Truth is Stranger Than Fiction....New Dentures

@Morleyhunt (20283)
My father is in a nursing home. He has been living there for two months. One of the services we could access was a denturist. We felt this was necessary as my father has had his dentures for 30 years. No adjustments have ever been made and he keeps losing them....they fall out from time to time. It sounds much funnier than it is (I'll laugh about this someday!) The denturist came to see him....for a consultation and we asked if we could get an estimate on what new dentures would entail....time and cost. A week later, the home called to say that the denturist would be in that day....I was there until lunch time...no denturist appeared and I went home.... Later that same day, the denturist did come to see him ( as he was sitting down to lunch) and took an impression....my sister received an invoice for almost $3,000. She thought at first it was an estimate and called them (after hours) and told them to hold off on the new dentures so we could discuss how to proceed, The next morning...a phone call told her that the dentures were already being made...we could not cancel them..... Less than a week later the denturist showed up (again at lunch time), shoved the new teeth into his mouth and when he said they hurt.....they told him he would get used to them. Two days later he wasn't wearing his new teeth or his old teeth because of pain.... Today....he was away at an outing and when he returned the nurse informed him that the denturist had been in and made the adjustments to his teeth. How is any of this possible? I have dentures. It took several weeks(months) with multiple impressions and fittings before the new teeth were fine tuned. This sounds like the ultimate money grab....tomorrow I will be looking into this.
@UncleJoe (10615)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
If that happened to me, the "denturist" would be needing to make a set for himself.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
I'd be inclined to agree...but you are talking about a feeble old man....who is hard to understand at the best of times....who is confused many times and lies (I'd say through his teeth, but....well...) when he thinks it might benefit him.
@UncleJoe (10615)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Morleyhunt Well that certainly would make it easier than if the denturist was young and strong.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
I would most certain call and tell them if they do not fix his dentures you will turn him into the state board for dentist, whatever they call that. That your father being in pain is unacceptable.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
I will find out where I need to go to pursue this matter. I might call a friend who is a lawyer and find out what his take is on it. He has been helpful in the past.
That does sound like a money grab. I hope you did not pay for them up front.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
Oh...they are paid for...they needed a credit card number before they would even visit dad. I will be rattling a few cages tomorrow....my sister will also be making a few phone calls.
That's just plain crazy I hope that you can get to the bottom of it.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
We are shaking our collective heads. We can't all just drop everything to look into this...but it looks like someone might need to pursue this from a legal standpoint.
I feel angry reading this I feel your father was taken advtange of because you can't be around 24-7 to make sure people treat him fairly like he deserves!
@Morleyhunt (20283)
You aren't the only one....it makes me angry to think of how many others they mig be scamming as well.
Sounds very fishy to me too. A bit like the hearing aid specialist my brother-in-law saw when he wasn't happy with his hearing aids. She clapped her hands, asked if he could hear it and, when he said yes, then said there wasn't anything wrong with them. The mind boggles. They really take people for fools sometimes.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
This just doesn't sound like it's legit. It I made this story up most would not believe me....there will be a sequel later today!
@Morleyhunt I agree completely. I think the guy is trying to dupe your father.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
@JudyEv but my momma didn't raise no fools....we aren't going to let them get away with this.
This sound a lot like a scam, I wonder if he used dentures made for someone else. Investigate about this matter.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
I can't understand how they can produce dentures this quickly and then adjust them without him even being there.
@Morleyhunt This is absolutely not possible.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
@LadyDuck that's my feelings exactly. I have dentures...I know what is involved in getting a good fit.
@yugocean (8780)
This has becoming money making instead of dental service.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
It sure sounds like a money grab...but we'll wait until we have all the information.
@yugocean (8780)
@Morleyhunt Better if people inform others and give reputation to hospitals/clinics/nursing homes.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
@yugocean we are looking into the matter. They know we aren't happy with how this has been handled.
