In The Old Days Kids Got Their Mouths Washed Out With Soap For Lying And Swearing.

My husband and I were discussing some of the crazy on-line challenges kids have taken over the years, and the irony of the latest one to hit the net; the Tide Pod Challenge. First off, we are, in no way, condoning this. We agree it's stupid and dangerous. However, we did have to chuckle over one little thing. My husband is a great deal older than I am, and remembers how parents disciplined kids in the old days. We're talking the 40's and 50's, here. Anyway, he remembers one time in his childhood, when he must've said something very very bad, and the consequence for this was to get his mouth washed out with soap. OK it was regular run of the mill bath soup, but it was still soap, engaging with a part of the body where soap really doesn't belong. Anyway, our weird senses of humour took over, and we started thinking. Have you heard the filthy mouths on today's youths? I'm no prude, but some kids say things that even make me shake my head. Seems they don't need their parents or grandparents to wash their mouths out with soap, as they're doing it themselves. LOL Yeah, we know we're "sick," but you know how hard it is to stay sane in today's crazy world? LOL Gotta find humour where you can.
If I had cursed at my parents I might not be here today! But I did get my mouth washed out with soap once. I remember it clearly because it was disgusting! I don't know how so many kids got to where they feel comfortable verbally abusing their parents, or teachers or police officers. I would be just fine with using soap in some of the mouths of people nowadays.
I'm one of those weird people not bothered by swearing, but I would like to wash them out for their voice tone. LOL Maybe this Tide Pod thing is natural selection at work! Sometimes I wonder.
• Redlands, California
@danishcanadian Yay, love my foul mouthed creatures or at least tolerant of them. You sound like my sister she goes crazy if someone has an annoying voice. or Raises their voice to loud at times like me when get excited. Funny my brother can get away with it, but not me. I am not sure why my voice is way more sexy that his. He just smarter, think that is why.
@crossbones27 does she have a gender oreferwnce, as in, men can be boisterous, but not women? Not me. People drive me nuts equally.
my mom did that in the 70's-until she heard about a kid choking on soap..
I was born in 1982, so never had that happen. Good point about the choking. Hubby was born in 1946.
@crossbones27 (20779)
• Redlands, California
Actually my mom actually did wash my mouth out with soap. It was dumb and she even admitted it later and apologized, but still says I deserved it. I do not disagree often when I know I am in the wrong but was not in the wrong then. I think what it was is like the political climate is today. We just had two different philosophies and she thought washing my mouth out with soap would change my mindset and did not. It is indeed very hard to stay sane in this world. People so stuck in their ways and do not care how you think, you just have to think like them or else.
I know about different philosophies. My mother is rather religious (Christian), my father is very secular, and I'm somewhere in the middle. My family is Canadian, and I married an American, who is also in the middle. He said if I were an American I'd be a Libertarian. Libertarians in the USA are kinda what Liberals are in Canada.
• Redlands, California
@danishcanadian That's interesting and please do not say that to a Republican. lol Some claim they are libertarian as far as Republican,but really I do not see it. In the US anyway. I am a bit of everything, just get upset when people go overboard with things. I mean everyone is conservative on many things and sometimes we more liberal and sometimes we just need to Rebel. To tie yourself down to something seems a bit foolish if we are indeed an evolving species like we claim.
@mandala100 (48352)
@danishcanadian Is that so my friend?
Kids nowadays just have it relatively easy compared to the previous generations.
@BarBaraPrz (20533)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I don't know if I'd call it humorous, but certainly ironic.
@Plethos (10450)
I never had my mouth washed out with soap.