Its a Soup-er Night

Good evening everyone. Its still awfully cold here in Southern Ontario, Canada. Its winter afterall, so it is to be expected. But it gets old, and you need to stay healthy. We were out and about a fair bit in the cold today. So when I asked my husband what he'd like me to make for supper, he paused and told me that he wasn't very hungry. So I suggested soup. Chicken slider soup. Now for those of you who aren't familiar with the slider in the title of the soup, its basically tiny little biscuit dough that is dropped into the soup and allowed to cook up. As opposed to noodles, these are the starch of the soup. And I have to say, even though I cut a corner by using a canister of pre-made biscuits from the grocery store the end result was just delicious. I do love it when i can cut corners here and there and still enjoy a pretty good dish. Have you ever had chicken slider soup? ~Photo is a bowl of the soup that I made
No never had it. Cute plates! And glad you enjoyed dinner.
Thanks. My everyday dishes are so old. I was only in my 20's when my husband bought them for me. That makes them around 25 years old. The dish in the background, with the brown on it, they are older. I actually bought myself a set of 8 of those before we were married, I put it into my hope chest. There are only 2 bowls and 1 plate left from that set-the rest all got broken.
@Juliaacv we still have things from my childhood. Its hard to throw away or donate
The plates and bowls are really pretty.
It looks really yummy
It sure does.
Thanks, it tasted good too. I'm not the best at having such great results the very first time that I make a soup, usually it takes a few times to tweak the recipe, but not last night.
That looks so nice. I always like soup and especially so on a cold day.
It was so very satisfying, we both enjoyed it. We are trying to eat lighter, less big meals.
@Juliaacv We have our main meal at night but our other meals are small.
No I never made it like that but I have made chicken and dumplings but its thick and not to soupy
We've had chicken and dumplings, but the dumplings are more of a side dish and not a soup. I enjoyed the soup, it was just a first try, but he really enjoyed it and so did I. There isn't a lot left to reheat for lunches for next week.
Is that dish the same as chicken and dumplings/chicken and pastry? Nice title, by the way
Thanks. No it was a soup. So the chicken was cut up into smaller pieces and the sliders are mini versions of the dumplings that I think that you're thinking of.
@Elizaby (3972)
• Pensacola, Florida
Here that type of slider is called dumplings. Many Northners get surprise ordering chicken and dumplings here and see what Y'all call sliders as your dumplings are more ball shaped
Some call them dumplings here as well. The smaller ones are better known as sliders. Are your dumplings basically biscuits as far as shape and maybe a little smaller in size?
No, I never have. I've only ever had it with noodles in it. My grandmother made the best homemade chicken soup. That was before I knew I was allergic to chicken.
You're allergic to chicken? That must be awful, I feel that it is such a go-to food to serve or have served to you in so many different instances.
@Juliaacv I've gotten used to it. I can do the same with turkey as with chicken.
@just4him Yes, that would be the most logical and closest alternative. The only difference would be that chicken is so easy to buy, hopefully turkey is also.
I never had, but your soup looks delicious.
Thank you Anna. It was a last minute decision to make it, and we both enjoyed it. There isn't a lot left to reheat during the workweek.
@Juliaacv It is still warm here, the announced snow did not come.
@LadyDuck Oh how nice for you. This winter has really been an adjustment for my husband and I as we have never lived anywhere where so much snow falls. We don't like that, and are hoping to return to the area that we used to live in when we retire.
I have been thinking of making chicken soup lately because it is also winter here.
Its so good and it reheats well, so if you don't eat it all at one sitting you can have some on another day.
@Juliaacv I make it for my Sabbath.
@UncleJoe (10869)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I make a different variation of chicken soup. I add frozen mixed veggies, chopped red and green Bell peppers, celery and freshly cut carrots. When that's all done I mix in egg noodles and a little elbow macaroni. The only seasoning is Mrs.Dash Original, Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb, and a few shakes of garlic powder.
That sounds delicious. Making soup is so much fun as you can be so creative and add everything that you really like.
@LeaPea2417 (21997)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That looks so tasty!
Thanks, it was really delicious.
Don't think that I've ever had that before.
It was a nice hearty soup, I'll have to make it again some time.
It is very cold here and the thought of a nice bowl of soup is very appealing on so many levels.
Its cold here also, and I think that was why the soup went over so well.
I had never heard of chicken slider soup before.
Now ya have
It sounds like mini chicken and dumplings, and looks really good.
That's really what it is but with a broth. It was delicious.
@sallypup (28509)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That's a new one on me. I have made dumplings and dumped them onto the top of stew, though.
This was good, we enjoyed it.
No I have never heard of chicken slider soup before. But it looks really good.
Thanks, it tasted good. I usually don't have the best results the first time I make a soup recipe, usually I have to tweak it, but last night it was fine.
@sueznewz2 (10141)
• Alicante, Spain
That sounds & looks lovely ... good idea too
Your soup sure looks appetizing to me.