Earning a Living

@UncleJoe (9461)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Although I have posted stories about when I drove over-the-road for a living, that was only a small part of how I used to make a living. There were a few other vocations “under my belt” that I relied on. These were chosen professions for an uneducated man that paid more than minimum wage. It took a lot more than that to support a family. One such occupation was as a heavy equipment operator. Bulldozers, excavators, motor-graders, etc. However, this is not a skill that is developed overnight. It actually took years to become proficient enough to become a 1st Class Operator. My first time at running a dozer was at age 15. That only lasted for about 3 hours. That was because I got the 20 ton machine stuck in a marsh that I was told not to go out onto. It wasn’t until I was about 26 that the opportunity rose again. I applied for and got a job that I was nowhere near qualified for. Grading a new golf course. The truth was that was that even though I could start the machine, move it all around and make the blade go up and down, I still didn’t know how to actually grade with it. Nor did I have any idea how to push down trees. Trying to was my undoing. The D-5 Caterpillar I was running happened to be almost new. Yet it lacked one safety feature that all earth-moving machines are required by law to have today. A cab shield, which is not a cab, but a steel roof with 4 steel supports for roll-over protection. There was nothing between me and the sky. One of the tasks my foreman instructed me to perform was to take down a large Pine tree that was dying at the edge of the fairway. That sounded like fun to me. I had never pushed a tree down before. Nosing the blade up against the trunk, I expected that tree to just fall right over. It was until years later that I was shown the correct technique in removing trees. This time taught me a more valuable lesson. That I had no business doing what I was. Loggers call them “widow-makers“. Something that will kill a man not paying attention. I wasn’t married at that time but could just as easily been killed. Although most of the tree top appeared to be green and alive, there were a couple of large dead limbs up there about 70-80 feet, waiting to drop. All it took was a little shaking. “KA-BAM!” A dead, but still solid huge limb fell right down on the dozer’s right track, a smaller branch slapping my right hand on the blade control. I froze. A foot or so to the left and I would not be posting this. MORE STORIES COMING
@Platespinner (16533)
I'm glad that the limb missed! My husband's adventures in logging as a young man ended rather abruptly when he flipped a skidder. Like you, he went where he was told not to go (it must be a guy thing ).
@UncleJoe (9461)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Platespinner Years of experience in that line of work has taught me that it is easier to get hurt than not. Usually because of avoidable mistakes.
@UncleJoe That's actually a very apt description of life "it is easier to get hurt than not. Usually because of avoidable mistakes."
@FourWalls (12903)
That's why we need people who know how to operate them. I wouldn't get near a bulldozer. I like to doze, and that's no bull...but that's the beginning and end of my relationship with those big monsters.
@UncleJoe (9461)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Easier said than done @FourWalls It took almost 15 years to learn everything you're NOT supposed to do with equipment. It takes years of practice to become smooth and efficient.
Marshy ground is sneaky. I've 'buried' a tractor plowing a field in the river bottoms before. Never operated a 'dozer, I've got experience with a backhoe, and in my younger days I sometimes kept a backup ho around
@UncleJoe (9461)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I like backhoes @JolietJake but I prefer excavators. Especially mini's. I used to own 3 of them
• Riga, Latvia
You had a lucky angel riding on your shoulder.
@UncleJoe (9461)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
You are right there @RasmaSandra But he dove out of the way when he saw that big limb coming down!
I suppose it would take a lot of practice to avoid being killed by a fallen tree or limb. Glad that limb did not kill you!
@UncleJoe (9461)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Most machines I have used for clearing timber since then @Corbin5 have steel cages built around the cab.
We had a tree limb come down near us just a few days ago - and we weren't even shaking the tree!
@Spontaneo (1107)
You sure did have an guardian angel!