TV Review Out Of The Unknown No Place Like Earth

Photo taken by me – my picture of a spaceship
Preston, England
1965 – Spoiler alerts The first episode of the science fiction series, based, in this case based on a short story by John Wyndham. Earth has been destroyed in a nuclear war but not before man has colonized both Venus and Mars. On the Red Planet, Bert (Terence Morgan) moves round on a raft on the central canal, performing basic repair for the Martians, and falling in love with a Martian woman. Other Earthmen just sit around doing nothing, lamenting the loss of their home World. Bert’s idyllic calm is disturbed when the Earthmen from Venus arrive. They claim to be turning their World into a new Earth and Bert goes with them, but finds the Earthmen have enslaved the Venusians (played by children in painted motor-cycle crash helmets). Bert kills a slave master to free the Venusians and stows away on a rocket back to Mars, before coldly and casually blowing up the rocket and its crew as he leaves, returning to the happy relationship he had with his Martian girlfriend. This tries to say clever things about colonialism and repeating the mistakes of history, but it is quite dull, with lots of talk and exposition. The acting is rather unimpassioned, and we never see any Earth women among the men colonizing both Worlds. Fortunately later episodes and stories were much better told. There are short cameos for British actors Hannah Gordon and Geoffrey Palmer. Questions – Why does Bert show no shock or other feeling about the murders he commits in his escape back to Mars? Also, why does he assume that the loss of their space ship will stop the Venusians going to Mars again when they would more likely send a team there to investigate what happened to the last lot? His happiness seems short lived to me, and he tells the Martians nothing of what he did or why. Arthur Chappell
I'm not into Sci-Fi, but do have a huge interest in the planets and solar system. lol
• Trinidad And Tobago
Wow you really captured the story in the movie. Perhaps ethical questions has little or no impact on earthmen who had lost their home, hence it was more important to 'free' a people than feel remorse for murder. Or even to see it as a 'killing'...especially as they were not human. What do you think?
• Preston, England
@Gita17112016 the people he kills are all human. He is protecting himself and the Venusians and Martians. The theme s very much about whether in colonizing other Worlds humanity will become wicked and tyrannical as we did in imposing slavery here as in the colonial conquest of Africa.
• Trinidad And Tobago
@arthurchappell Chances are history will repeat itself. Colonizing a new world (uninhabited) might be peaceful and so poses no challenge to the question of taking or enslaving a life. However colonizing a world already inhabited will have to involve a conquest...because it will be a fight for the same space and same resources. To me, our sense of humanity (being human) already include such traits as being 'wicked and tyrannical' as opposed to our sense of humanity (to recognize goodness in human and to act on that belief) and to act in a humane manner. So, as I said history will repeat itself. Conquest will result in slavery because GREED is always the motivating factor. Humanitarian act will follow when most of the wealth is already disperse. Isaac Asimov dealt with something like this. I was very impressed with how he very cleverly repeated history with a futuristic guise. However much things changes...they remain the same.
• Preston, England
@Gita17112016 very perceptive and true sadly.
@1hopefulman (32406)
Where can we see this program?
• Preston, England
@1hopefulman it is available on DVD - put Out Of The Unknown into an Amazon search
@1hopefulman (32406)
Intriguing. I was just watching The Martian last night. I'd to be alone on a planet like this guy was.
• Preston, England
@celticeagle he does meet other people and Martian women unlike poor Matt Damon
@arthurchappell ......That's good.
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
I love the story and the genre but 1965 movies had poor special effects.
• Preston, England
@Madshadi yes, this TV episode was very low budget
Never heard of this series but know Terence Morgan was a film star.
• Preston, England
yes Morgan was a British actor, best known for a series he did about Sir Francis Drake in the title role. He was The Mummy in the 1960's film Curse Of The Mummy's Tomb
@db20747 (9375)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
Very interesting story. Very fascinated with mars. The rover is there collecting info and taking pictures. No telling what they'll find. Real science fiction!!
• Preston, England
@db20747 this is much more old fashioned TV SF with Mars and Venus having an atmosphere
It sounds like an interesting movie. The premise of this movie sounds pretty entertaining, although I am not a Sci Fi buff, I have enjoyed movied like the Martian and Gravity.
@Angela150 (957)
• London, England
I am not a fan of science fiction. I used to watch Dr Who back in the day!