Life is going great! I am going to be volunteering!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I have talked about my peer counselor, Jamie, in the past. I love Jamie so much. Jamie and I talked about me volunteering someplace in December, and she came to my house last Thursday. She came bearing good news! She called my local library because she knows it is my favorite place in the world and they need volunteers. So I am going with Jamie who will take me and volunteer a few tines with me as she wants me to be comfortable. Then I will take the bus and volunteer on my own! Jamie said the head of the library was thrilled as they needed volunteers. I will probably stuff envelopes for them and some other things, I will do anything as I am so happy and super excited !!! Jamie says there will always be somebody nearby to give any assistance I may need in doing something. Jamie is driving us Thursday to the library where i have to sign some paperwork at 2:30 in the afternoon and I can hardly wait! Life is finally going right for me! With this and having my kitten Onyx, I could not be happier! Do you volunteer anyplace or wish to volunteer? where would be the perfect place you would love to volunteer?
@Nawsheen (22958)
• Mauritius
That's interesting. I have volunteered several times in the past and I can say that this is a different experience. You get to learn about many things, meet new people and make new friends.
I will meet new people, so that makes me excited!Thank you for telling me that point which is something i never thought about but like the idea!
Volunteering at the library sounds very exciting and that's a place I'd love to work. It's nice to see you so happy
I agree it does sound exciting! I can hardly wait to start! It will also get me to read more as I will be going more frequently to it so that I will read the two or three books i borrow at a time and return them more often. o that means the library will help me by getting me to read more!
I volunteered this past spring for roadside cleanup. It was first time I was able to do it. Now that my kids are a little bit older I can do things now and then. I hope you love volunteering at the library!
My sister and her husband do a lot of park cleanups with my nephew for the Boy Scout because he is a member of the group. I don't know if they ever did roadside cleanups. I do know that they do a lot of cleanups and my brother in law is so upset with some of the things people leave behind. Thank you for the hope that I love volunteering at the library! The people I know who work there are super sweet so I think i should love it!
@Marty1 I wish I could work at a library I would love that job!
@shaggin it is my ultimate dream to one day be a librarian! Especialy if I never get that Ph.D. in Literature. That would be the best job in the world!
for me it is at my health club.Tennis where I play.I do volunteer working out with the elderly.Been doing this for years.
that is super you do that! i really admire you!
@Marty1 thank you and good luck there with the job at the library.
@amadeo thank you! I think going to the library will be a super experience for me and I am really looking forward to it!
That’s great hope you have a good time volunteering. I used to volunteer when I was in high school :)
Thank you for the kind words! What kind of volunteering did you do in high school? Did you enjoy that volunteering?
@Marty1 We had to volunteer for credit to graduate, but turns out even if you didn't - you were able to graduate anyway. I did volunteering at homeless shelters - serving food, beach clean up, summer school work at the office at my high school (front desk), chinese new year events , lots of random stuff over 50+ hours.
@infatuatedbby that is super! I think they said you could not graduate and let those who didn't graduate to motivate the students to do some volunteering. Homeless shelters are great places to volunteer. i don't know if my town has a place where i can get there by bus. I would like maybe one day in the future to do something similar
What a great news Jennifer, I am so glad you are going to volunteer at the library. I am sure that Onyx is proud of you.
Onyx is very happy for me since he knows how much I love the place. It also means I get there more often and bring home more books for him to read as he is a super voracious reader and reads 8-10 books a day! He loves reading more than anything.
@Marty1 Wow, little Onyx loves reading.
@LadyDuck it is his favorite thing to do ever! he often gets up to read at 5 am and reads while napping as he can't get enough books to read!
@ridingbet (59691)
if i am not ill, i would love to volunteer in some blood-letting activities. i miss inserting an intravenous needle.
What kind of things are bloodletting activities? I hope you are feeling better soon. I am sure you will be inserting an intravenous soon. In the meantime take care of yourself your students need you as you are such a dedicated nurse
@ridingbet (59691)
@Marty1 thanks. by bloodletting activities, we have to insert a gauge 18 needle in to a vein of a blood donor while letting him squeeze a rubber ball. also, some can ask the personal profile of the possible blood donors and subject them to tests like HIV, AIDS, and other diseases that are transmitted by transfusions.
@ridingbet Oh, I am glad you like doing those things and hope you get to do them soon. I am afraid i would not be able to do it I think as when I get blood tests when I see a needle i get nauseous. So I am so happy you can do it!
