This Cloud Definitely Had A Silver Lining!

In 2002 I moved out of my childhood home, into what I can only describe as a crapshack. LOL My mother wanted to sell the house, and I needed a place to live, so I moved in there because of the proximity to downtown Guelph. Unfortunately the neighbourhood was crappy, and a lot of stuff went on there that would take me years to describe. I even prevented a couple of neighbours from killing each other, once. I spent a year in Arizona after meeting my husband on line, but still paid rent on that crappy little place, because I knew I wouldn't be in the USA forever. We came back to Canada, and moved into the little place, both of us being too lazy to do anything about it. LOL Anyone who's ever had to move, knows what I mean. Well, in 2013 the landlady sold the building, and the new landlords decided to renovate it. They evicted all of us, and again, we had to find a new place to live. Here is where the silver lining came in. We decided that if we did a little less travelling, we could afford a better place. Fact is, we were traveling so much because we wanted to get AWAY from the old apartment. Why not just get a place in which we actually wanted to (and could) live? Looking on line, I found an apartment in a highrise (11 floors) a little further from downtown. Guelph has a GREAT transit system, so it didn't matter that we weren't right downtown anymore. Best of all, the available apartment was on the 11th floor. Let me tell you, after 12 years of living in the dank and dark basement, the penthouse was going to be a RELIEF! We'd even have a balcony, and there would be a seasonable outdoor pool. Yay!!!!!! Who knew being evicted could actually be a good thing? Of course four days after we moved in there there was a transit lock out, so we were at the mercy of our slender pocket book for a few weeks. It was too expensive to go anywhere, but that's a topic for another post. Eventually the lock out got resolved, and the buses started rolling again. Isn't it amazing how what would normally be a totally craptacular situation actually turned into a major blessing? Here's hoping all your clouds have silver linings.
What an adjustment going from living in a basement up to the 11th floor. I'm glad that everything worked out for you in the long run. I don't live too far away from you, I'm in London.
I have family and friends in London. My husband and I also stayed in a Delta Hotel there. What a beautiful place!!! If you ever feel like taking a staycation, go to the Delta!!! It's spectacular...especially the pool area.
@danishcanadian We've had brunch there
Hope you get adjusted to a new location.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
Most clouds have a silver lining. It might be small...you might not spot it right away...but we tend to write our own story....and choose to see the bright side or the dark side of all of our experiences.
@BarBaraPrz (20147)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
The Guelph bus system must have improved greatly since I lived there. They generally stopped running at midnight, and only in the last year I lived there did they run on Sundays and went out to the industrial park in the south end. Where have you been, anyway? Haven't seen you around here in a donkey's age.
@Fleura (7195)
Partly it depends on how you think about things. You could even say that crappy place was a good thing because it led you to look for somewhere nicer and appreciate it more. I don't know how far out of town you are but could you get bicycles or scooters so you would be more independent? (Maybe not in the middle of winter)