Two Feet Too Far

@UncleJoe (10645)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
It’s not likely that I’m the only MyLotter who suffers this problem. And, if you don’t now, it’s quite possible for it to come upon you in the future,… if you live long enough. The problem is vision. Oh, I see well enough, normally. Before my cataract surgery the year before last, I had always been near-sighted. So, to read, or do any close work, I could see better if I removed my glasses. After switching to contact lenses years ago I found it necessary to wear reading glasses to see up close. Eventually, cataracts took over. Once the damaged eye tissue was extracted a permanent lens was implanted. My vision is now perfect for distance but I still need those Big Lot reading glasses, and they are at the center of this problem. The 3 pair I own have 3 different magnifications. The strength depends on the task. Enter: Second part of the problem. Between my age, and all the injuries accumulated on the way to it, I am not as limber as I used to be. I’m just not flexible enough to handle what was once a very simple undertaking. That is trimming my toenails. One of the problems with any of the 3 pair of glasses is judging distance. It may look to my eyes that my clippers are right on target when they are actually half an inch away. It’s a matter of getting my foot in a range where vision is the clearest. The only way I can see my tootsies with absolute clarity is without glasses and standing up. Then I am seeing them at nearly 6 feet away. Experimenting with unconventional methods turned out to be more risky than anticipated. It only took a tiny bit of trial and error to learn that a chainsaw is out of the question. I’ll never try that again. Not only is this problem a threat to my personal hygiene, it is also a matter of economics. If I can’t do the job without drawing blood, then I need to hire somebody who can. That is why I need your opinion on how I invest money. Which is cheaper, $40 a month for a pedicure, or should I spend it on a lot of new socks?
I think the pedicure is the way to go. Sometimes one can be overloaded with socks, and it is a struggle when one has to hunt for that missing sock.
@FourWalls (14719)
I'd go with the pedicure unless you can find socks that will also massage your feet.
My husband hit that point years ago, so you're not alone. I do his nails. And its not a big deal, because as a mother, I did our son's nails when he was young, and as a health care worker in my younger days, I did the nails of our elderly residents. So, its all good. Ask your wife, she should be willing to help you out.
@UncleJoe (10645)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I would love to @Juliaacv but she's never here. Becky's been staying with her 92 year old mother since she took a bad fall a couple of months ago. She is also a beautician and always keeps my hair trimmed but lately I have had to outrun the dogcatcher.
@UncleJoe You're funny. Then you don't really have any other option other then to get a pedi. Try to research the place well so that you know that its got the highest standards of hygiene practises. Watch out for that dogcatcher.
@nanette64 (17867)
• Fairfield, Texas
It's time Becky stepped up to the plate (or the toes as it were) and do it for you @UncleJoe . You do trust her with a pair of clippers don't you?
@UncleJoe (10645)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Absolutely @nanette64 But read my response to @Juliaacv
@nanette64 (17867)
• Fairfield, Texas
@UncleJoe Yeah, I caught that after I had already responded to you. The only other thing I can think of would be instead of the clippers to use an Emery Board. I know it would take longer to do the do, but at least you could feel how close you're getting to the tips of the toes with the left hand while the right is doing the filing. Maybe?
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
You still need to get a pedicure before you get the new socks. So maybe both?
@UncleJoe (10645)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Can't affoed both @thislittlepennyearns I guess it's a coin toss.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@UncleJoe Then id go with the pedicure.
You can sit on a chair or bed with your back resting against something- then raise both knees almost chest high. You should be able to see your toes comfortably and be in a position to trim the toe nails.
@UncleJoe (10645)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I've tried every position I can knot myself into @Kandae11 The position you described cuts off my breath.
I think you deserve a pedicure, I'm sorry you're having so much trouble seeing.
I am going the same way and it won't be long before I'll have to get someone else to cut my toe-nails.
I also do my husbands nails and so far, my glasses allow me to see close and near and in between.
My husband can't manage his nails either - I do them. It's not a job I enjoy, but it has to be done.
My husband can manage his own nails, thank goodness, but I always get pedicures. I find it a cheap little luxury. Go for the pedicures, and don't forget to tip.
I don´t have one problem with my toenails. First, I don´t see them. But if I did, I cannot reach them. I have been trying to get someone to come to my house to give me a pedicure, but I haven´t found them yet.