@Platespinner (17045)
It may be the result of being in the USA for too long, but I'd seriously consider taking this is with a lawyer. Or at least with a patient or senior citizen advocate. The more I've heard about the denture bit the more scammy it sounds. How the BLEEP do you adjust the fit if the dentures without seeing/talking to the patient involved? If the services are provided (ie approved) by the nursing home, can you take it up with nursing home management? I somehow suspect that they would not approve of seniors being scammed with their apparent consent.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
You can bet I will be pursuing this today. Our eldest sister is also starting to get annoyed enough to start rattling some cages.
@Morleyhunt hopefully between the two of you the situation can be sorted. I'd offer to come, but I'm not sure I'd be able to get out of the street (daughter and I just watched a neighbour in a pickup try and fail to leave the neighbourhood).
@Morleyhunt (20283)
@Platespinner the weather isn't so pretty here either. Snowing...blowing....but I also have an appointment inBurlington for 1 PM....so I'm off in about 45 minutes and I will just take it slow!
They went too far! I bet they didn't begin to make the the dentures when your sister informed them about holding off on the new dentures.Leaving aside it,at that price,you should get your money's worth, however the dentures are roughly made to such an extent that your father totally couldn't wear them !
@Morleyhunt (20283)
I will be visiting my fathe today. I will try to get his perspective and then take it up with staff. You can expect an update later today...
@Morleyhunt Hope thing will work out fine!
@Morleyhunt (20283)
@changjiangzhibin89 we are certainly hoping so.
Something sounds fishy there I would be getting to the bottom of this too. Who authorized the denturist to go thru with making them, it doesn't sound like anyone did.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
Apparently our asking the denturist to give us an estimate was taken as approval to proceed. Not in by book!
@Morleyhunt That's very unethical and underhanded.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
@Juliaacv we are going to shine a very bright light on their underhanded practice.
@tallawah (9085)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Don't pay. Let them sue you. They won't. Because they will lose.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
They had my sisters credit card information and charged it to her card. We are in contact with then "College of Denturists" and they are pursuing the matter, My father passed away a week after that non-fitting.
@tallawah (9085)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@Morleyhunt This is really disgusting. Get legal advice.
@bagarad (12653)
• Paso Robles, California
I can't help but wonder what sort of kickback the home gets on these dentures. Sounds like a scam to me.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
The home gets nothing...now they are also looking into this. Is this an isolated incident? Or ongoing?
@bagarad (12653)
• Paso Robles, California
@Morleyhunt It would be interesting to find out.
That's awful, I hope you are able to sort things out.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
I will be postings today's findings later this evening. I need to finish processing...watch for Adventures in Dentures!
@Morleyhunt Should be interesting.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
What a crock @Morleyhunt . I'd be tearing them a new one. I hate my dentures and had to pay out of pocket because my insurance wouldn't even cover the extractions. $190 per tooth for removal (10) plus $1200 for the bottom denture alone.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
I've worn dentures for almost 40 years. It's not the cost, but the shoddy treatment that is an issue. I will be posting a new discussion shortly with an update on whT I learned today.
You should talk to the person who called this denturist and tell them that you have the suspicion that the whole procedure is not kosher. They should not invite this person again. Then there may be a place where you can complain officially. In Germany, this would be possible. You can also contact a dentist you know and ask how to proceed. The question is if you should pay the price at all.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
We are pursuing it. I've spoken to staff....an update should be posted shortly.
Yes ..sounds like money grab . I had never visited any denturist . I hope you are well there.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
I'll find out later today what course of action we need to take.
@Telynor (1325)
Do look into that. It does sound someone is trying to pull a fast one there. It sounds very fishy, especially the non-cancellation part.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
We will pursue this. The more of us that get annoyed the more input to shove this unethical practice.
Hope this is sorted out soon. Sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one on you.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
I'll be there this morning...I plan to rattle a few cages...we'll see what happens next.
• Eugene, Oregon
This guy sounds like a fraud and I hope that you nail him.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
I intend to...more to follow after I've been to see my father and talk to staff at the nursing home.