I heard a disturbing sound

downed branches
Marion, Kansas
The other day when school was cancelled we had lots of ice and sleet and wind. ALLLLL Day we had wind. In the afternoon I heard a sound. It sounded like a branch had hit the roof and slid off. I thought nothing more about it. When hubby got home, I mentioned it to him. I had not been out all day, and I did not go out that evening. He said yes, a branch from the cedar tree had come off and slid on the roof. Hubby did not say A BRANCH that was about a fourth of the tree broke off. You can see it in the picture. I did not see it until I went out to go to work the next day. On a warm day we will probably hook a rope to it and drag it down the hill to the shed so hubby can cut it up for fire wood. We will burn it in our fire pit. We plan to get the cedars removed anyway, because they are full of bag worms. Oak mites live in them in the summer as well. It is just time for a change.. We want to replace them with something like chestnut trees, perhaps. So I was not imagining things. I did hear a branch hit the roof.
@sallypup (23204)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Thank God you are okay and the branches did not break through your house's roof.
• Marion, Kansas
Very thankful about that, although I dreamed about roof damage last night after posting this. It was someplace else though. I have had roof damage once since moving here and had a local handy man fix it.
one of my neighbor's big birches has been making noises i don't like lately. i won't even walk under it anymore.
• Marion, Kansas
Unless I am mistaken, birch is pretty brittle. You are wise to take care. Is it endangering your house?
@GardenGerty it would depend how it fell.i think that one would have to twist while falling to hit us.but he's got 5 others.
Hopefully it didn’t damage your roof.
• Marion, Kansas
It does not seem to have. May have slid down on the ice. I do have a handyman who would fix it for a reasonable price. It would have been our bedroom roof that got damaged.
@Srbageldog (6454)
Wow, that branch is huge!
• Marion, Kansas
It is. Actually, it may have split off the trunk.
@GardenGerty Wow. Good thing it didn't crash through your house!
It's good it wasn't bigger or it might have done some damage.
• Marion, Kansas
Actually it was the biggest branch on this tree. My pictures do not do it justice. With it being cedar, though, the softer parts of the tree may have been all that hit the roof.
@GardenGerty We had a tree come down on our old Merc but when we cut it up to get it off it must have fallen slowly and the weight squashed the car down a bit but there wasn't a scratch on it - just the emblem was bent a little.
Oh wow thats a huge branch.
• Marion, Kansas
It is, I was so surprised when I saw it.
@GardenGerty i wouldve been too
I want walnut, chestnut, pecans an hazelnuts.
• Marion, Kansas
Chestnut trees grow pretty fast I am told. We went to some agriforestry events and learned about them. I like to have all my landscaping be productive.
Oh wow that's a good size branch.
• Marion, Kansas
Yep, huge. In the spring that tree and the one like it on the other side are going to come out. I will plant things further out from the house.
@Ithink (7697)
Just a branch huh? lol Sure hope it didn't do any structural damage.
• Marion, Kansas
I think the soft parts hit the roof, and that is why it did not sound very loud. I do not see any damage so far. We will have to get busy and clear it away.
@Ithink (7697)
14h
@GardenGerty Glad it did no damage. We have to clean up to, luckily ours only came down in the yard.
It sounds and looks like a large branch so I'm glad it didn't do damage.
• Marion, Kansas
It is huge, but yes, it is a relief that only the ends of it seem to have brushed down our roof.
@louievill (16578)
I hope there would be no costly roof repairs, good thing nobody got hurt or something.
• Marion, Kansas
It did not hurt the roof at all. It landed on the bed of a pickup truck that hubby needs to work on. No glass damage either.
• Jalandhar, India
Glad everything is fine and you'll utilize that broken branch of the tree. Do you have many such trees nearby?
• Marion, Kansas
There is one at each side of the front of our house. I have been wanting to have them taken out and will do so this spring.
@BarBaraPrz (17946)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I had one-third of a trifurcated tree take a bite out of my garage in the last place I lived. One limb landed in the yard of the other end-unit (good thing the girls weren't playing in the yard) and the third limb fell into the alley. The first one also took out a garden shed in its own yard, and the one that bit my garage also knocked down part of my neighbor's fence on the other side. Not nice.