Jan #17 U.S. States: Kentucky

Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin in Kentucky in 1809. Daniel Boone settled there in 1769. Kentucky is the 15th state, entering the Union on June 1, 1792. Interestingly, Kentucky was proslavery but remained with the Union. In 1875, the Kentucky Derby was first run at Churchill Downs in Louisville. Something I enjoy watching every year on TV. Going there is still on my bucket list. It is the oldest continuously run horse race in the U.S. Kentucky is the nation's top producer of coal. Motto: "United We Stand, Divided We Fall." Nickname: Bluegrass State
@LeaPea2417 (22038)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Interesting, I didn't realize that Kentucky was proslavery but remained in the Union.
@FourWalls (15228)
If you visit the My Old Kentucky Home State Park in Bardstown you’ll see the slave quarters along with the mansion that inspired Stephen Foster to write our state song. I keep telling people the Civil War was not about slavery, it was about states’ rights, pointing out that Kentucky was a Union slave state. Nobody believes me.....
@LeaPea2417 (22038)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@FourWalls I believe you.
It was something that always puzzled me.
@FourWalls (15228)
You forgot our state religion: college basketball. I live not too far from Churchill Downs, so I’m not exactly enamored with a quarter of a million people crowding into this end of town...but it’s only for two days out of the year (Oaks day and Derby day).
That's a lot of people
The Kentucky delegation from myLot like this post!
Yes it's always interesting to read about your home state
Interesting facts. I've always known Kentucky for its bluegrass and for raising classy thoroughbreds.
Kentucky has both the rich and the poor just like every other state
@franxav (5651)
No wonder, Lincoln saw the life of those who live in log cabins from close quarters and did a lot to change their conditions.
Have you seen the movie, "Lincoln". A lot of it was filmed here near where I live, in Petersburg, Virginia. We could go to the location and see the actors walking around on the streets and eating in the local restaurants. They chose this location because many of the buildings in Old Town Petersburg predate the Civil War.