I avoided a gang of raccoons this morning

Los Angeles, California
It is not an uncommon sight for me to see raccoons during my early morning walks when it is still dark but I had not seen any in months. This morning I spied the ambling figure of a raccoon up ahead followed by another then a second and then a third. Four raccoons were too many for me so I crossed the street to the other side. These raccoons did not retreat as they normally do when spotting me. I next saw a fifth raccoon. Even though the trailing four were not small this must have been a mama and four cubs. They were rooting around a storm drain looking for morsels. The raccoon glaring at me must have been the mother as it raised itself up on hind legs in a defensive stance as we engaged in a stare down. This with auto traffic going on. Man has really messed up nature by creating an environment where so much refuse keeps these animals fat and sassy with countless hiding places and only predators coyotes and passing cars. Raccoons may look cool but they are vicious animals and their population is out of control in my area.
My goodness. Do they normally come out in daylight like that or was it still dark? We have them.but i havent seen any in years. Glad you were safe!
It was still dark. That is when I see nocturnal animals like raccoons, skunks, opossum and coyotes.
@sjvg1976 (16808)
No they don't come out in day light I heard that these are nocturnal animals who come out in the dark only.
Wow, that is fairly amazing. I have rarely seen them during the day in fact I haven't for years. I guess it was early enough they hadn't retired for the day yet. I have never seen more than raccoon at once.
@hostessman (7845)
• Tucson, Arizona
i agree they are cute little animals but they can be very nasty when they want to be
@sugartoes (36476)
• Greencastle, Indiana
wow that must have been a sight to see that many in one place they can be somewhat dangerous to tangle with at one time I guess.
@ricki_911 (18194)
• Toronto, Ontario
Usually if they ignore you , when you ignore them.
You would hear me in your living room. If that were by me. You can hear me when I see one. Lord help me with that. no way.
@nomus24g (18231)
these cute looking creatures can create ruckus....
Do they attack people?
They will if provoked.
@JohnRoberts I see John.
• Olney, Illinois
Normally they are only 'vicious' if cornered or threatened. But so is an opossum. Hitchhiking at night long ago, I kicked something as I was walking along. Ended up being a 'possum that proceeded to try and climb my leg. I left...quickly.
The opossum just wanted to get up and close and personal. Scar would dig it.
• Jalandhar, India
Do they bite as well ?
If you are foolish enough to get close they will bite. Raccoons can be ferocious fighters.
• Eugene, Oregon
As I recall, they can carry rabies too. Too bad they live in that urban area.
You are correct. A major carrier of rabies.
@bagarad (8856)
• Paso Robles, California
I read a book years ago about a woman who fed all the wild critters every night. She actually prepared food for dozens of raccoons, skunks, possums, others, and they would visit her every night to eat it. I can't remember the name of the book, but she much have been quite lonely to do that. She really enjoyed seeing her "pets' every night. I think raccoons are cute, and I had a few visit me in Templeton when we still had cats we were feeding outside. Wew watched them through the sliding glass door, but I know better than to get close to them. A friend told me how a raccoon had almost killed his dog. I think that was in Monterey Park. I guess they can be very vicious. I've only been close to one outside once -- when we were camping at Prairie Creek State Park and they came to our campsite to see if we had anything good to give them. We didn't.
@tammys85 (9248)
Oh man, I would probably try to avoid them for fear of getting attacked, especially if it's a mama and her babies.
@acelawrites (10866)
They look so cute!
We don't get them in England, and I understand that they aren't as nice as they look.
@sjvg1976 (16808)
I haven't seen any in my life. You were lucky that they didn't do anything otherwise they do attack man when in a group.
@Shortypie (114)
I remember seeing one next to my leg about 4 years ago. That was the first time in my life being up close to one. The Raccoon did not bother me. He just walked beside me the whole time.
When conditions are ideal for a species, their numbers can certainly soon get out of control.
we used to have raccoons here that would hide in the storm drains on the street. they were so fat i'm surprised they could squeeze in there.
I watched an show about them on PBS, it's really disturbing how many there are in our cities. Their droppings can make humans very sick also, if they dry out and become airborne (if someone was sweeping).