Finally Retired

@noni1959 (3942)
I have been trying to go out on early retirement for 16 months and finally OPM approved me. I didn't know they did back on January 11th and my HR specialist didn't notify me until Wednesday the 18th. I was OK with that but the issue; once you are approved you go out the end of the pay period and that was two days away. I had one day to get ready because I was off one of those two days for appointments. I'm so happy these last few months I prepped, sent records to archive etc so other than last minute work, I just had to do the separation process. My boss tried to get me to stay but I refused. I'm asked what I'm going to be doing and I said the same thing I am now without the work hours and stress. Once my life adjust some I will seek something part time with purpose but getting my health under control is my main priority. My travel will be less than it has been since my income will be but I'm good with that since I live around so many natural wonders, lakes etc to explore. It feels odd and scary.
I am sure you will enjoy being retired. No more early morning wake up and quick breakfast looking at the clock. Take your time, take care of your health and then you can search for a part time job.
@noni1959 (3942)
I'm up early still since we have a foster baby here. I have a quarters downstairs but my son and his family are there temporary until they get a place. They moved here from CA. I'm on the top floor so get to here the baby wake. I don't mind. I can have my coffee in my PJ's with no rushing.
@louievill (19935)
Good luck on your retirement and pursuing what you like to do the most with you new found free time
@noni1959 (3942)
Thank you. I'm helping with the foster baby but haven't made plans yet. I'm a home type person so don't need to fill up space much.
Congratulations! I retired early, too, and just love my life!!!!
@noni1959 (3942)
I'm hoping by the end of this year I can say that. I had to retire over medical. It doesn't mean I can't love my life. I'm working on that.
@noni1959 I hope your health improve a great deal now that work stress is out of the way.
@noni1959 (3942)
@yoalldudes Thank you. I'm still adjusting but the stress has gone down some.
@TheSojourner (17298)
P.s. congratulations on your retirement! It really does get easier as you start to settle in. And the nice thing is that if you want to you can get a small part time job somewhere just to keep yourself busy if you want to. Or volunteer. Or anything. The choices are now yours!
@noni1959 (3942)
I can do some volunteering but have to find where they don't need me as physical since I'm on disability due to my severe psoriatic arthritis. I have been a part of the foster baby we have (he has Down Syndrome) and love working with him. It's something I really would like to do with others.
@noni1959 that's wonderful!
• New Delhi, India
I hope you are able to settle down fast in this new phase of your life.
@noni1959 (3942)
Thank you. I'll have more time to volunteer which I didn't while working.
• New Delhi, India
@noni1959 yes, make the best use of ot now
@sw8sincere (5202)
I hope you will enjoy the rest of your time without the pressure and stress anymore. =)
@noni1959 (3942)
Thank you. The pressure from work is gone so stress will lessen as time goes on. I still wake up thinking I'm going to work.
I wish I can have my early retirement. But I am sure that you will be fine and adjusted to a new life.
@noni1959 (3942)
I wasn't ready to retire but with my health it was necessary. I'll adjust and find my new path.
@noni1959 I hope things will be fine. I am sure you will be adjusted to it soon.
@noni1959 (3942)
@Shavkat Thank you. One of the biggest is a third of the income I was making. That's a huge adjustment.
This will be amazing for you to be able to relax and not have stress from work. My dad was stressed so much at his work his blood pressure sky rocketed. After a few strokes left him with memory problems and confusion he no longer works. He isn't effected physically thankfully. So much less stress now for him in his life and he is able to travel more as well but the low income is the hardest.
@noni1959 (3942)
I'm sorry your dad had strokes but happy he is able to travel more and less stress. The income is hard especially when co-pays take away savings. I like being able to have my coffee without rushing. I worked from home a lot before the retirement and having to turn on my work computer became real stressful so early in the morning. There always seemed to be a crisis at work I needed to take care of.
I think I would enjoy working at home but it probably depends on what work is being done and for what company. I have friends who love it and those that hated it.
Wow well the first part sounded great but it sounds like it changed a lot towards the end of your working there
@mydanods (6747)
• Nigeria
Take the opportunity to explore nature that surrounds you. I imagine that when I retire I'll start gardening. I might even write a novel or biography.
@noni1959 (3942)
My son-in-law is going to create a small green house for me to begin gardening this summer. I'm looking forward to it.
@mydanods (6747)
• Nigeria
@noni1959 Gardening is very good. In the house where we used to live, we had a small garden where we planted tomatoes.
@noni1959 (3942)
@mydanods I live in a forest so my plants, except for a few tomatoes, were eaten last year by rabbits and deer. I moved those to the second floor deck and got a few through the summer. With a green house I should be able to do well.
Being retired is great, you will soon wonder how you got the time to go to work.. Enjoy.
@noni1959 (3942)
I miss working though. I think it's because I haven't been able to do much else but babysit.
@noni1959 Oh yes, you do need a bit of variety.
@TheSojourner (17298)
It's been 2 years since I've worked for the company that I did the workshops. I've done a couple of things freelance since then. I've been retired on Social Security Now for six months. I'm taking classes at the local College on audit, so that keeps me busy. I've started painting and doing other art projects. I'm writing. And I go out for coffee and meet with friends a lot. There are some times that I miss working, generally because of the paycheck, but there is freedom in being able to wake up in the morning and go take a walk in the woods or other things. Aren't you up here in the Pacific Northwest, like I am?
@noni1959 (3942)
I am. I'm rural Scio about 26 miles from Salem. The income isn't coming in yet since it takes awhile. It will be something to get used to. I am enrolled at the college but haven't enrolled in a class for spring yet. I have two degrees and not going for another - just something that interest me like Forensic Science or Special Needs. I would love to paint but just not artistic.
@noni1959 I said I wasn't artistic also but working with this creative arts coach I see creativity differently than I did before.
• Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Use the time for healthing.. welcome to retirement..
@noni1959 (3942)
I'm researching and applying healthy eating and meditation. Less stress is great.
• Yogyakarta, Indonesia
@noni1959 yes... of course
• Eugene, Oregon
Good for you! You will soon love it!
@noni1959 (3942)
I'm still in awe of saying I'm retired.
• Eugene, Oregon
@noni1959 Yes, it is strange at first to hear yourself say the words.
Well, it's probably scary at first but if you don't enjoy the job anymore then what's the point of staying. I hope you find something else that makes you happy.
@noni1959 (3942)
Thank you. I was with them for 23 years and planned to retire in two years but my health made it necessary now. I no longer enjoyed my job. Where I worked changed so much and caused so much stress over the years.
@noni1959 We don't to get young already.
@SAM774 (4178)
Good luck on your retirement.... Enjoy your time
@noni1959 (3942)
Thank you. I still have to remind myself it's OK not to get up to get ready for work.
I hope you really enjoy your retirement. I know we have. We took no time at all to get used to it.
@noni1959 (3942)
I'm still adjusting. I have to remind myself I don't have a job or work computer when I get up. I've been there many years so will take awhile. It's hard to let things go that I know the other person taking over can't do. They will figure it out.
Welcome to retirement. Sleep in and experience no job stress.
@noni1959 (3942)
Thank you. It's been great not having to stress about work. I can't sleep in but I can enjoy my coffee in peace.
Enjoy your retirement time to enjoy and, relax.
@noni1959 (3942)
Thank you. I'm going to take a class and volunteer some.
@sjvg1976 (18403)
That's good. Our health is priority then comes other things. As far as I am concerned I can't take retirement as I have lots of responsibilities in my shoulders.