. But have to act fast before that ballistic missile hit.
That's why we should make plans even before such a thing happens.
@Mshafeeq (428)
• Bangalore, India
@Kandae11 should always have plan b working.