H&M fashion store and its racist advert

racism, H&M , black, people
@shynu44 (4976)
there has been serious protests across the world since the racist H&M advert showing a boy wearing a hoodie with the message "coolest monkey in the jungle" . what is your take on this?
@JSAph8888 (972)
In my opinion, this is not racist. The one who thinks, upon looking at this photo, is the racist. Why? Because you think that the black kid is associated with a monkey. What if a white-skinned boy model this kind of hoodie? I can also think that the white-skinned boy is also a monkey.
@shynu44 (4976)
@TheHorse , of course they did.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@shynu44 Only black kids? For reals?
@shynu44 (4976)
My take? That it isn't actually racist, although people love to scream 'racist' about everything.
@shynu44 (4976)
what do you call it then? marketing stunt?
@shynu44 Well, it's a jungle out there (life in general). A certain type of thing on a playground is called 'monkey bars'. There is a popular phrase 'Not my circus, not my monkeys'. None of those are racist. I've seen kids screaming and hollering on a playground like a pack of monkeys in a jungle. I don't see anything here saying 'This kid is inferior because he is black'. So no...to me, it is not racist.
@shynu44 (4976)
@JolietJake....next time they should write "the coolest hustler in the jungle"
@zarlamain (24525)
This isn't racist. I read somewhere that the model chose this sweatshirt to wear and his mother was perfectly okay with it.
@shynu44 (4976)
the message on the sweatshirt?
@zarlamain (24525)
@shynu44 Yes, both the mother and the child were perfectly fine with it.
• Peoria, Arizona
It wasn't meant to be racist, the people who did the shoot were not racist. It was an accident. The clothing has been taken down and the mother of the boy even said that this whole thing is stupid. I think it is silly, things should have been looked over better, but also..that is what you call kids! It has nothing to do with he is black. Kids are called monkeys because they are crazy and climb over everything. It is just a phrase and shouldn't have meant any harm.
@shynu44 (4976)
accident? they should have written something like 'the coolest hustler in the jungle"
@suzybear (81)
• London, England
I think this went over the top, it isn't racist, it's just a little boy in a hoodie. Who doesn't call little kids cheeky monkeys? I heard about the shops that were pulled apart by protesters in South Africa, it's just completely crazy
@shynu44 (4976)
yea its crazy down here.
• London, England
@shynu44 I saw an article come up the other day that the mum of the little boy in the picture was telling people to get over it lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
@shynu44 I wonder if its worse than in the US.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
This is a simple case of certain people searching for any excuse to shout Racism.
@shynu44 (4976)
maybe blacks should stop paying attention to stuffs like this
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@shynu44 The majority do not pay attention, just the minority searching for arguments.
@aureliah (16195)
Maybe it’s just an issue because it was worn by a black kid who is actually Kenyan. If it was a white kid it shouldn’t have been an issue and I think that H & M did not do that intentionally.
@shynu44 (4976)
it may still be an issue even if the boy is white. i dont think people should pay attention to stuffs like this.
@aureliah (16195)
@shynu44 yeah they should not but they have made it such a big issue
@averygirl72 (16656)
That's really bad. It's degrading
@shynu44 (4976)
highly degrading
• Pleasant Hill, California
Toward monkeys? Or kids who like to climb?
@Docdrl (76)
Thank God after the racist advert, they came out to apologies for it. Serious it's racist and a by-gone now