@WorDazza (10091)
• Manchester, England
When I retire in a couple of years I want to volunteer at my local dog rescue centre. Although I suspect I might end up with about 20 dogs at home!!!
Ahh, I think I would do the Same thing! If I could go work at a shelter i would volunteer at the shelter my kitten let me adopt him from, and they have dogs, cats, and bunnies.They had two hamsters once that turned into 18 hamsters, so they stick to the basics now. I didn't know then that hamster multiply as fast as bunnies !!! I would have a houseful of dogs, cats, and bunnies and that may be a reason nobody suggests i volunteer at a shelter?
@WorDazza (10091)
• Manchester, England
@Marty1 And that's exactly why i wouldn't let my wife volunteer at an animal shelter. Our house would become the animal shelter!!
@WorDazza samehere! But luckily at least the shelter i adopted a kitten from last September they had to have my sisters permission since they looked up my house and found she owns it so she had to tell them she allows me to get a kitten or kittens as my sister was going to let me adopt two kittens who were a pair until the counselor brought in my kitten and we both knew he was the one
I was always working and never have volunteered much. It is a nice feeling to do something like this. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.
I think I will enjoy myself as I am good friends with most of the people at the library and I love the place!
@Marty1 ......And visitors will see that. Should be fun for you.
@celticeagle i am sure it will be the best experience of my life!
Well, congratulations to you it should also be a fun and learning experience. I have volunteered at a hospital years ago when I went to university.
I think it will be a wonderful time! did you enjoy volunteering at the hospital?
@Marty1 yes, I did I was in the Delivery department and those babies were so cute.
@RasmaSandra that must have been a super place to volunteer! Glad you had the opportunity!
@Spontaneo (1662)
I volunteer on Sparkpeople.com (a fitness & nutrition website) as a Sparkteam leader. Good luck!
That is good as health is so important thing for people to have. Good for you!
@Spontaneo (1662)
@Marty1 Thank you!
I'm excited for you. I hope it works out perfect for you. I've done volunteer work in a hospital many years ago. Now I'm content to stay home, happily retired and write. Who knows, maybe one day you'll see my books in your library.
I hope to see your books in the library too! I am sure it is a matter of a short time! I am hoping it helps me but not sure it will be perfect but refuse to think that it won't be great ! I feel positive!
@Marty1 You should feel positive. Just keep that happy smile on your face and you'll do great!
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
I love volunteering, and the euphoric feeling it brings knowing that I am helping people. One of my favorite things to volunteer for are park cleanups in our city. My daughter also likes to volunteer at the local animal shelter as well. I hope you have fun volunteering at the library!
My sister and her husband volunteer along with my nephew at area parks for the Boy Scouts where my nephew is a Boy Scout. They are appalled at what some people dump in the parks. Good for you and your daughter doing volunteer work
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marty1 We've got a big citywide park cleanup coming up next weekend. Over a thousand volunteers will descend upon all our parks to clean them up and remove trash. It's crazy how much garbage the volunteers find in our parks. What makes people stupid enough to throw trash in a beautiful park? Don't people have any dignity anymore?
@dya80dya (5580)
I vounteered in a hospital. I like to help people or animals. I met new people. It was a good experience.
An excellent place to volunteer. Hospitals need the extra help of volunteers. are you still volunteering? Have you ever volunteered for animals as you mentioned that animals are something with which you would like to volunteer?
@averygirl72 (16617)
It feel so good to volunteer. Wish I can find one here in my place too.
Have you ever volunteered before?if uou have a library near you, maybe consider vounteering at it?i hope you find a place you feel at home in the place to volunteer!
I would like to volunteer helping underprivileged kids.
That is a thing to want to volunteer. Do you think you ever will in the future? I would love to volunteer at an animal shelter but would not be able to take a bus to one, so will go for the second best one!
@HiJerry (154)
• Suzhou, China
Enjoy a wonderful time.
thank you!
That is wonderful news. I'm sure you'll love helping out at the library. There are always plenty of opportunities to volunteer. I used to help out in the Red Cross thrift shop but don't at the moment.
That was a great place to volunteer as the Red Cross is a super organization. I don't think they have one around my area. I know Goodwill has one, but it is quite far to go to it.
Congratulations for all the progress that you have made in the last 6 months. I used to do volunteering by doing fundraising for different NGO. Loved it, but had to stop due to health problems.
Thank you! I am not sure I have really made much progress but I do feel different. I am sorry you had to stop as it was a good thing you were doing
Good for you and in a place you love.
Yes it is a place I love more than any other place