USA and Canada freezing cold, Australia hot hot hot!

Netherlands
I just read this and my jaw dropped: While parts of Australia have experienced 47.3 Celsius weather. Temperatures in the Big Apple reached a record low for the city. A bomb cyclone dumped snow as far south as Florida the Sunshine State and all across the east coast in the first weekend of this year. Cars were frozen in flood water in Massachusetts. Parts of the United States and Canada felt as cold as -67 Celsius on Friday night. Meanwhile Australia is dealing with the opposite problem. Sydney has experienced its hottest weather in almost 8 decades. There have even been reports that roads are melting.
It is summer in Australia and winter in North America so naturally it is hot down under and cold in US and Canada.
• Netherlands
That's very true John. However, I did not expect both North America and Australia to reach record temperatures all of the sudden. 47.3C in Australia. -67C in some parts of the US and Canada. Jeez!
@caopaopao (6739)
@Bullshark The temperature difference is really too big.
• Netherlands
@caopaopao Yeah, it was, wasn't it? Crazy!
That's because Australia experiences their summer when North America experiences their winter season.
• Netherlands
Yes @Juliaacv true indeed. However, I did not expect both North America and Australia to reach record temperatures all of the sudden. 47.3C Down Under. -67C in some parts of the United States and Canada. That's something worth mentioning, don't you think?
@Bullshark Um...and where are you hearing it reached - 88 F? That might have been with a strong wind chill, but that has not been the actual temperature.
@Bullshark These are the coldest temps ever recorded (in F) in the 50 states
If the temperatures in parts of the country right now make you shiver, check out these historic lows!
It is outrageous! I'm sure climate change has something to do with this mess.
• Netherlands
If so, it would be bad news for all of us.
@Bullshark I agree!
@PainsOnSlate (20235)
I live in Canada and could stand a bit warmer weather. Yesterday was a mess, so far today its cold but not snowing and no freezing rain...
• Netherlands
Hi @PainsOnSlate! Today is not over yet, so don't jinx it. Haha... I just did some research on the coldest places in Canada. According to Reader's Digest, the coldest places in the 'Great White North" are: Val-d'Or, Vancouver, Yellowknife, Calgary, Toronto, Lakelse Lake and Ottawa. What's your take on this?
@Bullshark I'm right across the lake from Toronto they are north so they are a bit colder than I am, two of my children live near Ottawa and its much worse there - more snow and more cold.
Climate change in action!
• Netherlands
Hi @snowy22315! Convince the US president to take action. Green-PEACE out!
@aureliah (14842)
Wow thats tragic. Africa is like Australia. Its hot hot hot.
• Netherlands
Yes it definitely is. I wish I were in Australia right now. Haha...
We had a couple of hot days in Western Australia too but nothing like 47 thank goodness.
yeah weather is complete opposite in different parts of the world
@sprite1950 (12744)
• Corsham, England
We are having a heatwave in the UK at the moment which makes a lovely change. We get so much rain normally. I'm going on vacation on Friday so I hope it holds out. I don't know if I could stand the intense heat of Australia all the time though as I'm very fair skinned and prolonged heat can make me feel ill.
• Netherlands
You take care, alright? Have a great time on your vacation!
@sprite1950 (12744)
• Corsham, England
@Bullshark I will thank you.
• Netherlands
@lynnief (1118)
Mercifully 47.3 is a rarity. Mostly our highest temps are in the mid to high 30s, occasionally the low 40s. The highest I have personally experienced was the day of the Black Saturday bush fires in 2009, when it hit 44C (that's around 111F.) Not something I want to experience again, for more than one reason.
@lynnief (1118)
@Bullshark Unfortunately bush fires are quite a regular happening here, so much so that summer is regularly referred to as "fire season" and brings regular warnings from the fire authorities. The town where I lived at the time had a major fire the week before Black Saturday.
hello welcome to mylot. i understand youre grief about youre cold weather. its also a bit cold here now in the philippines but we seldom have this refreshing air so im happy and enjoying it now. by march its back to super hot
• Netherlands
It's the same here in the Netherlands. March is when the temperature rises...
@Bullshark i see. Thanks for sharing
@rubyriaz007 (3389)
Here in India also it is very hot. Can't bear the heat at all. It makes me very much tired. I really hate this weather.
• Netherlands
Yeah, too much heat can tire people out, that's not good. But despite of this, I would choose the heat over the cold any day... :)
@Starmaiden (4933)
• Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
It was somewhat like this last Autumn also. October on the Atlantic coast of Canada saw temperatures in the high teens, 18°Celcius or 64° Fahrenheit. Beach weather in Canada.
• Netherlands
That's well above normal. Oh wow...
It is climate change that our President does not believe in.
• Netherlands
I hear ya, Judy. I'm wondering what it would take to change his mind on the matter...
I think I’d love a temperature in between there somewhere. Cars frozen in flood water that froze wow that’s crazy!
• Netherlands
Yeah, it is crazy. Mother Nature needs to make up her mind...
• Trinidad And Tobago
Signs of the times we are living in. My country seems to be doing well.
• Netherlands
That's good to hear :)
@Shiva49 (12577)
Extremes of temperatures at both places due to climate change - siva
Welcome to myLot. Enjoy the site! The first step for all newbies is to read the Guidelines to learn what is allowed or not on the site. Then you can write a post introducing yourself. Tell us a bit about yourself. Furthermore, read around as much as you can, Like and Comment on other members' posts. Only then will members come to your site and do the same. This is called interaction. Don't expect too much money-wise. If you reach $5 a month (the payout limit), you can call yourself lucky. Please add the name of your country to your account page.
Have questions about myLot? Help is here!
• Netherlands
First thing I did was read the guidelines. I'm starting to get used to the site and I'm getting the hang of things around here. Feeling comfortable. Thanks.
@Bullshark That's good to hear.
All those weather are scary.
• Netherlands
I know it can be scary sometimes. But it is what it is @marlina
@Bullshark We can't do much about it.
• Portland, Connecticut
These days records are broken almost every month of the year.