Homes lower than road surface

Image credit: rumah.com
@yanzalong (10172)
Indonesia
Some people believe that if your house is located lower than road surface will bring you misfortune or bad luck. I have no idea the reason behind this. In my opinion, it's probably because low-lying area is considered unsafe. Maybe yes maybe no. I've been living for almost 2 and a half years where I've found many houses located just deep down below the road. I noticed they lived there peacefully and I haven't seen them look misery or miserable either. Some seemed to have a vehicle parked on their front yards.
I would be worried about landslides especially looking at the photo you've put up here. A landslide would definitely be considered bad luck.
@yanzalong (10172)
I guess so.
@ramapo17 (25891)
• Melbourne, Florida
@JudyEv I think that would be very bad luck.
@ramapo17 (25891)
• Melbourne, Florida
@yanzalong I had flooding in a house that was level with the ground so I imagine there would be a lot of water there to.
Do they live in an area where hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes can get to them or are their houses built securely?
@yanzalong (10172)
No, they don't. It's only their homes being lower than the road surface.
@yanzalong ok yanzalong.
There are many houses like the one in the photo in our area, because we live in a mountain country. The car in the photo is the same my husband had for many years.
@yanzalong (10172)
I see. I think the area in your country ia very nice.
@yanzalong All those who have a house on the lake have a position similar to the one in the photo. The road is higher and the lower part of the house has a space for a boat.
Some are fine for decades, and then a torrential rain of epic proportions occurs and a mudslide takes out the house. I wouldn't feel safe living there, plus the insurance premiums for those houses are really high.
@yanzalong (10172)
Absolutely. I agree.
@ricki_911 (19983)
• Toronto, Ontario
I could see it being an issue if the road way was close to the house and cause issues if driven off the road.
@yanzalong (10172)
That's one of the things considered dangerous. They chose the lower ones probably they couldn't find better ones -- higher than road surface.
I don't think that it is a safe place for a house.
@ramapo17 (25891)
• Melbourne, Florida
I would worry about getting flooded if we had bad rain storms.